Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indiana rules that police can enter your home without reason and you CANNOT RESIST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana rules that police can enter your home without reason and you CANNOT RESIST

This is beyond messed up...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,6950521.story

The court issued its 3-2 ruling on Thursday, contending that allowing residents to resist officers who enter their homes without any right would increase the risk of violent confrontation. If police enter a home illegally, the courts are the proper place to protest it, Justice Steven David said.

"We believe ... a right to resist an unlawful police entry into a home is against public policy and is incompatible with modern Fourth Amendment jurisprudence," David said.
    Both dissenting justices suggested they would have supported the ruling if the court had limited its scope to stripping the right to resist officers who enter homes illegally in cases where they suspect domestic violence is being committed.

The line I bolded up there could just as easily be translated to "If officers feel like it".

I know what the Constitution says. Law or not, any Cop entering my home without warrant or reason WILL be met with resistance.

(For the record I do NOT live in Indiana)
    Last edited by MadMike; 05-14-2011, 09:30 PM. Reason: Pleae do not copy and paste text from other sites. Links only.

I read this. What I saw was that the judges seem to not understand that there is a difference between reasonable resistance and violent resistance. A person can resist in perfectly peaceful ways, including verbally.

It is a separate crime if a person is violent towards police and, therefore, removing the ability to resist is needless. The person can be charged with a different, appropriate crime if they cross the line in resisting.

Comment

Unlawful searches and seizures much? I hope the people take this higher. SO unconstitutional.
      I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

This is the wrong decision.

I understand their reasoning, but their "solution" is completely bass-ackwards.

How about, instead of forcing the citizens to roll over in cases where police overstep their bounds to actually focusing on the actual transgressors, and work on training the police on when it's not legal to enter a person's home?

And don't think this will stop people from resisting. Most people already don't know when it is and isn't legal, and those who resist already aren't considering the consequences of going toe to toe with a person armed with a gun, training, and backup. How is this ruling supposed to make a difference?

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If it's not legal to defend, then illegal entry by the police needs to be prosecuted exactly the same as if anyone else had done it. Including assault, etc charges if applicable.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

But its not really ruling that they can enter your home illegally. That's what a lot of people are characterizing it as, but it seems more that they're ruling you can't hit them if they do.

It seems to me that if they do enter your home illegally, anything they find is still found illegally, etc. So that while they can enter your home, if they do anything, it has no legal weight. And you're not allowed to hit them.

So... I don't think I approve of the ruling, but I think its important to understand what you're disapproving of.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
              But its not really ruling that they can enter your home illegally. That's what a lot of people are characterizing it as, but it seems more that they're ruling you can't hit them if they do.
              At the same time though, this basically gives them permission to enter anyone's home that they want to and no one can stop them. So yes, any evidence they find won't apply in court, but at the same time, some intruder is entering your home and you aren't allowed to do squat about it.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Yes, my point wasn't that its good, its that its not as bad as people are making it out to be. And you can do something. You can get them in trouble once they leave, which admittedly probably isn't as satisfying as punching them out or shooting them, but its still SOMETHING. As opposed to the portrayal of this as meaning that you no longer have any property.

I wasn't trying to say its GOOD, or even NOT BAD. I'm just saying not AS bad as people think it is.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

It means the people have an inability to prevent damage before it can occur. Sure, I can sue the hell out of them later. But that's not going to replace anything that's broken or stolen and the police won't come back to clean everything up.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

So does that mean you can no longer tell them "Not without a warrant?"
                    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Basically, at least that's what I got out of it.
                      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Oh, you can tell them that, but they don't have to listen.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                          Oh, you can tell them that, but they don't have to listen.

^-.-^
                          This. Basically the law is just saying don't escalate it to physical violence. Don't impede them. Doesn't say you can't inform them of the giant lawsuit you will slap them with.

Comment

Remind me to stay away from Indiana.

I sure hope this doesn't spread. You can get in huge trouble for hurting a police officer, and apparently even in this case, if they just up and enter your home with no warrant or reason.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                              That's what I get out of this.

This ruling won't stand constitutional muster before the Supreme Court. It is a clear violation of our 4th Amendment right to be "secure in our persons, houses, papers, and effects." If the police can bully their way into your home, then you are not secure in your house.

Funny thing is, North Carolina is moving in the other direction. You can shoot a man in your front yard, without retreating, under the castle doctrine, if you reasonable believe there is a threat to you or your property.

Don't know if that would apply to cops though. Probably not.
                              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X