Risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk

No, not the board game where you have hours of (insert word here) but the exposure of children (and adults) to risk.

Without exposing children to controlled levels of risk we will eventually end up with a society of people who have no concept of consequence to their actions.

Example.

Child always has their hand held crossing the road, even up to the age of 12-14, because they have relied on others to gauge their safety when they eventually cross the road on their own they have no concept of speed and inertia, hence increasing their risk of being run down.

I suppose you could also say I'm against wrapping kids in cotton wool all the time, let them bash their knees, let them fall from the climbing frame, but don't mollycoddle them into believing the world is a big bad place, because they won't cope when they reach adult life.
    The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

The entire point of parenting is to produce people who can fend for themselves out in the world. So yes, I definitely agree that allowing your child to take age-appropriate risks to learn from and grow with is part of that. Allowing them to fail now and again is another huge part of parenting, as well as giving them the tools to deal with that failure and to learn from it.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
      The entire point of parenting is to produce people who can fend for themselves out in the world. So yes, I definitely agree that allowing your child to take age-appropriate risks to learn from and grow with is part of that. Allowing them to fail now and again is another huge part of parenting, as well as giving them the tools to deal with that failure and to learn from it.
      See that's the problem though. That's NOT the point of reproduction. And unfortunately, in our diluted, dumbed down society, most people don't understand the distinction.

They've given in to their urge to reproduce. But in our MTV, microwave generation too many are too dumb to understand that there is more responsibility to it than just that.

Comment

Ah, I didn't SAY reproduction. I said PARENTING. There is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
          Ah, I didn't SAY reproduction. I said PARENTING. There is a difference.
          I didn't say you did.

There being a difference is the point.

Comment

Oh, ok. I misunderstood where you were coming from.

Comment

Exactly we live in a nerf world where people are more than willing to be lazy little cowards and cry babies and avoid any real risk or danger to themselves. Why we have so many nanny state laws and stupid warning labels on everything that could even come close to harming someone. Why we have the nutjobs and crazies who want to run someone else's life because they dont like seeing other people risking their life and want to stop them from enjoying it simply because they can.

*shrug* Hell if we let some of the morons kill themselves by grabbing the wrong end of a running chain saw or otherwise let little johnny moronic learn that a toaster is not a bath toy or the road is not a playground then maybe the world would be able to get its shit together better.

Protect kids yes. Shelter, coddle and otherwise nerf their world and you do nothing but raise sheep able to be controlled by anyone with power and unable to handle any real danger.

Comment

Working...
              X