Man arrested for carrying mother out of wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man arrested for carrying mother out of wedding

So basically mother objects to the wedding and is removed by groom, he's arrested and told by a judge to respect his mother. BS! What about respecting the wedding?

http://news.yahoo.com/nev-man-accuse...000905099.html

Justice Perkins can stay the fuck out of the guy's personal life, frankly.

Comment

There's a reason why the preacher says, "And if anyone should object to this union, let him speak now or forever hold his peace."

Still, in the modern day and age, Mom should not have disrupted her son's wedding, no matter how much she hated the bridge or for whatever reason she had for doing this. She should respect her son's wishes in mates. The time for that discussion is before the wedding date. Spoiling a wedding is just plain rude. It might be romantic in the comedies. In real life, no one finds it funny.

Mom has probably ruined any chance she ever had at a relationship with her future DIL, and potential grand children.

Not to mention probably costing Son and his Wife a boatload of money that will not be refunded due to Mom's behavior.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

The mother claims that she was invited to the wedding and that the moment she arrived he "grabbed me by the neck of my shirt and [dragged] me out of the church."

She walks with the aid of a cane and refused any medical treatment after the altercation though she was checked by paramedics.

Article at The Record-Courier with more details

According to this, it was a civil ceremony for which they needed a witness, which is why the mother was called. The idea that he would call her when he needed her only to drag her off with no provocation is laughable, at best.

The pastor who was to officiate stated that the son carried her out of the church; he did not drag her as she claims. He also backs up the couple in that the mother was very vocal in her objection to the wedding, to which he responded that it wasn't her decision.

How much of a controlling witch do you have to be that you're willing to accuse your son of domestic battery and coercion just to stop him from marrying?

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If he knew she objected to the wedding, though, why would he call *her* when he needed a witness? Surely there was *somebody* else available. Even a stranger.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's possible that he wasn't aware of just how strongly she objected.

Seriously, would you expect your own mother to have you arrested to stop you from getting married to someone she didn't approve of?

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Many times people who behave that way do not always. My mother has done similar things to me but at other times she will give the shirt off of her back to help. My guess is that he called her not knowing that on that day he would get the bad side.

I cannot believe the judge would tell him to respect his mother after her behavior. I find it disturbing that that judge is on the bench.

Sadly, it is very common (although, usually the child is a minor). I was raised by a mentally ill mother who psychologically tortured me. When I would react with anger (vocally-never with violence) she would get an authority figure ( police, teacher, therapist) to side with her and tell me how I need to respect my mother. I was once threatened with arrest and juvenile detention for yelling at my mother (I was 13 and she repeatedly kept calling me slut and fat) by a police officer. Parents behavior is often excused as a "parenting decision" unless it reaches the level of severe physical abuse.

Comment

So.. what he should have called the police and had them remove his mother from the wedding?

This was a no win situation and the judge needs to be disbarred for stupidity or something.

Comment

I wonder how fast this story will appear on the MotherInLawStories.com web site????
                  I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                  The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

It'd be a good one for that Monster In Law show on A&E.

I've only been to a few weddings in my life, but I've never actually seen anyone "object" to the wedding in such a way that it causes a disturbance. Most people who object, don't go.

If they were in that dire need of a witness, do they not have friends? Siblings? Cousins?

Comment

^If I objected to someone's wedding, I would either bring up my concerns before the wedding if possible, not go, or if I absolutely had to go (not going would cause more drama, etc.), then I would simply shut up and leave as soon as was politely possible.

He should not have to "respect" the bitch who got him arrested for not wanting her haranguing him out of his wedding.
                      "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

That judge made a boneheaded decision to be honest. The groom had every right to take his mother out of the wedding to not spoil it. I sure as hell wouldn't want anybody (no matter what relation they have to me) to spoil my wedding. If they so much as say something to object to the marriage at the wedding...they get booted out. Simple as that.
                        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

It's easy for me to say what he should have done after the fact, but he should have called the cops on her, then have one of the cops be a witness.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Uh, I hate this mentality.

Just because someone is your mother or father, doesn't mean you have to put up with their unreasonable demands. Especially since I assume this guy was living independant of them. In that case, he can do what ever he wants regardless of whether or not mommy is okay with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                              There's a reason why the preacher says, "And if anyone should object to this union, let him speak now or forever hold his peace."
                              I've always heard it was, "If anyone has any just cause" and that would cover saying that not liking the bride was a flippant objection at best.

Must admit I don't tend to get invited to many weddings, so my experience in what is said is very limited.

Rapscallion
                              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X