Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CT Teen is banned from going to the Prom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Teen is banned from going to the Prom.

I think they took this too far. All the kid wanted to do was ask this girl to the prom. I think it was pretty cool what he did. If anything they could of given him detention or a 1 day supension.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/...red-from-prom/

Once again, it's scary that we have idiots like that educating our kids. Makes me really glad that my own kid only has one year of school left.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

What did I miss? Clearly, a whole chunk of this story is missing. Trespass? Safety risk?

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        What did I miss? Clearly, a whole chunk of this story is missing. Trespass? Safety risk?
        Not supposed to be on school property at that time of the day. Probably had to stand on a ladder to do it so if he fell and got hurt, he could sue the hell out of the school.

At first I thought it was paint in which case I thought a harsher punishment should have been given out. Then I read that it was just tape. At most the kid deserves a detention. Make him take it off the wall. But not allow him to go to prom because of it? That makes no sense.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          Not supposed to be on school property at that time of the day. Probably had to stand on a ladder to do it so if he fell and got hurt, he could sue the hell out of the school.

At first I thought it was paint in which case I thought a harsher punishment should have been given out. Then I read that it was just tape. At most the kid deserves a detention. Make him take it off the wall. But not allow him to go to prom because of it? That makes no sense.
          I too thought it was paint too at first, although I think it was card letters taped not letters made from tape.

Comment

I suspect that at least part of the problem is that it *is* a really cute way to ask, and that the whole school saw it. So if punishment *doesn't* include not being allowed to go after all, next year others would try to top it.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Wow I'm so glad I don't go to school these days and that my kids are all just about done with it. That's utter bullshit. Complete and total bullshit.

Way to harsh a punishment for something that caused NO HARM.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post

And that's exactly why I hate our sue happy society. It's making us (school board) all so uptight that we see a harmless jesture as something that deserves punishment.

Comment

Actually, I know why it was considered a hazard. Those are foot-high cardboard letters. Without knowing their weight, I would assume that they were taken from boxes, and if one were to fall, it would pose a threat to anyone entering or exiting the school.

However, the punishment is still too harsh. Banning people from prom (which I think is a lame event, but lots of kids get all fired up over it) for things that aren't out and out reckless or dangerous is really overboard. If the school board were using their heads, they could have made the kids involved do a presentation for the school about why such a thing was ill-conceived and the various risks that they introduced.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    Actually, I know why it was considered a hazard. Those are foot-high cardboard letters. Without knowing their weight, I would assume that they were taken from boxes, and if one were to fall, it would pose a threat to anyone entering or exiting the school.
                    That, and the student obviously required a ladder to put them up.

The last thing a poorly-funded public school needs is to lose a bunch of money in a lawsuit. Everyone was lucky this time, and there were no accidents, but they had to make an example of the kid. I remember what high school was like; this kind of shit could have caught on in a big way.

Comment

Whatever happened to "Hey, wanna go to the prom?"

I'm siding with the school on this one. What the kid did was unnecessary, potentially dangerous, and depending on the area laws, trespassing and possibly vandalism. There was no reason to pull such a silly stunt.
                      I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladeeda View Post
                        Whatever happened to "Hey, wanna go to the prom?"

I'm siding with the school on this one. What the kid did was unnecessary, potentially dangerous, and depending on the area laws, trespassing and possibly vandalism. There was no reason to pull such a silly stunt.
                        I disagree ...it's not silly it's inventive and shows imagination...something that people seem to lack these days.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

This must be the classier version of painting your sweetheart's name on the city water tower.

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                            I disagree ...it's not silly it's inventive and shows imagination...something that people seem to lack these days.
                            Yes, yes, all that genius inventiveness and imagination to ask a girl to a school dance. Step back, Leonardo.

He put a sign on a building. And lacked the common sense to figure the school MIGHT have a slight problem with that. Best I can say about him is at least he had the foresight to not use paint.
                            I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

After some more thought on this - who had to take all that down? Obviously they couldn't let the kid do it (liability issues), so a staff member had to get a ladder and risk their neck to take down the letters. I kinda have a problem with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X