No announcement yet.

A Student Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of times, when there are issues with students here, the staff and faculty will make analogies to work situations. They usually encourage students to think in terms of "Would this be acceptable on a job?" Yes, you can draw distinctions between the two, but the fact is, the students are here preparing for jobs. This isn't a liberal arts college where people spent four years and 80 grand studying philosophy or Swedish Literature or whatever merely to enlighten themselves.

A case where the prof acts annoyed if you ask for help or something related is a matter of someone not doing their job. The "I pay you" argument would work there. The students I'm talking about use it whenever they are asked to do something they don't want to do (e.g. a hard assignment or test) or if class isn't run exactly the way they think it should be.

I've actually had several talks with this student. Academically, she's a very good student. She's maintained a 4.0 her whole time here. However, she's one of those people who gets her feathers ruffled easily. Several times she has complained about teachers expecting students to "make their lives revolve around the class." And once again, it usually involves assignments or tests she thinks are too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
      However, one thing sticking out for me was that the Instructor was late though.
      This is actually what makes me think that the student is in the wrong.

The teacher was late, and it being the first day of class, it's quite probable that the two hadn't actually met in a classroom situation before. So, as he's getting to the class, he lets her know that he is her teacher and he's going to be starting the class, now. The first part of the first session is one of the parts you have to pay especial attention to, so I'd have done the same in his shoes. And, being just enough Aspie to have issues with vocal tone, someone touchy would have though I was being a dick about it, leaving me totally perplexed as to why they were bent out of shape.

I imagine that if he'd just breezed into the class and she hadn't realized it was her teacher and she'd gone on gabbing on the phone and he marked her as absent or tardy, she'd have thrown an even bigger shit-fit.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Also, like I said earlier, this instructor's voice is naturally kind of loud. In addition to teaching here, he's also a minister, so I guess it comes from him having to project himself from the pulpit. Also, he can be kind of blunt sometimes.

Comment

Working...
        X