Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Dress Up Like Steve Jobs Day'... WHAT?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Dress Up Like Steve Jobs Day'... WHAT?!

Okay. I just want to start off by saying I've got nothing against Mac users in general. It's okay to use a different operating system if you're comfortable with using it. I haven't used it myself since middle school because, hey, I've been using Microsoft-related OSes for quite some time and I'm comfortable with using it. Everyone has their preferences.

With that out of the way...

'Dress Like Steve Jobs' day was announced on the news just a little while ago. It might have been around for quite a while, but I gave up on watching the news on a regular basis a while back because there's other, more reliable, more readily available sites to visit online. But this... this story had a stinger that immediately made me go 'what the fuck?': "Coming up, learn how you can honor Steve Jobs!'

Yeah. Verbatim. 'Learn how you can honor Steve Jobs.' Like he didn't just come up with an equally-effective operating system and form a corporation centered around it, but phrased like he died in combat or something.

Look. I know there's an entire culture based around Apple-branded products. I've worked with customers since the new job that are on both sides of the Mac-user spectrum: the ones who genuinely use it and like it and the ones whose wardrobe probably consists of black t-shirts and blue jeans, more than likely with the Apple logo on them. This is a debacle of such magnitude that as soon as the story itself was aired, half my head started to feel like I got hit by a Dodge Ram. Seriously, the guy didn't die in a plane crash or a housefire, he retired. Why there's even a day like that is beyond my own comprehension. Aren't we supposed to be human?!

I don't know. Like I said, I don't understand the extremes of Apple-related culture, but come on, isn't this just a leetle bit over the fucking top? I'm gonna wait for Jerry Springer to retire and celebrate by dressing in cream-colored suits, making my hair really wavy and snarking at rednecks.
    This space for rent.

This sounds like something that would be started, at least, more as a joke than anything. Especially since there's nothing (so far as I know) unusual about the way Steve Jobs dresses in the first place, other than tending to wear the same thing.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's an iPhoneLife Magazine event in honor of him.

Facebook Page of Event

Considering that they wouldn't even exist (at least not as they are) without him, I can see why he might be an important figure.

Turns out that they want people to post up their shots, and the best of the lot will get included in an article.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's not a government-recognized national day of recognition or anything like that. It's a silly little contest/event run by a fan magazine.

How is this any more over the top than people dressing up as Captain Kirk, or Harry Potter, and going to conventions?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
          It's not a government-recognized national day of recognition or anything like that. It's a silly little contest/event run by a fan magazine.

How is this any more over the top than people dressing up as Captain Kirk, or Harry Potter, and going to conventions?
          I gather it by "It was announced on the news" that it was TV/Radio news, not some yahoo* rotating newsfeed.
          If it was just an url about the facebook page then no biggie, but if it was TV/Radio, then yeah, when was the last time fox news showed you how to get the right klingon cornish pastie forehead or did the entire day talking like pirates?

*I say yahoo as its my home page and I can't be mithred setting anything else as it, but they do have a rotating block of 4 picture headlines.

Comment

Fox News did at least half-a-dozen news pieces on Comic Con, according to my Google search.

Comment

Might try to get my bf to do this (HUGE Apple nerd and I think he'd look good in a black mock turtleneck)

Year before I joined my current company, Steve Jobs visited our main office. Everyone got special turtlenecks with our logo and the Apple one. A bit over the top there, but I'd like one

Comment

Originally posted by ZedOmega View Post
                Look. I know there's an entire cult based around Apple-branded products.
                Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                  Fox News did at least half-a-dozen news pieces on Comic Con, according to my Google search.
                  I stand corrected, I don't have Fox news but that was the first American news channel I could think of.

Comment

I don't remember where, why, or how I got it, and I don't know where it is now, but *somewhere* I have a watch that runs backwards and has the old rainbow Apple logo and the words "Think Different" on it.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                    X