Texas vs Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas vs Science

Texas agency censors scientific report to remove references to reality (article at Ars Technica)

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) commissioned a report on the future of Galveston Bay, and when that report came back with information on the increase in the rate of sea level rise, they decided to doctor the report to obfuscate the findings. When asked, a TCEQ spokesperson was quoted as saying, "Information was included in a report that we disagree with." Nevermind that they were editing measurable facts and not opinions.

It's unclear who made the decision; whether it was someone higher up (both Gov. Perry and the head of the TCEQ, who was appointed by Perry, refuse to accept that climate change actually happens) or whether someone further down, knowing of inclinations of those above them, did so as a pro-active measure on their own initiative.

Once the issue was made public, all authors of the report asked that their names be removed.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    It's unclear who made the decision; whether it was someone higher up (both Gov. Perry and the head of the TCEQ, who was appointed by Perry, refuse to accept that climate change actually happens) or whether someone further down, knowing of inclinations of those above them, did so as a pro-active measure on their own initiative.
    By putting fingers in their ears and going "NANANANANANANANANANAICANTHEARYOUNANANANANANANANA" , it means that they don't actually have to do anything. Lazy bastards.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

right texas doesn't want to believe they will eventually be flooded...
      I've lived in that state all my life, they get worse over time...
      last i checked in with people there, they stopped making sense five years ago
      Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
      Yeah we're so over, over
      Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

That recently?
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Your thread title is a misnomer.

There's no such thing as science in Texas.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
            Your thread title is a misnomer.

There's no such thing as science in Texas.
            or several other states apparently.
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
              or several other states apparently.
              Hey! Are you questioning Jeebus? -.-

Comment

Sheldon "He will be stating that the universe is older than 6,000 years, but I thought you could stick your fingers in your ears and hum amazing grace during those parts"

Kinda sums it up.
                I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Its Texas, they pretend to teach science in school.

Comment

Well, they have Science class, but in most other states it's called Religion. Except in Kansas, of course.

Comment

Guys. Next time Texas says they want to secede, let's let them.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                        Guys. Next time Texas says they want to secede, let's let them.
                        preferably soon enough that it makes Rick Perry ineligible to run for President...
                        please, let Texas keep their crazy to themselves.
                        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

It seems like the GOP take on science has been the same take as the creationists...if I repeat something often enough, it must be true. Nevermind any evidence to the contrary. If God says the Earth was created in 7 days...then it must have been. If that makes the Earth only 6,000 years old...Oh well...it must be true.

Comment

Just sharing some more Texan science derp.
                            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

The scary thing is, because Texas is such a big textbook market, publishers tend to curry the favor of Texas politicians in writing text books that are then sold nationwide.

Scary.
                              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X