No announcement yet.

Seismologists Tried for Manslaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seismologists Tried for Manslaughter...

...because they couldn't predict an earthquake.

Yes, you hear right. The L'Aquila quake in 2009 killed 300 people, and in an effort to find someone to blame for an Act of God, decided to charge the seismologists monitoring the fault line with Manslaughter.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...tingearthquake

This one make my head hurt. And I don't mean from the ubiquitous head banging that came from it, though it might be a reason. Geology is no where NEAR the level where we can see the future, and as said in the article, there can be hundreds of tremors without a spike on the Richter Scale. Trying them for an earthquake is nothing more than a witch hunt.

So.... NOT being able to see into the future is now a criminal offense? Earth-shaking news indeed!
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

And even if someone says a quake will hit, beurocracy gets in the way.
      So would they do the same to the mayor or governor or big wig who would have been told?

Comment

So... what's next?

Are they going to start suing meteorologists every time a tornado hits without a forecast warning about them?

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Seismology is a science, but that doesn't mean it has 100% predictive powers.

I think people expect too much of scientists. Doctors, too. Although that's a discussion for another thread.

Comment

After 911 there were emails going around from purported numerologists claiming that all the signs were there that something was going to happen. I asked, in that case, why they hadn't done anything, to much chagrin from those who had passed the emails on.

Now I realise my error - legal action would have been far preferable.

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              Seismology is a science, but that doesn't mean it has 100% predictive powers.

I think people expect too much of scientists. Doctors, too. Although that's a discussion for another thread.
              Exactly. Earthquakes are some of the most unpredictable natural occurances there are. It's crazy.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

What next, People suing the police for not knowing where crime is about to happen? Good gravy. I suspect this is an attempt to get attention. by who, I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                  After 911 there were emails going around from purported numerologists claiming that all the signs were there that something was going to happen. I asked, in that case, why they hadn't done anything, to much chagrin from those who had passed the emails on.

Now I realise my error - legal action would have been far preferable.

Rapscallion
                  Thanks for reminding me of this one:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....i?u=911_morons

Comment

This is really messed up.

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                    And even if someone says a quake will hit, beurocracy gets in the way.
                    So would they do the same to the mayor or governor or big wig who would have been told?
                    No, they'll be sued when it doesn't hit for causing a panic and all the extra preparations people had to take.

Comment

I would imagine that seismology is an even less exact science than meteorology. And we know how well the weather can be predicted (although much better now than a few years ago).

Comment

End result will be no one will want the risk of going into any of the sciences where there's still a lot to learn.
                        Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                        Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                          So.... NOT being able to see into the future is now a criminal offense? Earth-shaking news indeed!
                          Quit shaking the earth or I'll sue you.
                          "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                          We are contented, because he says we are
                          He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by MrsEclipse View Post
                            Quit shaking the earth or I'll sue you.
                            Are you saying that the earth is moving for you?

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                              Are you saying that the earth is moving for you?

Rapscallion
                              That depends. Are you using one of those double entendres I've heard so much about?
                              "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                              We are contented, because he says we are
                              He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Working...
                              X