What would your response be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
    as an athmatic that is just lovely to hear. So sorry my breathing difficulty is such an annoyance for you.
    The key word was acting.

There's two types of the anti-smokers - the ones who have a legitimate problem with it, as in like asthma or cancer or some allergy or god forsaken immune deficiancy.

Then there's the fakers - the ones who like being jerks, have no real problem with smoking except that it was there for them to crusade against. They cough not because their lungs are irritated but because they're trying to annoy you. Many of them don't even realize it as they've been horribly brainwashed.

Comment

I'm seriously anti smoking. I don't want it around me. Having said that, even I think the thirty minutes before thing may be a little extreme, but again, their car, their rules, and they have every right to impose that rule on you if they're doing you a favor. The residue might cause them some issue. They can impose any rule they want if it's their car and they're doing you a favor.

If those conditions are not acceptable, then find another ride. It's simple. If they're your only ride and you have no choice but to ride with them, that's not their problem. That's your problem. If your addiction is such you can't wait that long, again, that's no one's problem but yours and nobody has any obligation to you as a result of it. It's a self imposed condition and non smokers often don't have a lot of sympathy.

When I say "you" and "your" I'm not saying it to anyone in particular, I'm using it to keep the driver and the rider apart for the sake of the conversation.
      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 09-23-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
        His car, your license. You both need each other. Who makes the rules?
        The one who owns the car is the one who has the potential to eventually sell the car. Their rules trump the driver's.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Being a smoker myself Ill even refrain from smoking if Im giving a non smoker a ride. Hell, I can go without a smoke for a long time before I get the jitters.

But ultimately, its my car my rules. If I want a smoke in my car then I will have one. I do however feel that asking someone not to smoke for a half hour before is a little over the deep end, but if they need a ride they should honor that simple request. If Im doing some one a favor they dont get to dictate the terms of that favor.

Comment

I think the 30 minutes is a bit much (no smoking is the car is understandable), but I fully respect the car owners right to make the rules.

Comment

I, personally, do not think it's a bit much to ask a smoker, whom I'm giving a ride home to, to not light up up to a half hour before taking them home. I have been the only owner of my two year old car, no one in my household smokes [or has long since quit], I do not want my car smelling like someone just finished smoking. If they want to smoke, they can do it when I've taken them home. If I am going to be riding with a smoker, I'll gladly go by their rules.

And it really isn't so much that I don't have any sympathy for smokers -- I kinda see both sides of the smoker/non-smoker debate. However, as a non-smoker, I do not see a reason why smokers can not abide by simple requests when they are at someone's house or taking a ride from someone who does not smoke. Like Kinkoid said, if it's that hard to not smoke for any length of time then there should be other ways to get home.

Comment

You do realize, I hope, that there is an enormous difference between *smoking* in a car and *having smoked before getting in.* The one will leave a permanent or near-permanent odor; the other will NOT. Any minor smell they leave behind will dissipate, the same as if you'd, say, brought home a box of carry-out.

As for the situation where it's one person's car but only the other can drive... I'd say go by the car itself. If the car is normally smoked in, it doesn't matter whether you smoke or not, but if it *isn't* then you're essentially causing damage.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I fully realize that, however I still would not want a smoker to smoke up to a half hour before I take them home. It will still smell up my car, of which I really do not want to happen even on a short-term basis. I find that more rude then smoking itself, that someone who smokes can not abide by a simple request for someone who doesn't want their car to smell like cig smoke, no matter how long the odor lingers afterwards.

Comment

See, I've had a slight issue with this new shift and a coworker, because for the longest time, she didn't have a ride to/from work. I was her ride home. And while I didn't mind doing it, and have been naughty and smoke occasionally in my car, I always have the window down and am always cleaning the ashes and smell away. I don't want a nasty smoker car.

This coworker barely rolls the window down, so I have to remind her to roll it ALL the way down, no matter the weather. I feel kinda bad, but I am the one doing the favor.

What also bugs me is that on my lunch break, I don't want to sit my car and smoke for 30 mins. That's 3 cigarettes. That will permeate and make the car absolutely wreak, because the car isn't moving. But then she started having issues walking and I felt bad about making her walk across the street with me to sit and smoke over there, but I do not want a wreaky smoker's car. Fortunately, she now has her car back, so we smoke in hers. But I've had to bring perfume to work with me, because her car smells of years of smoke and it's like they never vaccuum it or deoderize it.

My car only smells like smoke if I go in and out of it right after smoking. I'm so good about keeping the windows down, airing it out, and fumigating the air, it never smells like anyone routinely smokes in there. And I want it to stay that way.

Don't ask me why.....I hate the smell of smoke. And I smoke. It's odd.
                    Last edited by blas87; 09-25-2011, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                      Don't ask me why.....I hate the smell of smoke. And I smoke. It's odd.
                      Probably something like me - fresh cigar smoke can be very pleasant. Stale stuff - blech.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm of the same mind set, my car my rules.. I think asking them not to smoke for up to so many minutes before entering your car might be pushing it, something about that just seems a bit OTT and slightly rude.. but then again if it's something you do yourself, it is your car, so it is your rules... Myself I am not a smoker, but I don't care if people smoke in my car.. Most choose not to because they know I don't.. I don't allow smoking in my house at all... but then I take care of my house, my car hasn't seen soap in 4 years! LOL!
                        You're Perfect Yes It's True.. But Without Me You're Only You!

Comment

When my husband smoked, he'd light up outdoors, stand so that the breeze blew the smoke away from him (as smokers tend to do anyway), and wash his hands when he got in.

I never smelled smoke on him even five minutes after he finished.

That terribly strong stale smoke odor is usually from people's clothes, and is usually caused by people smoking indoors.

But your car, your rules. I think the 30 minute rule is unnecessarily extreme, but it's totally up to your passengers if they want to do it. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                            That terribly strong stale smoke odor is usually from people's clothes, and is usually caused by people smoking indoors.
                            Not necessarily. My ex smoked like a chimney, and he could shower, put on freshly washed clothing and within half an hour, even if he hadn't lit up, yet, he'd reek of smoke. Nicotine gets sweated out of the body, so someone who is prone to sweating will start smelling like stale nicotine even if they haven't been near a cigarette for a while. Those of us who don't smoke and don't have other ailments preventing us from smelling smoke will be able to tell. People who don't sweat as much will have less of a problem.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                              . If the person I'm riding with starts coughing like a jerk and acting like he's having an asthma attack (and I can tell he's one of the local theater company's rejects) I'll probably light up anyway. He's already freaking out so it really doesn't matter what I do!
                              that would be a quick way to find yourself walking the rest of the way home.

Comment

I smoke and I would respect the wishes of the driver, if they were smoking, I would feel free to light up, if not, I would just suck it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X