Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Boy Suspended for Long Hair

http://www.kens5.com/news/Blanco-ISD...tml?hpt=us_bn5

A 6 year old is suspended from school for having long hair and an earring.

While I understand the need for dress codes, I don't think they should extend to hair length. Maybe having a green 8-inch Mohawk would be distracting, but a boy with hair past his collar? I might be a bit biased because my son has beautiful hair that, when wet, hangs past his shoulder blades (it forms spiral curls when dry), and have spent a lot of time defending my decision not to cut his hair- when he asks me to cut it, I will, but not until then. When he does ask, if he wants a green Mohawk, then by God he shall have it!

To summarize, I am all for reasonable dress codes, but worrying over hair and earrings (unless they're huge hoop earrings, those could pose a danger) is petty and silly.

More unsettled by the fact mom got his ear pierced when he was 1 years old and hooked him up with a diamond earring ever since. -.-

That said, regardless of what we may think of the dress code itself, the dress code is there, mom knew it was there and violated it. So in that regard she doesn't have a leg to stand on, honestly.

Still, dress code could use a tweak. But, well, this is Texas and its certainly not the stupidest story I've heard out of a Texas school district.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      More unsettled by the fact mom got his ear pierced when he was 1 years old and hooked him up with a diamond earring ever since.
      I don't see how this is any different than parents doing the same to girl babies, and I see it all the time.

Personally, I think it's stupid, but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

^-.-^
      Last edited by Andara Bledin; 08-27-2011, 05:36 AM. Reason: apostrophe abuse
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I have a problem with dress codes that contain double standards.

If its okay for girls, why is it not okay for boys?

Also, I every now and then hear about some Native kid getting hassled to cut his hair by some backwards ass school district. That's offensive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          I don't see how this is any different than parents doing the same to girl babies, and I see it all the time.
          My unsettledness was not gender specific. Sticking your 1 year old under the piercing needle seems rather wrong. At least wait till their old enough and ask them if they want to do it so they know why mommy is having them stabbed in the head.

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid
          Also, I every now and then hear about some Native kid getting hassled to cut his hair by some backwards ass school district.
          Texas. >.>

Comment

I dunno. See, I think you shouldn't suspend a kid for that. At six, its not like you have much control over what you wear, how you wear your hair, etc... Its the parent's choice. If I were the administrator, and I was that sure it was a disruption, I would have fined the parents, not punished the kid for something he can't understand.

That said, I don't really have a problem with long hair.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

GK, don't be too public about your opinion about (mostly) young parents who pierce their babies ears. You'll most likely get lynched. I've gotten enough rude comments about "I do what I want!" when I have commented that I think it's just wrong to do that to a tiny baby.

I had my ears pierced at age 3, granted I told my parents that I wanted them pierced (because my older cousin had them pierced, I'm sure), and I think my parents did it to teach me a lesson, (considering they are kind of sadistic that way) to show that you may not always want what you think you want. Ehh...they closed up sometime in grade school, and a friend in 6th grade re-pierced them.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                GK, don't be too public about your opinion about (mostly) young parents who pierce their babies ears. You'll most likely get lynched. I've gotten enough rude comments about "I do what I want!" when I have commented that I think it's just wrong to do that to a tiny baby.
                I'm not particularly reknowned for holding my tongue in the face of stupidity. >.>

Comment

"I shower the face of stupidity with my spittle!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lachrymose View Post
                    "I shower the face of stupidity with my spittle!"
                    I suppose that does roll off the tongue faster than "I perform an obscene, condescending little puppet show with my junk in the face of stupidity.

Comment

How does one perform a puppet show with your junk? You'd only have one puppet.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                        How does one perform a puppet show with your junk? You'd only have one puppet.
                        I only need one puppet. Plus it comes with two accessories. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                          I suppose that does roll off the tongue faster than "I perform an obscene, condescending little puppet show with my junk in the face of stupidity.
                          Yeah, and it works better for those of us who don't have the right kind of junk for that kind of show... tho the more talented of us might be able to actually control a puppet... >_>

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                            Yeah, and it works better for those of us who don't have the right kind of junk for that kind of show...
                            Well, at the very least you're better equipped for ventriliquism. -.-

Comment

Wow, this one went downhill fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X