Yet more stupidity in schools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet more stupidity in schools.

This one is in my own back yard. I posted about this on CS a few months ago, but I figured it's better as a Fratching topic to debate it.

There's a small anime convention that's put on by a local high school's anime club, and hosted by the high school itself. From what I understand, this con has been going on for about 3-4 years now, so it's not exactly new. Except apparently the school board got wind of it this year (apparently in the past, the principal had okayed everything personally and not really let it get out that there was a con being held at the high school) and they imposed some VERY strict rules.

-Cosplayers (people who dress up like anime characters) must have their costumes approved before they can go to the con. "Inappropriate" costumes are not allowed (no elaboration as to what is "inappropriate.")

-Cosplaying not allowed in the hallways (not sure where it is allowed, then, I guess just in the event rooms? Not sure how cosplayers get dressed and get to where they're going, though.)

-Any vendors over the age of 18 must submit to a background check.

-No other guests (musical, voice actors, etc.) over the age of 18 allowed in the door.

-Only students of the school may attend as attendees or volunteers. Must have school ID to enter. Only exception is that parents of students may also attend. Former students (alumni), students of a different school, or adults who aren't parents of a student may not attend.

The con is this weekend. Originally I was going to go as a vendor, which, from what I understand, technically I could go even though I'm over 18 since I'd be a vendor, but I'd need to get a background check. I don't have anything to hide, but I also didn't want to get mixed up with such strict rules, so I decided to back out. Besides, with rules like that, I can't imagine they're going to be successful...I didn't think it'd be worth it to sit there for 8 hours and only get one or two sales.

I don't really see a problem with any of those rules.

I can understand your reluctance to participate, though. Maybe skip it this year, see how it turns out, and re-evaluate next year?

Comment

Fear of liability rears its ugly head again.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I really, really don't understand the "no cosplay in the hallways" rule. It's not like the con is going to take place during school hours and they're worried the cosplayers will distract other students. This is on a Saturday, when no one but the con-goers will be there. Why can't cosplayers walk around the halls? How are they supposed to get from one room to another, even from the bathroom to change, to where they're going? If someone could offer some kind of explanation as to why a school would impose this rule, I might understand it better.

And barring everyone except students, I think is ridiculous. Even if they were allowing other minors in, I would understand it a little more. But no, even if someone is under 18, if they don't go to the school in question, they can't go to the con.

I know it's all liability issues. But this is not an anime convention. This is...I'm not sure what to call it. But to call it an anime convention is just an insult to regular cons. Anime cons are supposed to be about bringing people who are interested in Japanese culture together, and introducing said culture to people who are unfamiliar with it. Typically there are voice actors, bands, panelists, etc. who offer presentations about different aspects of anime and Japanese culture. They can't have any of that as this con. It's basically just a gathering of the anime club members and their parents.

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
          This is on a Saturday, when no one but the con-goers will be there. Why can't cosplayers walk around the halls?

And barring everyone except students, I think is ridiculous.
          So there's no sports going on? No other extra-carriculars? No other events? It's the spring so sports teams being around on a Saturday wouldn't be surprising. This would mean there will be other kids there.

So barring random adults from walking around the school dressed up to the point where you'll probably not be able to recognize them easily around a bunch of kids and with no background checks you have no idea who is walking around with kids in the hall.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            So barring random adults from walking around the school dressed up to the point where you'll probably not be able to recognize them easily around a bunch of kids and with no background checks you have no idea who is walking around with kids in the hall.
            Wow, nice assumptions that it's all a bunch of insane asylum inmates running loose all over the school attacking the students. You just love jumping to off beat conclusions, don't you?

Considering that it isn't the first year this con has been held, evidence points that it's well organized and handled professionally, with people able to handle problem con goers and ensure that they stay in the areas that the con is being run in. As well, con goers (dragoncon excluded) are generally civil and the most that tends to happen with cosplayers in the halls is someone wanting a picture if the costume is good enough.

I've seen similar cons held in similar venues with no major incident. This is nothing more than a school board getting panicky and feeling the need to flex their muscles.

Comment

I've never been to a con, but I've read a lot from people who've been to them, seen pictures, video, etc. My impression is that 99% of the people who go to cons to cosplay are really nice people who are just out to have fun. The other 1% is the reason the school board got panicky. My suggestion would be to find a new location for the con.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                The other 1% is the reason the school board got panicky. My suggestion would be to find a new location for the con.
                This is what has been suggested again and again by people who have been to the con in the past, but can't go this year because they either graduated or are students of a different school. Hopefully the con will be able to find a venue they can hold it at in the future that won't have such strict standards.

As far as sports practices being held at the school on the weekend -- does that actually happen? I honestly don't know. I do know that the con changed its original date (it was going to be last weekend) due to a "sporting event happening the same weekend" and they didn't want to be competing with said event. So I'm going to guess that if there is any sports function going on this weekend, it would be practice at best, and not a game that would be drawing in large crowds. What sports practice inside the school? Basketball? Maybe swimming? Are those sports in season right now? I also know that the con is utilizing both the gym and the cafeteria at the school, so there's no sports practices happening in there.

Also, one of the school's blanket rules is "no costumes allowed on school grounds" which sort of explains (in a school district sense) why cosplay isn't allowed in the hallways. But answer me this: Which is more distracting, a cheerleader in a mini-skirt and a sleeveless top, or someone dressed up like a white mage? Oh, but the cheerleaders are okay because they're wearing uniforms, but someone dressed like a white mage for a one day event is right out because they're in a costume.

Comment

They also shouldn't let non-students and people over 18 go to the sporting events. You know how some people get around sporting events.

Okay, okay, that's not my real argument. I just can't help myself sometimes.
                  "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                  We are contented, because he says we are
                  He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by MrsEclipse View Post
                    They also shouldn't let non-students and people over 18 go to the sporting events. You know how some people get around sporting events.

Okay, okay, that's not my real argument. I just can't help myself sometimes.
                    Yeah this is the point I was going to make too.

Hell, they even let rival gangs into the stadium which eventually leads to fights during sporting events, and they really didn't do any weapons searches, I was kind of glad to move out of the city, to much drama, everyone out here has guns but knows how to use them and most people actually hunt rather than have a gun to look cool or deal drugs.

This is what I think the school board feels:
                    yeah, lets ban those cos-play crazies because they don't support our ideals and I mean its just weird right, I mean they can't be normal. I mean what about team spirit? They might have child molesters, think of the children
                    -----------

Now totally justifiable is if they required the con to hire off duty police officers to provide security like is often the case for sporting events, that way if something goes wrong this get handled quickly and they often get to stand around collect a paycheck and their being their is enough to keep order.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                      Wow, nice assumptions that it's all a bunch of insane asylum inmates running loose all over the school attacking the students. You just love jumping to off beat conclusions, don't you?

Considering that it isn't the first year this con has been held, evidence points that it's well organized and handled professionally, with people able to handle problem con goers and ensure that they stay in the areas that the con is being run in. As well, con goers (dragoncon excluded) are generally civil and the most that tends to happen with cosplayers in the halls is someone wanting a picture if the costume is good enough.

I've seen similar cons held in similar venues with no major incident. This is nothing more than a school board getting panicky and feeling the need to flex their muscles.
                      Speaking of jumping to assumptions, you're doing pretty well at it. That's fantastic when everything goes smoothly. It's when it doesn't and one asshole sneaks in and does something that'll ruin it. And you know who will be held responsible? The school, because they let the person in.
                      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        It's when it doesn't and one asshole sneaks in and does something that'll ruin it. And you know who will be held responsible? The school, because they let the person in.
                        Oh, that's a good point. The school should definitely not allow strangers in to events due to concerns like this. It's obvious that it's much better and safer for the kids for the school to be surrounded by a bubble and not allow the students to invite outsiders into the building, even other minors who go to different schools. After all, there's no chance whatsoever that a student from the school in question could potentially cause just as much trouble as an outsider potentially could, so not allowing outsiders in is going to completely negate any chance of problems arising.

Comment

Fair's fair: if they're going to apply these rules, including not allowing anyone above 18 or minors from other schools to attend, then they MUST apply the same rules to ALL other events held on school grounds. Including sports, and including graduation.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't know about other places, but my school had local PD at big matches where a lot of people show up. Also, a football field doesn't exactly have places to hide like classrooms, closets, etc. A school is much less likely to get held responsible for something that doesn't happen inside the school either. It would then be their fault if something happens inside the school.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. Has this specific school always been letting random adults wonder around the school without being checked out first? Thank God I went to schools that believed in some kind of security.

Comment

greenday, if I break my leg in the stands or even in their parking lot, because I'm on their property, I still would be able to sue. Just because I'm not in the building doesn't mean they wouldn't be held liable.

i think people are to sue happy and it makes people paranoid. They used to have some good pranks back in the day, that really weren't destructive. by the time I became a senior before graduation they demanded any surprise pranks be approved by the administrators. It was also traditional for the trees in front of the school to be TPed,, which they put a stop to, of course week later when there wasn't two cops stationed at the school at night. someone got the trees

Comment

Working...
                              X