No announcement yet.

Louisiana Outlaws Second-Hand Sales for Cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what about the folks who have a fleamarket booth or have a secondhand store that's filled with wares they buy from garage sales, craigslist, whatever? I understand the purpose of the law, but it sure makes it hard for anyone hunting through yardsales for things to sell through their ebay business. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
      So what about the folks who have a fleamarket booth or have a secondhand store that's filled with wares they buy from garage sales, craigslist, whatever? I understand the purpose of the law, but it sure makes it hard for anyone hunting through yardsales for things to sell through their ebay business. Unless I'm reading this wrong.
      A fleamarket booth or secondhand store would be considered "dealers" under the law.

I think the plethora of different types of "dealers" would have a hard time complying with this law.

They don't usually buy things from customers the way pawn shops do. They usually get their goods at yard sales or auctions because they can usually get it much cheaper than buying it piecemeal. So I'm not sure I see the point of this law other than to track sales for taxation purposes.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
        So I'm not sure I see the point of this law other than to track sales for taxation purposes.
        Maybe to track stolen goods being sold as that person's second-hand gear?

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Does this apply to 2nd hand video game stores?
          I can imagine a spike in CS postings about this if there is a large enough user base located in the affected area.

Also the not being able to resell to customers paying with cash, unless that is one of the misread items would also harm the 2nd hand video game buyer, especially if they are children shopping with their pocket money and their parents are not around to pay for them (assuming they are buying games not rated above their age bracket).

Comment

I misread the info on sales to generic consumers. They are allowed to pay cash.

But you are right about the used game trade. Anyone who wishes to trade in games will have to fill out all of the associated forms (as will the store) and cannot be paid in cash.

While this won't have much of an effect on the criminals it's supposed to target, it will definitely have a chilling effect on legitimate used sales.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It'll affect stores like Game Stop that have corporate masters who need to comply with silly laws.

It'll have no effect on mom and pop dealers unless the state decides to send in auditors to go over the books . . . which I bet Louisiana hasn't budgeted for.

I'm really surprised such a law went through considering who their governor is.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                Does this apply to 2nd hand video game stores?
                Second hand Game store are already under pawn shop laws.

Comment

Working...
                X