Goodbye Food Pyramid... Hello MyPlate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Food Pyramid... Hello MyPlate

Recently the USDA discontinued the use of the Food Pyramid and replaced it with MyPlate in order to simplify it.

Seriously, how is the Food Pyramid difficult to understand? The largest part of the pyramid - the bottom - is what is supposed to be eaten more often than the others due to nutritional value. The amounts decrease as the pyramid gets smaller. It even describes how many servings of various things this entails. But of course, that would require people to read

I know that there has been controversy over the use of it, but what they have come up with now is so much worse in my opinion. It says nothing about servings or what types of the various food groups are better than others. For instance, refined flour products are not nearly as nutritionally sound as whole wheat flour. Lean proteins are better for you than fattier ones. Serving sizes are a big problem, I think, in that people don't take them into consideration...ever. And lots of fad diets perpetuate this. These diets tell people that they need to completely cut out certain foods, when in actuality they just need to be eaten in moderation. If I'm watching what I eat, it is perfectly fine and healthy for me to indulge in some ice cream every now and then, or have part of a chocolate bar. As long as it's not made into habit, it's fine and dandy, and helps people stay on track with eating better overall.

This article sums up a lot of my thoughts on the issue.

What do you think?

The problem with the Food Pyramid is that, at it's root, it's not a good guide.

And it hasn't had the base you describe for 6 years, now, so the whole concept of it being a pyramid is just a hold-over anyway.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Fair enough, as I haven't actually paid attention to it for a long time. But the MyPlate seems just...ridiculous. It looks like a fun coloring book page for kids, not something that can actually help anyone eat healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by ExRetailDrone View Post
        It says nothing about servings or what types of the various food groups are better than others. For instance, refined flour products are not nearly as nutritionally sound as whole wheat flour. Lean proteins are better for you than fattier ones. Serving sizes are a big problem, I think, in that people don't take them into consideration...ever.
        it doesn't go by servings(which was confusing for many people to begin with)
        it now goes by "ounce equivalents*" and rather than the "one size fits all" of the food pyramid, MyPlate is tailored to various groups(age, activity level, gender, breastfeeding, weight loss, etc)
        and each food group has a "catchy slogan" that addresses your whole grain/lean meat issues.

Grains-Make at least half your grains whole grains.
        Vegetables-Vary your veggies.
        Fruit-Focus on fruits.
        Dairy-Get your calcium-rich foods.
        protein-Go lean with protein.

*using this you only need 1 1/2 ounce equivalents(3 is recommended) of grain-so a cup of cereal and two slices of toast, and you're good, compared to 7-11 "servings" under the food pyramid-we really didn't need all that grain.
        Veggies are amount per week of each kind

They also address vegetarian diets
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

If I remember right, didn't a few meat companies claimed the food pyramid makes meat look bad?

Comment

^^^^^ Probably. The grain and corn industries just have better lobbyists. All I really remember from the food pyramid was that you were supposed to be getting the majority of your food from grains, preferably whole.

I think the MyPlate makes it easier for people to take it one meal at a time, as opposed to thinking of the whole day on a pyramid. Hasn't really changed my eating habits much. I just try to eat more fruits and veggies throughout the day and watch my portion sizes. Works for me.

Comment

I took a look at this and I think I really like it! If you click each portion section on the plate, it provided some really good information and included what foods would be included and what would actually be better. They separated the starchy veggies from the other veggies.

I also learned things that I was not taught before. I didn't get much of an education about nutrition and I am learning so much more now that I am doing my own shopping and have better access to this education.
              "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Rather fond of this new guide. It gives a realistic view of the ratio of food you should be eating like you'd be looking at it.

Of course, people are still stupid, and will continue to ignore this for the ease of fast food and sweets. I imagine this will help tremendously with children however.
                We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.

Comment

It may also help with school cafeterias, who have to follow these USDA guidelines.

Comment

The guide I like, but the name I think they chose to make it appealing to the social networking crowd and came out a few years too late.

Comment

Working...
                    X