"See Something, Say Something"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
    I don't think it's a bad idea in theory, but as shown by this article, some people get too carried away.
    Some of you know that I photograph trains as a hobby. Most of the time, I don't have problems--as long as I'm not doing anything stupid (crossing tracks, messing with equipment, interfering with operations, etc.) the railroads (the Union RR excepted--they have a well-deserved reputation for hostility towards railfans, even those on public property) don't care. The crews on Norfolk Southern's Conemaugh Line always wave, and blast their horns.

I have had "visits" from the NS rail police though. Not because I was doing anything wrong, but because the railroad was doing some work on their signaling system, and didn't want their equipment vandalized. After I told the cop I was a railfan, and handed him my ID...he sent me on my way. Not before telling that the next train (the 6:00 coal drag) was delayed an hour.

Every time I've been along the tracks, it's like that. The cops are just doing their jobs, and if you're polite to them, they'll leave you be. Some of them are into trains as well, and will gladly BS with you for a bit. Then there are the exceptions. I've already mentioned the Union RR and their attitude towards fans.

In the past couple of years, Metra (the Chicago-based transit agency) was in the news for arresting people for taking photos...because it was "against the law." Um no, it wasn't. All it was, was some misinformed security and police officers who felt like throwing their weight around.

Comment

Working...
    X