Pregnant woman arrested for eating sandwich @ store, not paying for it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
    Ah, so you're nitpicking. Well, I can do that too then if you want. Not all grapes are the same size and weight. See?
    It's not nitpicking, you made an incorrect statement. While it's true that grapes are not all the same size and weight, they're all close enough to make the difference fairly negligible.

Look, I agree with you that eating weighted products is kind of shitty, but to say there's "no way" to figure out is just talking out of your ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
      Look, I agree with you that eating weighted products is kind of shitty, but to say there's "no way" to figure out is just talking out of your ass.
      but that's just it. they should not have to "figure out" what it's worth on the store's end in the first place. the customer shouldnt have been doing it in the first place. it's rude and inconsiderate to the store and, in the end, the loss will drive up prices which is inconsiderate to the other customers.
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
        but that's just it. they should not have to "figure out" what it's worth on the store's end in the first place. the customer shouldnt have been doing it in the first place. it's rude and inconsiderate to the store and, in the end, the loss will drive up prices which is inconsiderate to the other customers.
        As I said....

to say there's "no way" to figure out is just talking out of your ass.

Comment

It's not nitpicking, you made an incorrect statement. While it's true that grapes are not all the same size and weight, they're all close enough to make the difference fairly negligible.
          That's exactly what nitpicking is. >.>

Comment

As I said....
            yes but there is a diffrent between they can and they should have to. they shouldnt have to figure out weights because people shouldnt be grazing in the first place. its common courtesy!
            Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• lol never knew it was nitpicking to point out how someone was wrong. do we always make up our own words here? seems like some people have absolutely no clue what words like "nitpick" or "strawman" actually mean. little hint - it doesn't mean you don't like the argument.

Comment

• nitpick
                verb
                °To correct minutiae or find fault in unimportant details; to kvetch.
                "Someone will invariably nitpick about any spelling error posted to the forums."
                °(archaic) To pick nits - lice eggs - from someone’s hair.
                "Watch the mother gorrilla nitpick the baby’s fur clean."
                synonyms: cavil

straw man
                noun
                °A doll or scarecrow (particularly one stuffed with straw).
                °An insubstantial concept, idea, endeavor or argument, particularly one deliberately set up to be weakly supported, so that it can be easily knocked down; especially to impugn the strength of any related thing or idea.

courtesy of ninjawords. (and i couldnt resist)

Comment

Saying that the store should have any idea how many grapes some jerk ate between the produce section and the register is asinine. It might be pedantically accurate, but it's not correct.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• I never said they did. Please read better. Show me anywhere I said "The store should be getting substitute grapes to make up the difference!"

Comment

• maybe they should just make a grazers fee. caught eating for something you didnt pay for, pay $10 per item type (ie: handful of grapes $10 plus an orange so another $10, etc.) post it in giant letters when people enter, in the produce section, and by the till. as long as it's posted, right?

Comment

• No, I have no arrest or conviction record of such for that crime and I don't intend to go looking. It's enough for me that the law is on the books here in GA and has a criminal penalty prescribed for it. If a law is on the books and it is broken, that is crime, regardless if anyone has been arrested or convicted of it previously, now, or in the future.
                        Then everything in your post is worthless, because you did not bother to show that your claim is correct, despite an impressive amount of verbiage expanding on the claim itself.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm pretty sure that by definition offering to pay for something negates shoplifting.
                          So, by that logic, stealing your car is fine and dandy provided that they offer to give it back when caught?

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                          At what point, if ever, do you take responsibility for your own actions?
                          I believe you've hit the proverbial nail on the head, as has been evidenced both in this thread and in the larger world in general, people refuse to take any personal responsibility, it's always someone elses responsibility or fault, I'm just waiting for someone to blame their skid marks on the toilet paper not working properly rather than just doing a bad job at wiping their own ass, or blame someone else because they didn't wipe their ass for them.
                          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

lol never knew it was nitpicking to point out how someone was wrong. do we always make up our own words here? seems like some people have absolutely no clue what words like "nitpick" or "strawman" actually mean. little hint - it doesn't mean you don't like the argument.
                            siead beat me too it. Perhaps you should invest in a dictionary or at least bookmark one. -.-

Comment

• To all who claim that they never forget stuff or that couldn't happen to you, here's a thread dedicated to just that sort of brain-burp over at CS. Are you arguing that all of those people, who each made it out the door with unpaid-for merchandise, and in some cases with said items tucked in pockets, should have been charged with shoplifting?

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                                Then everything in your post is worthless, because you did not bother to show that your claim is correct, despite an impressive amount of verbiage expanding on the claim itself.
                                The law is on the books and breaking that law has a criminal penalty assigned to it. I fail to see how an arrest or conviction changes that fact. Unless you're one of those people I regularly encounter that think that if you're not arrested and convicted of a crime, that law does not exist.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                                If you were paying other people to do it for you, then you wouldn't be the guy in line at the bank.
                                I have an account at the bank. Therefore, I am paying the teller to deal with all of that for me. It's really that simple.

Also, you never check up on the people you pay to do stuff for you? Where can I sign up?
                                Feel free. Just know that if you screw me over, I will deliberately make your life a living hell in every legal way possible. Breaking a contract with me can result in you losing your bank accounts, your property, and your job. I've already made one person homeless and jobless on the streets of Austin, TX and I sure don't mind repeating the action.

Except a servant like that works for you. A teller works for the bank and while they might suffer if it's found that they make a mistake like that, you can't fire them. A servant, on the other hand, has to keep you happy.
                                Anyone who I do business with wherein I am a customer works for me. They are required to follow the rules of their establishment and rebuff me if I seek to break them, but in all other ways, they are required to do as I bid. Yes, I know other people do not share that same viewpoint.

It's a broken analogy. Again, if that's your situation, then the servant would be the one at the teller window, not you. Once you got your "hands dirty" by doing your own work, you became responsible for looking out for your own best interests.
                                Except that I view the teller as the servant.

Comment

Working...
                                X