Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman buys wooden Ipad...I weep for common sense

Two people in a mcd's parking lot, yeaaah totally legit! NOT

Seriously? seriously? Yeah at 10pm two total strangers coming up to you attempting to push an Ipad or laptop seems totally legit, and its in a fedex box!
    I love how she didn't think that it wasn't questionable at all, or even if it did for one nanosecond she didn't open it then and there. Any other thoughts I keep to myself.

EDIT: I may have posted this in the wrong area. whoops
    Last edited by LexiaFira; 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

I'd be embarrassed to let my name be attacked to a news report like that.

How incredibly naive does one have to be to buy a pig in a poke? For $180, no less. >_<

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

OMG...... That is just fucking stupid! If it's too good to be true, it's a scam! Who the hell in their right mind would pay $189 for an iPad to somebody selling shit from the trunk of their car?!! That lady had no damn sense.
      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

When you buy something like that, you KNOW (or should be assumed to know) that it's either a scam or stolen.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by tropicsgoddess View Post
          OMG...... That is just fucking stupid! If it's too good to be true, it's a scam! Who the hell in their right mind would pay $189 for an iPad to somebody selling shit from the trunk of their car?!! That lady had no damn sense.
          Starting retail for an iPad 2 is $520. Given the popularity, the almost third of retail price is enough to make people switch off their caution sense.

Comment

Think it would be bad form to call her and ask if she wants to buy the Chesapeake Bay Bridge from me?
            "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
            We are contented, because he says we are
            He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

I hate to say it but I think she got what she deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                Starting retail for an iPad 2 is $520. Given the popularity, the almost third of retail price is enough to make people switch off their caution sense.
                Not for me. And even if I was intrigued by the price I would want to see it working before I paid out one @#$%ing cent.

I agree with Andara. I would be too ashamed to show my face in public after being that stupid.
                “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

When buying something like that for a third of it's retail cost in a fast food parking lot, there are only three reasons for the transaction to exist.

1) It's stolen
                  2) It's broken
                  3) It's a knockoff

If it's the first, you don't want anything to do with it. If it's the second, it won't do anything for you. If it's the third, you need to see if it's at least the kind of knockoff you can work with.

I would say this lady learned a hard life lesson, but I have a feeling the kind of person who would end up buying a wooden iPad is exactly the kind of person who won't learn anything from this.
                  "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                  We are contented, because he says we are
                  He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                    Not for me. And even if I was intrigued by the price I would want to see it working before I paid out one @#$%ing cent.

I agree with Andara. I would be too ashamed to show my face in public after being that stupid.
                    I'm guessing that the guy showed her a real one, pretended to box it up, then gave her a box with the fake.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

From the article, I gather that they had a real one for demonstration purposes, and a trunk full of sealed boxed product that was what they were handing out. She took the pig in the poke home and then opened it to find it was a block of wood.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've had people try to sell me all kinds of shit from trunks of cars in parking lots and I tell them flat out NO. I have NO time for that crap. For the reasons already stated on here. To fall for it is just dumb.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                          From the article, I gather that they had a real one for demonstration purposes, and a trunk full of sealed boxed product that was what they were handing out. She took the pig in the poke home and then opened it to find it was a block of wood.

^-.-^
                          I buy from flea markets all the time. They are a good place to get stuff that is good if not top of the line. As MrsEclipse put it, "If it's the third, you need to see if it's at least the kind of knockoff you can work with."

I'm not terribly concerned if the [item] isn't a real [brand] as long as it has the features that I want, looks nice (if it's something I'm going to wear like a watch or something), works (big one there) and is not unreasonably priced.

Case in point, my son wanted an MP3 player for Christmas. The one that this one seller had was one that had video capability and 16gb of storage. His price was $30 when comparable units were in the $90 range. I made him pull it from the box, put in batteries and let me listen to the demo MP3 that was on the unit before paying for it. I knew before dropping good money on something that was a cheap Korean knockoff of the MP3 players of the time...that it worked and what was advertised.

It worked fine for 6 months. Although I suspect that the failure was less of a manufacturing defect and more of the fact that my idiot of a son dove into the 12-foot deep section of the pool, off of the 10-foot board with the thing in his pocket and the ear buds in his ears LISTENING TO DISTURBED AS HE DOVE IN!!!

Not the sharpest tool in the shed when they're at that age. But I suspect that while a Korean knockoff, it was a well made Korean knockoff that would at least have lasted a year or two and at $30 for it, I was less miffed at the boy for his swan dive than I think I would have been had I bought the iPod Touch that he wanted.

So as with car boot sales, it's buyer beware and the smart buyer makes the seller open the unit to prove that it is what it says on the tin before plonking down the money. You CAN get good stuff at flea markets and Car Boot sales, but you have to be smart enough and skeptical enough to not take things on face value.
                          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                            It worked fine for 6 months. Although I suspect that the failure was less of a manufacturing defect and more of the fact that my idiot of a son dove into the 12-foot deep section of the pool, off of the 10-foot board with the thing in his pocket and the ear buds in his ears LISTENING TO DISTURBED AS HE DOVE IN!!!

I'm sorry, it was a choice between facepalming and laughing.

Comment

Well, you just get so USED to things that you forget they're even there...

Knockoffs or not, I'd be far more worried the items were stolen. I don't want to get into that even if it is cheap.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X