No announcement yet.

Hospital aborts wrong baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....the former being an outright false statement, and the latter an incomprehensible one. True liberty is telling other people what to do/being told what to do? Or, alternately, true liberty is making certain you don't care *at all *about the outcome of *anything* that is someone else's decision to make, never mind how impossible that is for actual humans? Would you mind, please, *explaining* rather than merely restating in different words?

For a concrete, easier example: I think my neighbor ought not paint his house traffic cone orange with metallic gold trim. I think it would look hideous and be an eyesore to everyone in the neighborhood, and that even he would tire of it quickly. Plus, metallic paints don't do well in prolonged sunshine. I also am firmly against HOA's on principle: ultimately, it's his house, not mine, and what it looks like is his decision to make, not mine. So: where in this hypothetical example did I go wrong? Should I not have any opinion on what colors look nice on a house? Should I not care in the slightest whether I have to look at something eye-searingly horrible every time I walk out the door? Should I not care that his house is not my house, and that if I am free to make my decisions then he must be free to make his?
    Last edited by HYHYBT; 12-05-2011, 03:04 AM.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
      If you think someone should do X, why would you not want to enforce it? Not wanting to enforce it makes you a hypocrite.
      Ummm, I don't think people should smoke, I don't think anyone should vote for 'x' politician, I don't think people should wear their pants lower than their waist, I don't think people should have more than two kids, I don't think people should be rude or behave like idiots...

I also would be *very* much against any of those being made laws, so I'm a hypocrite because I believe in personal freedom? Just because I have opinions on the 'correct' way things should work does not mean I feel everyone should follow my rules, nor would I *EVER* want that far reaching of laws to even be proposed!
      Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
        If you think someone should do X, why would you not want to enforce it? Not wanting to enforce it makes you a hypocrite.
        Tell me, are you familiar with the quotation, "Everything not forbidden is compulsory?"
        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Or, alternately, true liberty is making certain you don't care *at all *about the outcome of *anything* that is someone else's decision to make, never mind how impossible that is for actual humans?
          That is Absolute Liberty, yes. A lot of people believe in partial liberty, which merely shows a lack of conviction towards liberty. They don't really want TRUE liberty, just the illusion thereof.

Should I not have any opinion on what colors look nice on a house?
          On any house but my own? No, I would not.

Should I not care in the slightest whether I have to look at something eye-searingly horrible every time I walk out the door?
          Nope. I certainly wouldn't be caring at all. It's not my concern.

Should I not care that his house is not my house, and that if I am free to make my decisions then he must be free to make his?
          I wouldn't consider it any of my business to even think that. It wouldn't even begin to cross my mind.

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
          Tell me, are you familiar with the quotation, "Everything not forbidden is compulsory?"
          I'm familiar with it and I consider the statement to be correct. I prefer "Everything that is not forbidden is absolutely correct and permitted."
          Last edited by Peppergirl; 12-06-2011, 07:31 AM. Reason: fixed multiple quote tag errors

Comment

You will surely understand, your claims actually to hold no such opinions are impossible to believe.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Oh, good lord. I guess he doesn't have a favourite color, or a hated food.

Comment

Working...
              X