Black Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday

Yeah, I went there. I started the Black Friday thread.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous and refuse to shop for anything unless we really need something essential (like toilet paper.) I do most of my Christmas Shopping online, anyway.

My husband and I play Pathfinder (a pen and paper RPG, like Dungeons & Dragons.) One of the guys we play with wants to run a 2-day campaign on (Black) Friday and Saturday this week, for anyone who doesn't have any big holiday plans going on. My husband and I are going to play and the guy who's GMing posted it on a message board where local gamers organize games and asked if anyone else was interested. He said he was planning on starting at noon both Friday and Saturday.

Someone responded and said they want to play but noon is too early and doesn't give a lot of time for Black Friday shopping, so the GM should push the starting time back to later in the afternoon. "It's the biggest shopping day of the year, you know."

Really? I mean, seriously? That is just disgusting. The guy who's running the game is most likely doing it for folks who DON'T want to be out in the crazy crowds, feeding the corporations' insane habit.

Personally, I feel bad for all the retail people who have to go in at midnight or whatever insane, stupid hours the big stores are opening now, so I don't want to encourage this behavior.

Unless you're one of the very few who get the super-whoopie door-busters, there aren't actually any particularly special deals to be had on Black Friday.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Anyone wanna place some bets on:

People trampled.
      Cat fights.
      Insane Sucky Customers.
      Destroyed items.

Thankfully, Black Friday isn't something done here in Australia. From what I have seen of Black Friday shopping, it is disgusting. All it does is show the insanity of people who care nothing more than their own greed.

Yes, greed, because if you are too much in a rush that you walk over/on some poor person on the floor, then it shows you only care for getting goods into your cart.

Comment

Originally posted by Iseeyouthere View Post

Thankfully, Black Friday isn't something done here in Australia. t.
        No, we have the post-Christmas sales for that. And literally people sliding under the roller doors as soon as they open.

Comment

playing pathfinder is a way better use of ANY two days, let alone two where it helps you avoid the crazies.
          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Where are you and can I join? The Pathfinder game on my forum ended abruptly 'bout two months ago. *sad face*
            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Whether Black Friday in the U.S. or Boxing Day in Canada (and elsewhere), the sentiment is the same.

The hilarious thing is that there is only a small, very small handful of Black Friday deals that really ARE that good.

That $200 TV? It's a shitty brand.
              That $150 laptop? It's a piece of crap.

And so forth. Now these rules don't always apply but they do apply often. I was browsing some Black Friday ads earlier today and I didn't find any amazing bargains that made me want to stand in line uber early.

The funny thing is, most of the deals just aren't earth shattering bargains.

For example, Target is selling a Casio Keyboard for $60. The same Keyboard retails for a usual price of $99 and can be found on Amazon for as low as $85. No real incentive there to go out early on Friday.

Speaking of Amazon, they really do offer some great online black friday deals (that don't involve going out anywhere) compared to other retailers.

Comment

agree with the OP
                I refuse to go out on black friday unless its emergency or as said, for needed items or medicine. i won't go out thursday either even though stores are open. One less customer to serve or deal with nice person or not for the employees is one less person.
                we have what we need for tomorrow and the rest of the week

i don't care how great the deals are, there is nothing I NEED that cannot be obtained later on. as cheesy as it sounds i am happier at home with family and care less about whats on the table as compared to who is. Family and friends are more important than some sale. Don't get me started on the horrible commercials that have been running all week either
                Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                Yeah we're so over, over
                Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Fuck Black Friday. I see no point in going through crowds, idiots, getting mauled and dealing with trying to find parking all for a one time a year sale. I can get a sale on something any day of the year and without so much fuss, either.
                  There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

I go just to see the train wreck.
                    "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

I am not a morning person, and I hate crowds. They can keep their shitty deals.
                      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I begruginly did Balck Friday ONCE in my life. MY Ex and her girlfriend DEMANDED to hit some of the local chain stores (like K-mart Wally World, etc.) back about 15 years ago (when they were still sane and opened at 6 or 7 am).

I got draged outta my nice warm water bed and had to ferry them around for a few hours.

the only other time I even came near a Black Friday sale was when I worked the lunch shift at my pizza place. got to delivery to all of those hard working stressed out workers who had been at work since 4 or 5am.

NEVER NEVER NEVER will there be ANYTHING that is on "sale" that is worth freezing my ass off for or risk being trampled for.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Check out this article on Cracked if you haven't already. It's an interesting article about Black Friday.
                          People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                          If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

I don't go shopping at all on Black Friday. But, because I live near several shopping areas...I have to deal with the increased level of traffic, and idiots who can't drive for shit.

Comment

What I don't understand is the people who have been camped out since Monday, waiting for this. Explain to me how the "deals" justify that?
                              Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X