No announcement yet.

Too Many Touchdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as the kid is okay with it, Im okay with it. But he shouldnt be limited just because he has higher abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
      I think he should be allowed to keep scoring. If he's so much better, he shouldn't be held back.

On the other hand, I think his coach has to make sure that other kids get the chance to play too. Its not on him to stop scoring, but on the coach to make sure the other kids enjoy themselves too.
      You see, I think he shouldn't be held back for a different reason.

If the coach does not use him to constantly win, then the coach is not doing his job. The whole idea that the kids should enjoy themselves too is entirely secondary to winning. Whether professional or recreational, the goal of the football team is to win, to Win, TO WIN. There's first place and loser place.

So if all the other kids get sidelined, that's just too dang bad. It's winner take all; that's why you play football.
      Last edited by FArchivist; 10-23-2011, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
        So if all the other kids get sidelined, that's just too dang bad. It's winner take all; that's why you play football.
        How's about you go back and actually read either the article or, hey, even the rest of this thread.

The rule only comes into effect after the team is ahead 14 points, and likely falls out once the team is no longer ahead 14 points. So, hey, no, the coach isn't failing to do his job and the team isn't not winning due to this rule.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Also, the fact that these kids are, what, twelve years old? I think that learning to work as a team and having fun take priority over winning at that age.

Comment

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
            You see, I think he shouldn't be held back for a different reason.

If the coach does not use him to constantly win, then the coach is not doing his job. The whole idea that the kids should enjoy themselves too is entirely secondary to winning. Whether professional or recreational, the goal of the football team is to win, to Win, TO WIN. There's first place and loser place.

This isn't pro ball. It isn't even high school ball. That's a bad age to tell kids win at all costs. This is the age where teaching teamwork and good sportsmanship is crucial. We already have too many professional athletes who think their shit don't stink.

The vast majority of kids who play sports never go on to high school sports. The vast majority who play high school sports don't get picked up for college sports. The vast majority who play college sports don't make it to the pro leagues, or if they do are done in one or two seasons due to injuries or lack of talent.

We do kids a disservice if we emphasize the superstar kid at age 11. He's a superstar there. He likely won't be by the time he hits college. If on the off chance he is, he'll be better off having a sense of good sportsmanship that maybe might make watching pro sports palatable again (I can't stand the ego train of some of these guys).

Teaching kids how to be winners is one thing. Teaching them to rip out the guts of the opposition and stomp on them is another.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            How's about you go back and actually read either the article or, hey, even the rest of this thread.

The rule only comes into effect after the team is ahead 14 points, and likely falls out once the team is no longer ahead 14 points. So, hey, no, the coach isn't failing to do his job and the team isn't not winning due to this rule.

^-.-^
            OK, let's flip the coin here.

You can't legislate good manners or good sportsmanship. It's a GAME, and is played to win. Singling one player out because he is good at the game is patently unfair. If I were on the opposing team, I'd feel insulted. It's effectively saying I'm too incompetent to come up with a strategy to deal with this gifted athlete so we have to institute a special rule. That's BS.

I do martial arts. I'm not a natural at it by any means. But I'm learning how to use strategy to overcome opponents during sparring. One of my friends, who's my belt level, was getting frustrated because I'd mop the floor with her during sparring practice.

She figured out my strategies and my weaknesses: I favor my left leg for kicking, love front foot kicks, and am good in the clinch. Next think I knew, she was mopping the floor with ME.

So now I'm working on new strategies to win

That's what the opposing coaches need to do; work on strategies to stop this superstar kid. It can be done. Football is as much a game of strategy as it is of physical prowess. That duty has been taken away from them by this stupid rule.
            Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
            X