Parents Fear School Trips After Verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents Fear School Trips After Verdict

A chaperone is sued when an 18 year old high school student drank alcohol ,fell off a hotel balcony and died in Maui. That chaperone has to pay nearly $700,000 to the parents and the student's estate.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...haperone.fear/

What is unfortunate is that the US is such a litigious society that anything you say or do you're in fear of being sued. In this case, I think the parents were in the wrong for suing the chaperone. Why? If the parents wanted to be really sure that their child is in such good hands, then why didn't they chaperone instead of somebody else. Another thing that would've helped...some common sense. The need to have liability insurance for chaperoning field trips is just plain ridiculous. Common sense would outweigh the need for that.
    Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

I read about that, but I am troubled about the questions the article does not answer. Did the chaperone know the girl was drinking? Did she ignore it, or did the kids successfully hide it from her? Where was the chaperone when the girl fell off the balcony? Where was the girl, in her room, or somewhere else in the hotel, maybe the chaperone didn't know she had left her room or something?

I mean, I can understand suing a chaperone for gross negligence. If the kids drink underage and die, and it can be proven the chaperones knew and blatantly ignored it or even encouraged it (say buying the liquor), I can see getting in trouble. But teens can be notoriously sneaky, especially away from home. It troubles me that nobody in the newsroom saw fit to try and answer any of these types of questions in the story.
    Last edited by ThePhoneGoddess; 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Who gave the kid alcohol in the first place? That's the real question. That person is the one who should be punished.

And why the hell isn't the girl who died being held responsible for her actions. For the love of God, she was 18 years old! Not a kid anymore who doesn't know any better.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhoneGoddess View Post
        I read about that, but I am troubled about the questions the article does not answer.

True, like you said. The article did not answer all the questions. That is what I find sad about the News industry now-a-days. They rush and try to make this person look bad, when in reality, they could be innocent as a 5 year old church girl

Comment

That is the most horrible crap I have ever heard.

Without knowing the details: ie. did the chaperone provide the person with liquor, did the chaperone KNOW it was being drunk, etc. there is no way to know if that chaperone should be held responsible.

Besides, the little shit was 18. She is legally an adult and should have been held responsible for her own actions to some degree. Why should the chaperone take all the blame? Especially if they DIDN'T provide the girl with liquor and HADN'T seen her drinking. What if it was the middle of the night and everyone else was sleeping? I mean, REALLY?

I feel a great deal of sympathy for the parents. But a lawsuit is not the answer. That money will not bring their daughter back.

IF the chaperone was being negligent, I can see some action being taken against them. But we just don't know the whole situation. I think it is ridiculous that schools will now have to make sure they have insurance so the parents won't be afraid to chaperone trips.

People are so irresponsible and sue happy.
          "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
          "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Working...
          X