Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Air Force dumped 274 bodies in a landfill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Air Force dumped 274 bodies in a landfill.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...fill?gt1=43001

Wow. Apparently, this has been going on for years.

An additional 1,762 remains, which could not be DNA tested because of damage from explosions, were gathered from the battlefield and dumped in a similar manner, the Air Force told the newspaper.

Honestly, if the family gave permission to not ever see the remains of the soldiers ever again, I can't really dredge up any sort of outrage. For those that didn't, I can see being upset that what was supposed to be done wasn't and that fact was then covered up.

Then again, I've always felt the usual funeral situation to be more than a little morbid and perhaps a bit disturbed. *shrug*

Originally posted by Salted Grump View Post
    Wow. Apparently, this has been going on for years.
    Had been. It's been stopped since 2008.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A large part of it is the dignity aspect. Even if I don't want to see the remains, there's something called 'dignity due to the dead' that is in woeful lack. As for ones that couldn't be identified, and thus dumped, well, isn't that what the tomb of unknowns is for?

Comment

Well.... no, disposing of the ashes of everyone unidentifiable is not what the Tomb is for.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

All bodies have been identified or at least parts have. There hasn't been any unknowns since Vietnam and even that unknown has been identified using DNA. What they're really talking about is parts of Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen that blown off the body and weren't identified until much later. The remains were cremated and then sent to a landfill providing the families didn't want the remains. Where the USAF messed up was having the ashes sent to a landfill. At the very least they should have been scattered at Arlington or other national cemetary.
          I didn't make it back from RVN with everything I arrived with. I don't know what happen with that tissue and I don't want to know.
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

From 2004 to 2008 someone was stupid and trying to "save" money.

In 2008 someone brought the policy to the attention of new command.

New command changed policy BACK to given the incinerated remains a burial at sea.

At least thats how I understand it.

Comment

Working...
            X