occupy san diego-issuing death threats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• occupy san diego-issuing death threats

to street vendors, when they stopped handing out free food.

Coffee cart owner Linda Jenson and hot dog cart operators Letty and Pete Soto said they initially provided free food and drink to demonstrators, but when they stopped, the protesters became violent.
    “Both carts have had items stolen, have had their covers vandalized with markings and graffiti, as well as one of the carts had urine and blood splattered on it,”
    In addition to the attacks, the vendors also said they recently received death threats.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

I'd need corroboration for this one, which is probably why mainstream media haven't reported on it.
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

As mentioned in another thread, considering that this report apparently has only a single source, I find myself highly skeptical.

^-.-^
      Last edited by Andara Bledin; 11-09-2011, 04:24 AM. Reason: typos >_<
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm more bemused people in the comments thread are claiming there was no police action because police are on the protestors side because they're union. >.>

Comment

The fact that its on CBS and not some blog or smear site says to me that at the very least someone TOLD them it happened. I don't know how you would find corroboration.

I don't know if it happened or not, but I also don't know how you could satisfactorily prove it.
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
            The fact that its on CBS and not some blog or smear site says to me that at the very least someone TOLD them it happened. I don't know how you would find corroboration.
            I don't doubt they were probably at least harrassed by a few jackasses, Occupy NY had the same problem. They did free food too, but were having troubles with people basically using them as a food bank. Then a few people threw a shit fit when they stopped getting freebies.

The problem with this article, like most of them, is that no matter what happens anywhere in, around or remotely near them it gets blamed on "the protestors" even if it happened too the protestors. The noise machine to discredit Occupy is running so loud its hard to sort anything remotely truthful out of it. Its turned into the boy who cried wolf. They've been trying so hard to discredit them that if something actually does happen it'll just be dismissed as more smear. -.-

Comment

What baffles me is that people still swallow everything they're fed without questioning it at all, and then parrot it back like good little puppets.

You'd think after the first half dozen outright lies told in the press about "violence by protesters" some people would at least look for something better than a tea party blog going, "OMG, Occupy Wall Street shot my dog!" before posting it up as proof positive that the protesters are violent thugs.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

1. This is NOT some Tea Party blog crying about the protestors. This is a LOCAL NEWS STATION reporting what is happening. All one has to do is hover their mouse pointer over the link to see that.

2. The longer the protestors are out there, without a clear set of demands, without a strong leader(s), there are going to be people who eventually will "ruin it" for the more peaceful protestors. That's why they will eventually not be able to have nice things.
                Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post

I don't know if it happened or not, but I also don't know how you could satisfactorily prove it.
                  Without witnesses willing to testify, or video showing it, you can't.

But this is true any time, not just during a protest.

I'm wary of believing this claim just because the vendors said so. It may very well be true, but I can't take everything I hear at face value.

This is why courts need something called "evidence."
                  Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

No amount of proof will satisfy some people. So sad.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/09...cupy-protests/

Two national news stations now.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                      Without witnesses willing to testify, or video showing it, you can't.

But this is true any time, not just during a protest.

I'm wary of believing this claim just because the vendors said so. It may very well be true, but I can't take everything I hear at face value.

This is why courts need something called "evidence."
                      Yes, I know what evidence is. As I said, there's no way to know. I am inclined to believe it, though, based on what I've seen of people. It sounds like a typical SC throwing a fit because policies changed. And there's no reason to think that the occupy movement doesn't have any SCs in it. It doesn't sound that ridiculous to me.

And you're not going to get any witnesses other than the vendors claiming it, because what I got from the article was the only witnesses would have been the people actually MAKING the threats. They're not going to come forward.

I'm not saying the protests should stop, or that they're full of thugs, but I am saying that we should consider that there are some people in the protests, who are genuinely protesting, who are really not good people.

I feel that we're holding too high of a standard. It feels like we're asking for a full legal case before we believe that any of the protesters might have some effect that's not 100% good. We should consider, I think, that even if they're not all bad, (and I hardly think they are) there will always be some bad apples in any movement.

You'd think after the first half dozen outright lies told in the press about "violence by protesters" some people would at least look for something better than a tea party blog going, "OMG, Occupy Wall Street shot my dog!" before posting it up as proof positive that the protesters are violent thugs.
                      Unless I mistook something that's a mainstream news outlet, not a Tea Party blog.
                      Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 11-09-2011, 03:40 PM.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Based on all of this, it seems like alot of people are going out of their way to discredit the Occupy folks based on things other than the merits of their arguments. I guess it's kind of hard to argue with the fact that the top 1% in the United States saw a pretty unprecedented growth in their income and wealth while pretty much everyone else has seen their income or wealth pretty much stagnate.

Now admittedly, there are many reasons for this and unfortunately those reasons don't fit well on a poster or 30 second soundbite. Generally, wealth gaps like this are not good things for the health of the country overall nor do they tend to be sustainable. But at any rate, both the Tea Party and Occupy movements show that people are pissed off in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Day
                          No amount of proof will satisfy some people. So sad.
                          No offence but "Proof" and "Fox News" in the same thought is a paradox at best. They have no credibility to speak of. Especially not on this topic. I'm not saying nothing happened and all the protestors are prancing Carebears, but if Fox said the sky is blue I'd look outside and double check.

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy
                          I'm not saying the protests should stop, or that they're full of thugs, but I am saying that we should consider that there are some people in the protests, who are genuinely protesting, who are really not good people.
                          No one's disagreeing with that. The problem is media is latching on to anything to try and prove that all of the protestors world wide are exactly the same way. There's so much shit being flung at Occupy just to see if anything sticks that its getting ridiculous. Then the moment it looks like some might have adhered, they jump right in with a brush and desperately try to smear it over everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            No offence but "Proof" and "Fox News" in the same thought is a paradox at best. They have no credibility to speak of. Especially not on this topic. I'm not saying nothing happened and all the protestors are prancing Carebears, but if Fox said the sky is blue I'd look outside and double check.
                            Well, who didn't see this argument coming from a mile away?
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                              Well, who didn't see this argument coming from a mile away?
                              You can't seriously sit there and say Fox is an accurate, objective source for news. Its not. This has been pretty obvious for years now. They can and do twist the news to fit an agenda. They are not a credible source, especially not on something they are politically opposed too, such as Occupy.

Again, I'm not saying there's nothing to this story, but Fox is not a credible source. Simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                              X