September 11th 10th anniversary merchandising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    We're a fairly capitalist society. There is a demand for such merchandise, and so there will be people who are going to fill that need by supplying it.
    You could probably argue part of the demand was completely manufactured, seeing as you weren't a Real American(tm) at the time according to the media unless you had some cheap, Made in China, overt display of your patriotism. -.-

Comment

Well, as tacky as that chess set is, it's been around for at least three years, and took time to make, so the being tacky is nothing new.

As for the wine, at least some of the proceeds go to the memorial. The other stuff (most of which is from years ago) is pretty purely awful. Especially that lighter.
      Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      You could probably argue part of the demand was completely manufactured, seeing as you weren't a Real American(tm) at the time according to the media unless you had some cheap, Made in China, overt display of your patriotism. -.-
      I actually got a nice "Together we stand" window decal in the wave of aftermath consumerism because I'd wanted a nice little flag window decal, but it wasn't a market that was being covered very fully until then.

Such a shame that our political machine made a lie out of it in less than a year. >_<

^-.-^
      Last edited by Andara Bledin; 09-11-2011, 11:04 PM.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        As for the wine, at least some of the proceeds go to the memorial.
        That's (somewhat) nice, but it's still in poor taste.
        "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
        -- OMM 0000

Comment

The strange thing about that chessboard is that the skyscrapers shown are all Chinese. Let's see, we have the Pearl Tower and Jin Mao building of Shanghai, and the Hong Kong bank tower, and 2 IFC towers of Hong Kong, and 101 Taipei, to name a few. Makes me wonder what point the maker of that thing was trying to make. I wonder if they have some beef with the Chinese, since there's no American skyscrapers, or even the supertalls of Dubai represented?

The workmanship is impressive, those skyscraper models are lovely. What a shame such talent was used to make something so crass and mean.
          As for the display in the OP, a selection of 9/11 shirts and stickers really doesn't offend me. The designs were tasteful, and the motivation behind them was a show of tribute, not shock value. Now, if they were selling shirts making fun of the victims, or NYC, or depicting crass imagery, then I can see the offense.

The subject of 9/11 and creative expression is a close one for me- I believe that declaring an event like 9/11 off limits to creative expression altogether is rediculous, to expect that nobody will touch it in any way is just asinine, it's not going to happen. But at the same time, there's a difference between tribute or exploration, and mockery.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
            The strange thing about that chessboard is that the skyscrapers shown are all Chinese.
            Honestly, I'm pretty sure its a 3D render for trollin' the web and not real at all. It looks a little bit too perfect and smooth, the light source is suspect ( thats a hell of a lot of ambient and scatter, there are no real shadows at all. ) and the board itself is set up wrong ( Pieces should be the other way around ). Nevermind fashioning that many precision crafted little planes out of wood right down to the engines.

I imagine they're all Chinese because those were coolest looking ones they found on some free 3D model site. Them and the plane models. Slap some wood textures on them, viola.

Seeing as there's no info and no source on it anywhere except offended Americans circulating the picture going "omigawd!" on blogs. Me thinks it was created specifically for that purpose.

Comment

The thing about the chess set is, the buildings can fight back.
              "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
              We are contented, because he says we are
              He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

^I suppose that's true. I remember seeing a crass halloween costume idea somewhere- have one person dress as a plane, the other as a skyscraper. Then have plane chase skyscraper around all night. Ugh. I commented to a friend that about the only way that could be funny would be if the skyscraper had a bag of weapons to fight back with- a net, giant bat, etc. Skyscraper "flips the script" and gives the plane the what-for whenever it gets too close.

Comment

^I suppose that's true. I remember seeing a crass halloween costume idea somewhere- have one person dress as a plane, the other as a skyscraper. Then have plane chase skyscraper around all night. Ugh. I commented to a friend that about the only way that could be funny would be if the skyscraper had a bag of weapons to fight back with- a net, giant bat, etc. Skyscraper "flips the script" and gives the plane the what-for whenever it gets too close.
                  There IS at least one other way: have a third person dressed as a gorilla.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

LOL, Skyscraper and gorilla tag-teaming the plane! That IS funny
                    Especially if the skyscraper is the Empire State Building!

Comment

LOL, Skyscraper and gorilla tag-teaming the plane! That IS funny
                      Especially if the skyscraper is the Empire State Building!
                      You don't need a third; the gorilla would be part of the skyscraper costume. I bert it would look awesome, too.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And the funny part? The Empire State Building gift shop sells little King Kong plushies!
                        http://store.empirestatebuildinggifts.com/emstbuko.html

Why do I suspect I'll see Osama Bin Ladin cosplayers at the NYC Greenwich village parade?
                        Man oh man, we couldn't make these jokes on the cosplay forum I'm on, not without some self righteous types screaming about how awful we are.

Seriously, I got absolutely wanked all over for a skit idea involving a skyscraper fighting and taking down a generic terrorist/merc/villain, acting as a defender of their city. And somebody else got freaked on for thinking of making even passing mention of Pearl Harbor in a dramatic (non comedy) skit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipecac Drano View Post
                          Is it just me, or do you get a weird, like, uncanny valley thing from that picture... It just doesn't look right to me, I think its a fake...
                          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

And the funny part? The Empire State Building gift shop sells little King Kong plushies!
                            http://store.empirestatebuildinggifts.com/emstbuko.html

OMG! That is just too cute! I want one! *goes into raptures*

Ahem ... Why yes, I do like gorilla plushies. Why do you ask?

ETA:
                            The Bradford Exchange has the Commemorative Illuminated Twin Towers with American Flag statue
                            Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Heh..If it were just the towers, I might be tempted. Even as a kid, I was a HUGE Twin Towers fan. But the flag is kind of overkill. I wonder if it's removable?
                              And now you're all probably thinking I'm horrible, lol.

And yes, the Empire State gift shop does shipping, so you don't have to go to NYC to get your very own King Kong

Comment

Working...
                              X