the NY Mets will be paying a player for the NEXT 25 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the NY Mets will be paying a player for the NEXT 25 years

and he has NOT even played in MLB for 10 YEARS.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor..._lnk3%7C213419

some front office they seem to have.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

The Orioles owe him money too. This guy is smart.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I bet I could NOT PLAY baseball at least as well as he can. Where's my money?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

i'm not quite sure where you're going with this. the team owed him money for buying out his contract. he agreed to defer receiving payment on the money owed provided it accrued interest in the interim and until he's paid off. this was nothing but smart negotiating on the part of bonilla and his agent. i certainly can't fault him for that.

Comment

As one of the people commented on the article "best agent ever"
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Well part of the reason is they deferred his payment of what he was entitled in exchange for a nice interest rate for the player as a reason to change the terms of the deal. To It I say so what, they pay the people playing more than what they are playing this guy. Sure it is a joke but good for him. It is like how the packers were willing to pay Farve to just sit his ass at home with no chance of injury and he just wouldn't go for it

Comment

Great work if you can get it
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

to some extent, once a baseball contract is signed it is guaranteed for the rest of the contract. So if a player gets injured, he is still owed the balance of his contract (which would have sucked for the Rangers had that happened to A-Rod). There might be clauses in the contract that would make this null and void though (arrest and conviction might be one of those things). This is often why you will see teams still paying for players they either cut or traded (I believe Texas was still paying part of A-Rod's salary after they traded him to the Yankees).

Comment

It's not the first time they've done this. When Rusty Staub re-signed with the Mets, back in the '80s, he was still on three other teams' payrolls, plus he had income from his steakhouse, so he cut a deal with them that (if I remember correctly) they wouldn't even start paying him until 10 years after he retired.

Comment

So which team is officially more financially messed up? The Mets or the Dodgers?

Comment

Working...
                    X