Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Americans can't name a single Supreme Court Justice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
    Maybe not, but these people have control over you. A great deal of it. Americans should be paying attention to the Supreme Court.

I cannot understand how someone who keeps up to date with what is going on in their country hasn't heard these names often enough to remember at least one.
    Actually, their names don't come up too often unless there is the random huge decision that is made once in a blue moon. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I heard them even mentioned by any of their names recently.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      And to that I say, and I mean this with all the passion and sincerity I can muster, "so?"
      *phew* When I first saw the thread title, I thought that you were gonna rant on how deplorable that is and blahblahblah. But I totally agree with you...if you don't know what the Supreme Court does, then that's a problem. Not knowing their names? Meh.

I vaguely remember some of the names that popped up in the news while nominations were going on. I also have a general idea of the ideologies of most of the members, but I'm a graduate student of public policy. It's necessary for me to not sound like an idiot in my classes.

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid
      We got some serious, serious problems in this country. Somehow I'm missing how this is a huge one.
      Yup. I think we need to focus on the people that can't locate Iraq and Afghanistan on a map first. Baby steps, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggle Goose View Post
        Yup. I think we need to focus on the people that can't locate Iraq and Afghanistan on a map first. Baby steps, you know?
        I know people, who can't even find the US, never mind their own *state* on a map

Comment

Some people may get caught off guard when asked questions like this. I usually pay attention to current events, and if someone asked me to name as many Supreme Court justices as I can, I would probably sputter for a few seconds. I honestly don't see them (the justices) talked about on the news that much.

Here are the ones I can name without looking anything up.

Sonia Sotomayer
          John Roberts (the chief)
          Samuel Alito
          Ruth Bader Ginsburg
          Anton Scalia
          Robert Kennedy

Comment

Anthony Kennedy, not Robert.
            Antonin Scalia

Close though.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Oh, yeah. Robert Kennedy got killed back in 1968. Geez, why did I say him?

Comment

I actually follow the news enough to have heard of more than half of those names, but since I have no use for that knowledge (I didn't have any part in their being chosen and have no control over their staying or going), I don't retain it.

I've got more interesting trivia to stuff my brain with.

And, really, the names of the Supreme Court Justices is mere trivia to most of the world.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sandra Day O'Connor

Pubic Hair on a can of Coke guy.

Comment

O'Connor retired around.... 2003 or so? So I'll add John Jay, Thurgood Marshall, Oliver Wendell Holmes, and Howard Taft.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                    X