No announcement yet.

Eyes in the sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The police have had police airplanes and helicopters for a long time now. This is just an extension of that. They can keep these on station for longer that's about the only difference.

Comment

There isn't a 'real time' version of google earth out there...any images you're looking at were stored sometime in the past, and are pulled up as required.

The drones would be quieter and able to gather more information than anything else we're using atm...Which sounds like a good thing, overall, though I'm sure there's going to be more violation of privacy than before. Hopefully it'll be just cops enjoying the occasional free 'show', only time will tell.
      Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
        Unless it crashes into someone's house.
        Ok...? Not sure where you are going with this one. I guess you aren't cool with airplanes in the sky, helicopters, hot air balloons, etc. either.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Could even be commandeered for use as a weapon against US targets if, as is claimed, Iran has the capacity to take control of US military drones.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinecone View Post
            Could even be commandeered for use as a weapon against US targets if, as is claimed, Iran has the capacity to take control of US military drones.
            They're not going to be armed for domestic use. Which would leave clumsily trying to crash them into things. That said, taking anything Iran claims as serious is beyond folly. Iran claims stupid shit all the time. It's their primary export.

Never mind the logistics of even having the equipment and the range to hijack one over the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinecone View Post
              False claims most likely. I highly doubt Iran has the capabilities to hack one of our drones and take it over.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                They're not going to be armed for domestic use. Which would leave clumsily trying to crash them into things. That said, taking anything Iran claims as serious is beyond folly. Iran claims stupid shit all the time. It's their primary export.
                I'm with you on that. If the Iranians were to announce that the sun rises in the east, I'd double-check with a reliable source.

Comment

Not armed for domestic use...

I agree Iran likely doesn't have the ability to control US drones and is just taking advantage of a fortuitous crash to raise a doubt.

But I do expect those drones over the US to be armed at some point. Let people get used to them first and then it will seem a waste not to have them armed. Hard to justify deploying state of the art military weapons systems without making use of all their features.

Comment

The biggest issue I'd have is that these things could potentially crash into something, such as a person, house window or automobile, if the guy at the controls had a fit of some sort or if the thing got damaged. But I see that as an extremely rare chance.

Unless municipal police are willing to pay an arm and a leg per unit, these things will NOT be silent. Ever heard one of the hobby RC copters? Those things sound like a buzzsaw, and even a ways up into the air, you can hear 'em. Way, WAY up, the average street noise might cover it unless you're listening for it.

A fair few of those I'll hear argue against these, I imagine, will be the same people arguing against street cameras at intersections - not just "they're invading my privacy" but, specifically, "the government is keeping tabs on me!" This assumes that "the government" (note blanket term) has the monetary resources, time and manpower, not to mention wherewithal, to keep tabs on each and every one of its millions and millions of residents-- either that, or the person claiming the government is keeping tabs on them believes that they specifically are someone those guys have reason to keep tabs on (possibly an "I know too much, and THEY know it!!") thing... or they simply haven't really considered the logistics.

On that topic-- no, no, I'll make another thread about that.

The other danger I can see with these is a cross between the two issues above: what happens when Joe Blow the Conspiracy Lover sees a drone RC copter (which, he has no idea, is actually following a police chase), decides it must be comin' after him, "shows those guv'mint boys a thing or two" by taking a pot shot or three at it with his rifle... and THEN it zooms out of the sky and smashes through John Doe's windshield? Again, a remote - VERY remote - chance, but the only other real issue I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkle View Post
                      The biggest issue I'd have is that these things could potentially crash into something, such as a person, house window or automobile, if the guy at the controls had a fit of some sort or if the thing got damaged. But I see that as an extremely rare chance.
                      Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                      Ok...? Not sure where you are going with this one. I guess you aren't cool with airplanes in the sky, helicopters, hot air balloons, etc. either.
                      Never was originally answered by the person I said that too either.

Comment

Working...
                      X