Man Who Shot Grizzly Being Sued By Feds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Who Shot Grizzly Being Sued By Feds

...despite the local Fish and Wildlife group determining it was self-defense.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_n...e29ff6b8a.html

In essence, this guy's kids were outside playing when a momma grizzly and her cubs came into the yard and started harassing some animals the kids were raising. He shot momma, and then called Fish and Wildlife. They determined it was self-defense and declined to prosecute.

Now the federal level has decided to prosecute anyway.

I'm not sure what to make of the case itself...I mostly wonder if there was a better way to handle the bear rather than shooting it, but I do think that this is a farce of a case. Even the Fish and Wildlife people are backing this guy! Why prosecute?
    I has a blog!

The guy was fully in his rights to shoot the bear. Color me confused.

Comment

What a bunch of bull. He was protecting his children and the bears would have eaten his animals. It's not his fault the bear attacked him? What was he supposed to do?

Lawsuits like this are so stupid.

Comment

This is why so many people follow the three S's.
        "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
        We are contented, because he says we are
        He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Three S's?
          I has a blog!

Comment

I can't fathom the mindset of some of these people.

"Hmmm...looks like an interesting case. Bear attacked this guy's family, he shot it. Fish n Wildlife have declared it to be self defense...alright, pretty cut and dry. LET'S GO GET HIM!!!!!"

Really?????

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
              Three S's?
              Shoot, shovel & shut up.

Comment

Sounds like the only thing the bear attacked was the pigs. Oh well, I guess that's a shootable offense.

Comment

Which means that now the bear and her cubs know that property as a source of food, making the bear a danger to the family in the future. Also, it's a freaking grizzly. You know how fast they are? How powerful? Sure, he could have barricaded the family in the house, reported it to the authorities, and hoped for the best. Or he could eliminate the threat.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                    Which means that now the bear and her cubs know that property as a source of food, making the bear a danger to the family in the future. Also, it's a freaking grizzly. You know how fast they are? How powerful? Sure, he could have barricaded the family in the house, reported it to the authorities, and hoped for the best. Or he could eliminate the threat.
                    This. Much as I like bears and other large predators, I also recognize that they are extremely fucking dangerous. Especially bears, who are fully capable of beating you to death in one single swipe if you get too close.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      I guess I can see his point. But then again, I think of the "He's coming right us" defense in South Park as well.

Comment

It sounds like a criminal prosecution, not a lawsuit... and not one that will get far, though "the case was dropped" type stories don't get spread nearly as far and wide, if they're reported at all, as the original "stupid initial prosecution" type.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

From memory once a bear kills in an area, that area generally becomes it's hunting ground, where it returns to to look for more food, once it discovered there was easy picking there it would have come bac, that's something you really don't want.
                          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Sounds like something the Dept of Natural Retards around here would do.

People have been charged and fined for killing wolves that attack their cattle and are a threat to their family.

Ya know, if I was at stake to lose a child or a pet because some wild animal who shouldn't be here anyway is, I don't even care if it's "protected", I'm going to kill it. It's the DNR's fault we have so many wolves anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                              Sounds like something the Dept of Natural Retards around here would do.

People have been charged and fined for killing wolves that attack their cattle and are a threat to their family.

Ya know, if I was at stake to lose a child or a pet because some wild animal who shouldn't be here anyway is, I don't even care if it's "protected", I'm going to kill it. It's the DNR's fault we have so many wolves anyway.
                              I've never, ever heard of wolves actually attacking people; normally, they're way too timid around humans to even try.

Now, a grizzly... I get that. They're pretty damn big, and fierce, and normally not easily intimidated. But wolves? Do you have any sources for these events?
                              "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                              "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Working...
                              X