Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't stand the ringing . . . was I sucky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't stand the ringing . . . was I sucky?

I started to post this in Sightings, but when I looked it over, I felt there was just too much Fratching potential and moved it over here.

Gah! I'm getting a bit frustrated, and am wondering if I am being sucky?

I'm up here at my Mom's for Thanksgiving, arrived early this evening. Ever since I got here, the phone has been ringing off the flipping hook.

Mom has Alzheimer's and is now in a memory care unit. My brother and I are her POA.

Most of the callers were charities calling to "thank" Mom for her recent donation and hit her up for another one. For most, I explain I'm her POA and tell them Mom is no longer making donations and put her on their do not call list. She was giving money to a LOT of charities (usually in the $25-30 range, but it adds up), and we knew that from looking over her bank statements from the past year.

As the evening has worn on, however, the calls have gotten to be incessant. I've had probably 10 calls from between 7pm EST and now (10:15 EST). The last two were in the past 30 minutes.

The first lady was from a charity, and when I complained that she was calling rather late, she got a bit snotty with me, "Well, I wish I was home cooking Thanksgiving dinner but here I am working on Thanksgiving Eve, well we all got to do what we got to do."

That irritated me. These calls are supposed to stop at 9PM. It was 9:50PM. I didn't get overtly nasty, but there was definately an edge in my voice when I told the lady I was Mom's POA and that she would no longer be donating to that charity.

Then her phone/Internet provider (a major national provider that rhymes with Horizen) calls and asks for Mom.

Me: This is Panacea, I'm her POA.
    Caller: Then you're authorized to make changes on the account?
    Me: *thinking it might be a billing issue, since Mom stopped paying her bills a couple of months ago* Yes. How can I help you?
    Caller: Well, ma'am just so you know for quality control purposes we record calls, may I record this call? *note: In Maryland you have to ask permission, or it's illegal to record a call*
    Me: Sure, I'm fine with that.

The caller then goes off into a standard sales pitch script about bundling phone, cell, Internet, and TV services. They've been trying to get one on Mom for quite awhile now; she complained frequently about sales calls when her neighborhood went FIOS and she refused to get the added services or change from her cable provider (Bombast . . . actually, Horizen would have been an improvement, but I digress).

So I interrupt him midstream:

Me: OK, let me stop you there so I can tell you two things. First of all, you're calling me after 10PM, and I'm not happy about that at all. Secondly, we're not interested in making any changes to our service at this time, so I'm going to end the conversation here. Good night *click*.

So, was I sucky? I'm beginning to see how elderly folks get sucked into scams. The calls get so non-stop, they tell them what they want to hear just to get them to go away and stop calling.

Which of course, is not what happens.
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

No you weren't sucky. You were actually pretty nice considering the circumstances. They were not supposed to call and quite frankly, I wouldn't take too kindly to someone trying to scam my mom out of more money either.

Comment

not sucky at all! they are calling past 9pm. for me past 7pm is aggravating.
      plus i know its a holiday but seriously...shouldn't have to be working on a holiday. i think corporate dummies think oh its thanksgiving, people will be more giving! yeah no
      I am glad your mom has you and your brother for POA don't lose patience yet!
      Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
      Yeah we're so over, over
      Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Have you looked into having the phone shut off? Seems like it would be less troublesome
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Have you looked into having the phone shut off? Seems like it would be less troublesome
          I looked for a switch for the ringer and couldn't find one

I'm not quite ready to turn the service off yet . . . it's how I'm getting my internet fix while I'm up here, and I'll be here for at least a week in December as well.

We'll probably turn the phone off completely in January once we get all the stuff moved out of the house.

And honestly, it's never been this bad before. I think it has to do with the holidays when people tend to give more (most of the calls have been charities).
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I don't think it was sucky. Yes, I know these people are 'just doing their job', but sometimes it gets out of hand. Years ago, I got a call from a Dell representative asking if I wanted to renew the warranty on my computer. I told him that I really was in no position to do that right now, since I was out of work and had been for several months. He STILL kept trying to sell me the damn thing! I hung up. That's just insensitive, IMO.
            A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

I think the lady saying, "Well I would love to not be working" was sucky. Seriously okay complain about having to work that's fine but complaining to the person your trying to get money from or any customer is just uncalled for.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by LadyBarbossa View Post
                I don't think it was sucky. Yes, I know these people are 'just doing their job', but sometimes it gets out of hand. Years ago, I got a call from a Dell representative asking if I wanted to renew the warranty on my computer. I told him that I really was in no position to do that right now, since I was out of work and had been for several months. He STILL kept trying to sell me the damn thing! I hung up. That's just insensitive, IMO.
                Now that is really sucky. Extended warranties are usually bad deals anyway.

That guy must have been trapped by the "3 No's" rule.

Comment

Working...
                X