No announcement yet.

Stupid "black" names...why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insterestingly enough, I don't really like either name by itself.

But together they're very...poetic, I guess. They just roll nicely off the tongue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
      My initials are either MS or MRS if I include my middle name.

So, its a tossup wether or not Im married.
      I'm MS. Or MMS. So, either I'm an unmarried woman or I'm delicious delicious candy.

Also, don't we have the samefirst name?

Edit: If my birthparents had their way, I'd be PMS.
      Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 05-30-2012, 10:47 PM.
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
        I'm MS. Or MMS. So, either I'm an unmarried woman or I'm delicious delicious candy.

I believe we do!

Mmmm. Delicious chocolatey candies.....*Homer Simpson gurgle*

Comment

• Originally posted by Lachrymose View Post
          Wow, I've never met a real life "CA" (at least no one who goes by both) and now there's two of them in this thread.

For what it's worth, I really like the name.

ETA: Hmm..for some reason I think this conversation may have happened before. Or it's just deja vu. Or it's just deja vu.
          I mostly go by a nickname, rather than using my full name. XD
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

• Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post

If my mom had her way, I'd be named Gregory Aloysius. Thankfully my dad stepped in and changed that.

Instead, I was named after the two nurses that helped deliver me, which coincidentally turned out to be the exact same name of one of my cousins, born on the same day as me, but one year earlier
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boozy View Post

But that's America for you. Anything that doesn't appeal to the group in power is dismissed as ridiculous.
              Jumping in for a moment; I'm fine with that. This is America, play to our norms or be crushed by them.

I'm stuck with a familial first name that's objectively pretty normal, but all thru school I was the only one with it, so of course I was a mockery magnet. Middle name is a bit less common but came from an actress/singer. Copped even more crap.

Hated both furiously til long after I was out of school but felt too trapped by disapproval to change anything. In my 20s I tried to join an elite order that used first names within the group. Bombed my first chance to get in because I asked if they would mind not using my name. They figured out real quick that as long as I was immature enough to still feel belittled and picked on just by the use of it, I didn't belong there...and they were right.

(Celebrated my 7th with then back in April.)
              Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
              Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

• Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
                Jumping in for a moment; I'm fine with that. This is America, play to our norms or be crushed by them.
                Not Just No.

America's design is not only supposed to give everyone a say, it's supposed to prevent (or at least mitigate) the "Tyranny of the Majority" that comes with a pure Democracy. Just because something is the standard, that doesn't mean that it's the only way to be. The Founding Fathers, at least, were wise enough to recognize that fact (and said so directly, in some of their writings).

Comment

• IOW, some should get something "special".

See, here's the problem...you can be equal, or you can be special. They're mutually exclusive. If you choose special, don't cry when I refuse to consider you equal. You're admitting you're not!

You want to be equal? Then you don't get to cry if someone refuses to hire you because they don't like your name. Pick something that shows a willingness to be equal and you'll be treated as equal.

Life is a series of choices. Make good ones, and your life will go well.
                  Last edited by Fire_on_High; 06-01-2012, 08:02 PM. Reason: Fixing typo.

Comment

See, here's the problem...you can be equal, or you can be special. They're mutually exclusive. If you choose special, don't cry when I refuse to consider you equal. You're admitting you're not!

You want to be equal? Then you don't get to cry if someone refuses to hire you because they don't like your name. Pick something that shows a willingness to be equal and you'll be treated as equal.
                    That's a false binary. There are so many different facets to any person that every single one of us is equal and special at the same time.

Also, judging someone based on a name they did not give themselves is stupid and anyone who does that should be shunned for their bigotry.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Oh baloney. That specialness stuff is so incredibly toxic, and it's just a shorthanded way to let everyone feel smugly superior to the next guy without justifying why they earned the right to.

News flash, you ain't special. I ain't special. No one's special.

There might be a handful of ppl who'd miss you if you were hit by a truck tomorrow but the world will go right on as if you never existed. Think of the most high profile deaths of "special ppl" you can think of.

Did the world end when JFK died? Did the world end when Princess Di died? Pope John Paul II?

The world goes on.

If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, it might at most warrant one flash of irritation as my promised commitments fell by the wayside, and then I'd be forgotten within a few days at most.

*No one* is special. Which is precisely why the "I can't be equal because I'm SPECIAL!!!!!!" crowd infuriates me so much.

Comment

Oh baloney. That specialness stuff is so incredibly toxic, and it's just a shorthanded way to let everyone feel smugly superior to the next guy without justifying why they earned the right to.
                        Incorrect--telling a kid their special without telling them why would lead to that. But everyone has talents, and should be praised for them. I'm sure your better at some things than others--your "special" Talents, as it were.

News flash, you ain't special. I ain't special. No one's special.

There might be a handful of ppl who'd miss you if you were hit by a truck tomorrow but the world will go right on as if you never existed. Think of the most high profile deaths of "special ppl" you can think of.
                        Yep, the world as a whole would not miss me at the moment. But there are a number of people--friends, family--who would be affected were I to pass. Same for anyone else, including you.

Did the world end when JFK died? Did the world end when Princess Di died? Pope John Paul II?

The world goes on.
                        The world ended for someone when they died. A close friend, a son, a daughter, a spouse, a sibling. They may have moved on, but the world stopped for some people.

If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, it might at most warrant one flash of irritation as my promised commitments fell by the wayside, and then I'd be forgotten within a few days at most.
                        Irritation? Thats all? Then I feel profound pity for you.

Have you no family? No friends? No one who would miss you? If so, your a statistical anomaly. Everyone has someone who'll miss them. Who'll be wracked by far more than irritation.

*No one* is special. Which is precisely why the "I can't be equal because I'm SPECIAL!!!!!!" crowd infuriates me so much.
                        That crowd is annoying as fuck. I fully grant you that.

But the other side, the "no one is special" nihilist such as yourself are just as annoying.

You trivialize loss into, as you say, irritation. You trivialize and deride the differences that make each person who they are. You mock it. Tell me, was Einstein special? Stephen Hawking, perhaps? Jackie Roberts?

How about my stepsister, she special? Or how about the teen I saw working at the local supermarket? How about his manager?

They special? They equal?

Heres a clue: Humans are living paradoxes. Each and every single one is exactly equal with the next, and utterly special and unique unto themselves.
                        Last edited by Ree; 06-02-2012, 12:06 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Comment

Working...
                        X