No announcement yet.

The Death Penalty Is Unacceptable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, okay; that makes more sense. Thanks.
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Teysa View Post
      I guess we could bring back the stocks and public floggings. That might be a deterrent for some people.
      works for me. It was effective back in the day.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
        It was effective back in the day.
        No it wasn't. The violent crime rate back in the days of the stocks and public floggings was through the roof.

Comment

Cameron Todd Willingham was definitely innocent, and the house fire was an accident and there was lots of evidence and experts willing to back that up. Willingham, as seen by witnesses was very distraught as the house was burning and even had to be restrained and cuffed to keep him from returning to the home. Another thing, setting a fire to kill doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think that there are some crimes that just warrant the death penalty, they just do. However, solitary confinement like Supermax would be a punishment worse than the death penalty, 23 hours a day locked in a small room with limited reading materials, with one hour in an outdoor cage.

This would actually save the state money, since it is shown that Life w/o Parole is cheaper than the Death Penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
            This would actually save the state money, since it is shown that Life w/o Parole is cheaper than the Death Penalty.
            That's another thing I don't get... how can that be? Having someone on Death Row for, say, ten years, then electrocute him, vs. having him in prison for 30-50 years? How can that be more expensive?

Are there any studies made on the subject? How many years in prison are of equal cost to one execution? Where's the break even point?
            "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
            "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Most of the costs related to Death Sentence inmates have to do with all of the various hearings and challenges that must be allowed to try (and often fail) to avoid the execution of innocents.

People who are in jail for the rest of their lives are much less likely to appeal and have campaigns championing their causes when the rest of their lives are allowed to end naturally as opposed to being truncated by the State.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Cameron Todd Willingham was definitely innocent, and the house fire was an accident and there was lots of evidence and experts willing to back that up. Willingham, as seen by witnesses was very distraught as the house was burning and even had to be restrained and cuffed to keep him from returning to the home. Another thing, setting a fire to kill doesn't make a lot of sense.
                So... given all that, why was he ever even prosecuted in the first place, and how did they manage to get a conviction and fail all appeals?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  So... given all that, why was he ever even prosecuted in the first place, and how did they manage to get a conviction and fail all appeals?
                  Because Texas likes murdering people and they won't let facts get in the fair of that. And Rick Perry is governor.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  Most of the costs related to Death Sentence inmates have to do with all of the various hearings and challenges that must be allowed to try (and often fail) to avoid the execution of innocents.
                  Also, since they are more dangerous, they get their own set of guards who must be paid more than normal guards.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    Long story short: The investigator wanted to find arson (and did so with alarming frequency) and those charged with the duty of preventing innocents from being put to death didn't even make a pretense at doing so. In fact, Gov Rick Perry is still trying to stifle any investigation or action that might lead to the declaration that he allowed Willingham to be killed when he had been provided evidence of the false conclusion of the arson report.

Long story long: New Yorker article by David Grann
                    The Innocence Project page

Read the REPORT OF THE TEXAS FORENSIC SCIENCE COMMISSION for some interesting data. Including the fact that although there were major changes in how fire investigation was approached after his conviction, not a single official in Texas made any effort to go over old cases to determine if it might have effected the outcomes.

If nothing else, we cannot continue to accept the death penalty as a punishment option because all of the safeguards in place to protect the innocent from being wrongfully put to death are, at best, a polite fiction.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ah, okay; that makes sense then, I guess.

Andara: thanks for the links; very informative reading.

Comment

Have there been any documented cases where someone's said "well, I was going to murder them, but then remembered that they have the Death Penalty for that, so decided not to"?

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                          If nothing else, we cannot continue to accept the death penalty as a punishment option because all of the safeguards in place to protect the innocent from being wrongfully put to death are, at best, a polite fiction.
                          ^-.-^
                          That's not the question stated in the OP, though...The fact the steps leading UP to the death penalty are flawed enough the steps need to be fixed, that much is a given (That I've seen in this thread, I've not seen anyone supporting the current system, at least)

What hasn't been answered...Is the death penalty itself a valid sentance? Assume we have remote time traveling cameras backed by telepaths who cannot lie backed by an incorruptable judicial system, so we know without a doubt the person did the crime they were accused of...Is it acceptable to kill them? And why do you feel this way?
                          Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

I'm not certain that killing them is really the proper response, ever.

There is a lot that needs to change. But until there is a massive overhaul of the entire system, the death penalty should not be an option at all.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Evandril View Post
                              That's not the question stated in the OP, though...The fact the steps leading UP to the death penalty are flawed enough the steps need to be fixed, that much is a given (That I've seen in this thread, I've not seen anyone supporting the current system, at least)

What hasn't been answered...Is the death penalty itself a valid sentance? Assume we have remote time traveling cameras backed by telepaths who cannot lie backed by an incorruptable judicial system, so we know without a doubt the person did the crime they were accused of...Is it acceptable to kill them? And why do you feel this way?
                              I would say yes. If the system were perfect, then I would consider it far kinder to kill someone than to have them rot in prison for the rest of their lives. If there was no way that new evidence could ever, possibly come up that cleared them, and there was no way that person could ever be reformed then, yes, I would support killing them as quickly and painlessly as possible.
                              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
                              X