Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get shot by stray round = jailed until you identify shooter

Link

A 35-year-old woman was hit in the leg by a stray bullet getting out of a friend's car. She got taken to hospital by the friend. Police got called and things started getting surreal.

The cops wanted her to identify the friend as the shooter. She says that it wasn't him. The friend offered to have a lie detector test and his hands tested for gunshot residue. No thanks, the cops say, you can go.

The gunshot victim however...

...handcuffed to a bench, not allowed to go to the toilet, fed only a McD's hamburger a day, not allowed to go before a judge for five days.

Because she wouldn't change her story.

According to the article, the bullet hit her in the leg, hard enough to penetrate, but not hard enough to pierce her nylons, which by pulling she got the bullet out of her leg. Now, I'm not a forensic scientist, but I have watched CSI. I'm pretty sure that if someone I was next to shot me, the bullet would go in a bit more than that.

There's a part of me that believes this, especially with all these stories of police abuse coming out. If so, than I hope she sues the pants of off all of them and those detectives get fired or jail time. This would be an instance where I believe it would be perfectly justifiable to use leathal force against the cops.

There's another part of me that wonders if she's lying or exaggerating. This is just too over the top to be believable. And since there's only her word against there's, I don't know what to think.

I hope she's lying, because than at least we know this blatant rights abuse wouldn't happen here. But I hate to think that way in case it really did happen.

I'm 50/50.

Comment

This doesn't make sense either way.

But why, if she was arrested on an outstanding warrant, would blaming her friend for shooting her have got her released? Why would the police *want* her to say her friend did it?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Why would the police *want* her to say her friend did it?
        One of a couple of reasons, easy win for them, or, quite possibly, they're trying to get said friend for something else, can't make it stick so try and get them on this.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          But why, if she was arrested on an outstanding warrant, would blaming her friend for shooting her have got her released? Why would the police *want* her to say her friend did it?
          Why do police ever harass and essentially torture people within their custody to get them to make false statements? They want an easy answer to a case that otherwise is going to be impossible to close without en extreme dose of luck.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's a mindset I know exists, but cannot comprehend: preferring fixing blame and penalties where you know they don't belong to saying "we don't know."
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
              According to the article, the bullet hit her in the leg, hard enough to penetrate, but not hard enough to pierce her nylons, which by pulling she got the bullet out of her leg. Now, I'm not a forensic scientist, but I have watched CSI. I'm pretty sure that if someone I was next to shot me, the bullet would go in a bit more than that.
              Well, the type of bullet matters. The type of gun matters. The angle matters. Where exactly in the body it hits matters. The clothes matters. It just plain isn't that simple.

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
              One of a couple of reasons, easy win for them, or, quite possibly, they're trying to get said friend for something else, can't make it stick so try and get them on this.
              Because if she says it is, that drastically improves their case. If they find GSR on him, it only proves he has fired a gun. It doesn't prove where he shot a gun, when he shot it, etc.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

But you could also argue if they test him for GSR and there is none, you could assume as long as he didn't have enough time to do a good clean up that he hasn't fired a gun. Also, you think they would be able to find GSR on her clothes if the friend shot her.

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                  But you could also argue if they test him for GSR and there is none, you could assume as long as he didn't have enough time to do a good clean up that he hasn't fired a gun. Also, you think they would be able to find GSR on her clothes if the friend shot her.
                  Or he was wearing gloves.

And if he isn't point blank, odds are you won't detect much if any at all.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

For the love of....is there a class the nypd takes, to be this stupid and this much like a highschool bully? chaining her to a desk for 5 days, making her piss herself, no restroom breaks, not letting her appear before a judge for five days while badgering her to falsely identify her friend as the shooter, a complete lack of proper procedure.

Between this, and the fixing parking tickets thing in another threat, Im fairly sure there must be a "How to Shoot Onesself in the foot, 101"

I really hope she wins her case.....these animals do not deserve to wear a badge.

Comment

I imagine she's going to get quite a tidy sum going after them for human rights violations, including for refusing to allow her to have a pad, since she was on her period.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This seems almost too fucked up to be real.

But if it is.

Fuck... This is disgusting.

I mean, there are ways to coerce a confession out of someone which practically gaurantees they'll confess, and I can see using that in good faith, thinking "I know he did it, so I just need to do this to get him to say he did it."

But... Really? I could believe this a lot more if it was the friend they had. A cop's job isn't to believe someone. If they think you did it, they work to prove it, even if you say you didn't. From their perspective, they might KNOW you did it and the inhumane treatment is to make you ADMIT you did it. In this case, though... I can't see how anyone could justify this to themselves.
                        Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 11-01-2011, 10:35 PM.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                          I imagine she's going to get quite a tidy sum going after them for human rights violations, including for refusing to allow her to have a pad, since she was on her period.

^-.-^
                          It's not the cops job to keep sanitary napkins handy in a police station. If you're in jail, you buy them from the commissary.

In a pinch, a wad of rolled up toilet paper will do short term.

However, being held in a police station for 3 days is inexcusable, as is refusing to test a suspects hands for gun residue. Even if he wore gloves, that test is just basic, basic police procedure. The cops have probable cause to search the vehicle and the home of the suspect if they really believe he was the shooter.

Someone was either on a power trip or had another agenda.

NYPD really needs to get its act together.
                          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                            It's not the cops job to keep sanitary napkins handy in a police station. If you're in jail, you buy them from the commissary.

In a pinch, a wad of rolled up toilet paper will do short term.
                            So, you're just ignoring the part where they had her cuffed to a bench and refused to allow her to use the restroom at all, even to pee, much less to try to do anything about bleeding all over her clothing?

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                            X