Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how's that raw milk DIEt working

Bovine TB on the rise in humans due to unpasteurized milk

"A rare form of tuberculosis caused by illegal, unpasteurized dairy products, including the popular queso fresco cheese, is rising among Hispanic immigrants in Southern California and raising fears about a resurgence of a strain all but eradicated in the U.S."

"the M. bovis bug is resistant to front-line drug therapy and adults who contract it are more than twice as likely as those with traditional TB to die before treatment is complete."

"Rodwell cautioned that people worried about the M. Bovis strain of TB should pay closer attention to dairy products, not people.

“It is NOT a disease you are very likely to get from a foreign-born person,” he said in an e-mail. “The increase in M. bovis cases is more about what you eat, not where you were born.”
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

How could you not have called this thread 'This really cheeses me off'????
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

That's an interesting story, BK. I'd like your take on it. Your entire post consists only of excerpts from the article.

What is it about this issue that you found compelling?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
        What is it about this issue that you found compelling?
        The fact that about 10-15 people I know kept telling me to start drinking raw milk because raw milk "was so much healthier" and pasteurizing it "took all the nutrients out"

They tried telling me it cured cancer(I had a cervical cancer scare a while back)-and even went so far as to tell me giving it to my son would "cure him" of his autism*. Sadly there are many people that are taken in by stuff like this due to the fact that pasteurization has been around long enough that no one alive has really dealt with the reasons it was implemented(kinda like vaccines)-how many of us have ever known someone that contracted Polio?

*some Autistics have weakened or malfunctioning immune systems.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
          *some Autistics have weakened or malfunctioning immune systems.
          Probably all the more reason to keep your son on pasteurized milk, I'd think.

Comment

Ummm - a) I only just got the 'DIEt' bit :blush: d'oh!!

b) It still amazes me how people just jump on bandwagons and fads just because someone said 'this is good for you' without actually checking it out fully first!

Obviously, yes, humans did have non-pastuerised milk for, oh... a few thousand years, and didn't appear to have any issues with it.

BK - to all those people who "kept telling you to drink raw milk", my first question to them (as my main acupuncture lecturer drilled into me) - "where's your evidence?"

I, in a way, find the article 'ironic'... the whole idea of pasteurisation is to kill all those bugs (like, hopefully, the BTB)

Slyt
            ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Heh. I went on a food hygiene course where they extolled the virtue of not drinking unpasteurised milk, citing the alleged case of a wannabe body builder who lost about thirty pounds in two months after drinking some.

I raised my right hand and explained that I'd been drinking it for twenty-five years at that point, and I wasn't wasting away.

They didn't like me much after that.

However, there are many people who want to believe things will do them good, and even if it will they don't know what that good is.

Rapscallion
              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

People just don't know how it was back in the bad old days when you expected to get the shits from food you ate or have a pock-marked face from small pox.

I'm sure today's unpasteurized milk can be much safer than it used to be way back when, now that we have cleaner barns and whatnot, but there's still a potential risk of disease from it. In fact, right now there's an outbreak of bovine tuberculosis going around in my county's jail system, originating from some incarcerated hispanics who would drink unpasteurized milk down south. Fun fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post

b) It still amazes me how people just jump on bandwagons and fads just because someone said 'this is good for you' without actually checking it out fully first!

Slyt

People. Are. Lemmings.

What people don't understand about this diet is that you would have needed to be drinking raw milk since you were very young in order for your body to be able to process it correctly.

The bacteria carried in unpasteurized cows milk is very dangerous, but if someone has been consuming it since they were very small they can quite possibly become immune to it....which is exactly why people were able to drink it for centuries before the pastuerization process was invented. This is also why people who live in countries with water supplies that make everyone else sick can drink their own water. Everyone is just so quick to jump on the bandwagon without doing proper research (also like the sick vegan girl in the other thread).

Even pasteurized, filtered cows milk is not really that good for you. There have been cases in the last few years about large factory farms that milk their cows with those automatic milker things, milking cows with infected udders...so in effect you'd essentially be getting cow puss. Yeah..blah. I started drinking soy milk a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyred View Post
                    I started drinking soy milk a few months ago.
                    There are health risks to everything. There's a study going on about how people who consume large amounts of soy products are screwing with their hormone levels, because soy produces an estrogen-like hormone.

There's risks in everything.

Comment

I don't drink a whole lot of milk period. I only consume soy products occasionally a) because I genuinely like them and b) because I'm a vegetarian and it's a nice touch to certain meals.

I'm aware of the health risks though and I do thoroughly research things before I do them (I'm a planner Lol. )

I wasn't trying to say that there are NO risks with soy milk as opposed to cows milk but you have to remember that cows milk is intended for baby COWS...not people and it has the potential to make a human pretty sick. (BTW...I've heard that goats milk is much better for people to drink but I haven't looked into it)

You also have to remember that there are health and safety risks to almost everything and everyone needs to do what works for them.
                      Last edited by Rubyred; 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

(BTW...I've heard that goats milk is much better for people to drink but I haven't looked into it)
                        There's a reason why people don't drink goat's milk....BLECH!

My brother was raised on it because of a cow's milk allergy. He liked it because he was used to it, I guess. But everyone else in the family found it disgusting.

Comment

At least goat cheese is yummy....

Comment

.. milking cows with infected udders...so in effect you'd essentially be getting cow puss.
                            I hate you for that cow-pus comment. Couldn't even drink mild with my Pop-Tarts last night.

Comment

Originally posted by jayel View Post
                              I hate you for that cow-pus comment. Couldn't even drink mild with my Pop-Tarts last night.
                              Frosted Pop-Tarts have cow parts in them. It's everywhere!

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                              There are health risks to everything. There's a study going on about how people who consume large amounts of soy products are screwing with their hormone levels, because soy produces an estrogen-like hormone.

There's risks in everything.
                              I remember the "OMG soy is turning our boys into gays and women!!!" article I read on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X