No announcement yet.

Don't pull that speeding driver over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen cops blow through traffic lights or stop signs without a second thought. I've been passed by a car (me going about 2-3 mph over the speed limit), and had that car passed like it was sitting still by a cop..and they were not chasing the first car, because they have sped right past it like IT was standing still. U-turns, etc..no lights .. no sirens .. just 'because they can'. I've seen a car turn on lights/sirens just to pass a stoplight/stopsign and then turn off the lights/sirens.

I respect police officers, firemen, ambulances and the like. Officers put their life on the line every day..so I can see giving SOME leeway. When they start just abusing the power given to them, however, it is time to stop the respect. They are not above the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
      I've seen cops blow through traffic lights or stop signs without a second thought.
      I think I can top that. My first apartment was on a one-way street in the city. Right after I parked and got out of my car, I saw a cop going the wrong way up my street. He didn't have his siren or lights going, so I don't think he was chasing anyone or responding to a call. If I would have arrived home about a half a minute later, he would have hit me head on.
      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Yet one more reason I want to have a dashcam.
        Low end Flip - $100
        Windshield or dashboard mount: $30

I see police speeding all the time, too but never recklessly (if I'm doing 5-10 MpH over, they'll pass me at about 5MpH over what I'm doing). I also admit they have better training to handle higher speeds than we do. If traffic is heavy they won't swerve in and out of lanes just go get a car length or two ahead.

It was also like this in NH but I'll admit, in NJ there were rather aggressive with their driving.

Comment

I've seen cops blow through traffic lights or stop signs without a second thought. I've been passed by a car (me going about 2-3 mph over the speed limit), and had that car passed like it was sitting still by a cop..and they were not chasing the first car, because they have sped right past it like IT was standing still. U-turns, etc..no lights .. no sirens .. just 'because they can'. I've seen a car turn on lights/sirens just to pass a stoplight/stopsign and then turn off the lights/sirens.

I respect police officers, firemen, ambulances and the like. Officers put their life on the line every day..so I can see giving SOME leeway. When they start just abusing the power given to them, however, it is time to stop the respect. They are not above the law.
          I once pulled in behind a marked Greensboro PD police car who was behind a pickup truck who'd blown a stop sign. I figured the cop was speeding to catch up with the scofflaw to give him a ticket, but he never put his lights or siren on.

Pickup blew another stop sign. So did the cop. Both were traveling at high speeds (well, so was I, but I was only about 5 over). Pickup blows a red light.

So does cop . . . turning right to head towards the highway (which would take him back to Greensboro).

I'd gotten his tag number. I called Metro 911 and filed a complaint.

And I'm VERY pro cop. But this was just ridiculous.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I get the mentality behind the whole taking care of each other attitude. Some of it comes from the dangerous that come with the job and having the back of the guy who might have your back when shit hits the fan. That being said, there is a line there and I think it gets abused a lot more than it should.

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            I don't get the "Back up all fellow cops!" attitude. It should be "Back up all fellow cops who do the right thing!" instead. When a cop does something wrong, they embarrass not only the station itself but cops everywhere. Cops should shun bad cops so as to prove that being a cop isn't about being a jerk above the law.
            A lot of the good cops do shun the bad ones. The problem is that if management over the bad cop sides with the bad cop, the good coworkers are putting a lot on the line just to say so publicly (to the media). And if they aren't even in the same department, they still run a risk by saying something, if the media even were to talk to them. Not saying more of an effort couldn't be made but I can see where it can be tricky. A lot of it (as far as what attitude is being publicly conveyed) comes down to management. The boss may think that the ticket shouldn't have been given but that's not to say the other officers feel the same way. (hope I explained right, still waking up ) But having heard my police coworkers talk about bad cops before, I know that they aren't happy about it when stuff like this happens.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            Yet one more reason I want to have a dashcam.
            I wish we had those in my department! They really only help good cops and help get bad cops fired. But since we are a community college department with most everything in one big building, we do very little traffic and most everything on foot. Would help with our one officer who is like a DUI magnet though! He seems to be able to catch one a week at least and a video of what happened would help with his cases.

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
            He didn't have his siren or lights going, so I don't think he was chasing anyone or responding to a call.
            Not an argument about your story or the OP story, just a bit of information but sometimes they leave the lights and sirens off on calls on purpose. I wish most of the stories like yours were because of instances like that but unfortunately that's probably not the case. Was just mentioning that as something to keep in mind that it's not always the cop being a dick.

Comment

Officers put their life on the line every day..so I can see giving SOME leeway.
              How dangerous do you think being a cop is?

Not even in the top ten.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                How dangerous do you think being a cop is?

Not even in the top ten.
                As far as I know no one will actively seek out a roofer or farmer and kill them just because they're a roofer or farmer doing their job.

Comment

Here are some major differences, however. SOME police and firemen put themselves into dangerous situations to protect others. While a cop/fireman in 'Mayberry' (ie small/medium sized town) might not ever face any danger one in say LA might be in a lot more danger. They have backup and training to help. Not dying doesn't always come down to not as dangerous, sometimes it comes down to how much training and help you have.

Don't get me wrong, being a roofer or farmer can be dangerous falling off roofs, being run over by a tractor, etc..most of it is due to carelessness or bad luck more then anything. So statistics only tell part of a story. Yes there are police jobs and firemen jobs that are safer then being a circus clown...then there are ones that are very dangerous.

Heck Statistically it is safer for me to be driving a vehicle in Iraq then it is 2 miles from my own house. More accidents happen when people are within 2 miles of where they live then any other distance..do you think I would feel/be safer in Iraq then within 2 miles of my own house?

Comment

According to this list, cop doesn't make it in the top 10 when worst jobs considering numerous factors, including danger and stress. And this list of top 10 most stressful also doesn't include cop.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Heck Statistically it is safer for me to be driving a vehicle in Iraq then it is 2 miles from my own house. More accidents happen when people are within 2 miles of where they live then any other distance..do you think I would feel/be safer in Iraq then within 2 miles of my own house?
                      And the thing about that statistic... it doesn't really tell you where the most accidents occur... it just tells you where you spend the majority of your time driving.
                      Hell, with me, where I work is 3 miles away, my grocery store is two miles away, and a lot of the restaurants I frequent are within a mile... if it weren't for having to drive 40 miles to go to school I could look at the "most accidents are within 2 miles of home" and reply "no shit, that's because I'm never more than two miles away"
                      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I believe that list does not mention soldier. If it doesn't please go inform the soldiers in Iraq (etc) that the job they have is not dangerous. I will supply the popcorn

Comment

Soldier may be decidedly dangerous for those stationed in active war zones, but the vast bulk (and there is a lot of bulk, there) of the nation's armed forces, the job isn't that dangerous. It's the potential for danger that's very high, not the actual danger for most involved.

That doesn't make it any less dangerous for those who actually are deployed to the war zones; there's just not enough of them to outweigh the majority who are not.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X