Recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recession

The media is saying they're worried about the country going into another recession. But you know what? We never got out of the last one! Anybody with even 2 onces of graymatter knows that all too well.
    Last edited by Bright Star; 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM.

That depends on what you mean. I believe the *definition* of recession is two or more consecutive quarters of negative growth. (Of what, I don't remember; probably GDP though.) That means that no matter how far and fast things are going downhill, even the tiniest upward movement for even one isolated quarter means that recession is over. If it continues dropping from there, that counts as a new recession, not a continuation of the old one. Gray matter notwithstanding

Now, recovery is another matter. When people say we're "still in a recession," what they usually mean is that we haven't gotten back to the point we were before it.
    Last edited by HYHYBT; 09-03-2011, 03:31 PM.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If I understand correctly, the "Great Recession" did have an end to it, but that doesn't mean we've recovered from it.

I tend to think of it as going through a really bad snowstorm. Yeah, it might have stopped snowing and the sun might be out again, but that doesn't mean all the effects of the snowstorm are gone.

Comment

...and it doesn't mean another snowstorm won't hit before it melts
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Well the folks in Washington aren't helping matters much. The whole debt cieling debate took alot of wind out of alot of sails. The FAA debacle didn't help either.

Comment

It'd be nice of one side would stop burning the ship just to spit the other side. >_<

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              It'd be nice of one side would stop burning the ship just to spit the other side. >_<

^-.-^
              They would make actual progress then, not seemingly half-hearted attempts at progress.

Comment

I have little faith in this new supercommittee. They will probably make the same suggestions that the last committee made and those suggestions will get shot down in a heartbeat.

Comment

Yep, do everything possible to impede any possible progress on the economy, then blame the current administration for their being no progress on the economy.

Oh, then call anyone that points out what you're doing a "leftist pinko". >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Yep, do everything possible to impede any possible progress on the economy, then blame the current administration for their being no progress on the economy.

Oh, then call anyone that points out what you're doing a "leftist pinko". >.>
                    Better yet, they will accuse of waging class warfare.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                      Better yet, they will accuse of waging class warfare.
                      Yeah, that was right wing Term of the Day there for a bit. Along with "Job Creators". You can practically see the notes being handed out every morning. >.>

Comment

IMO (Which I know doesn't account for much) both sides are pretty much the same animal with different clothing on. Both would rather have no progress then see the other side 'win' anything. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                          IMO (Which I know doesn't account for much) both sides are pretty much the same animal with different clothing on.
                          Honestly, I don't think the "both sides are bad" argument works anymore and frankly hasn't in quite some time now. One side is bad sure, but the other side is willfully and actively destroying the country on top of being bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            One side is bad sure, but the other side is willfully and actively destroying the country on top of being bad.
                            Exactly.

Both of the big parties, and a number of the little ones, too, are filled with a bunch of assholes. But of the two big, only one of them is actively and knowingly damaging the country just to spite the other side.

How anybody with two braincells to rub together doesn't see this and still supports them who isn't the same sort of self-destructive dipshit, I can't figure.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              How anybody with two braincells to rub together doesn't see this and still supports them who isn't the same sort of self-destructive dipshit, I can't figure.
                              Because the gays, Andara. The gays!!!! Also, Jesus.

Comment

Working...
                              X