• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write-ups for the stupidest things

At the request of the mods, it has been brought here:

http://consumerist.com/2011/12/shoul...the-rules.html

As the title says.

Here's my take on it: docking pay, HELL NO. Write-ups, for some of them HELL yes. The ones I do not get are:

"Personal items in the kitchen"-does this count things the employee legitimately needs, for example an asthma inhaler?

"Family/friends visiting work"-That does not fly with me either way. How hard is it to say "Sorry guys, I can't talk now, I'll talk when my shift's over". On the other hand, docking pay because your parents decided to buy from their local pizza store (which you just happen to work at) is a load of bullcrap.

"Not leaving the store for ANY reason while on the clock"-does this include delivery drivers? Also, what about the event of an emergency (like someone in the comments pointed out), does this mean the employee will have their pay docked because something caught fire? Another thing someone pointed out: taking out the rubbish.

As I said over there, I don't like it. I can already see managers making up bullshit violations to dock an employees pay and save the company money.

Comment

Meh...sounds kind of shitty.

With family and friends visiting the store...depending on the job. When I was a cashier I could carry on a light conversation with a friend all the while scanning their items and bagging their groceries. Gasp...the art of multitasking.

Comment

I understand the peeves listed, especially about cell phone usage (Oh how I hate thee), but this type of policy is abusive and I doubt the store can be trusted to be fair. If you have employees breaking the rules, you write them up, reduce their hours or fire them.

And technically, no food or drink in a KITCHEN means exactly that. So how are you going to make pizzas with no ingredients?

Comment

I can just see it now...they buy a personal pizza, and as soon as they hand over the cash, get fined for having it in the work area
          Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Clearly this is not a policy that can be abused in any way.

Comment

Most of the items are related to the preparation of food.

The "not taking orders properly" is the managers way of getting money back when he appeases a Sucky Customer.

The others are ways of getting money back if food costs unexpectedly eat into your profits.

Bull flipping shit. I'd be handing in my apron and looking for another job.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                "Personal items in the kitchen"-does this count things the employee legitimately needs, for example an asthma inhaler?
                it depends. this is a rule related to food safety, and generally speaking any personal item that can be stored on one's person (such as in a pocket) is fine. what's not allowed is storing personal items in cabinets, on counters, in coolers, etc. that are meant for the storage and preparation of food meant for sale to the public. in certain cases of medical necessity, exceptions can be made. for example, i used to have a lady working for me who was an insulin-dependent diabetic. we contacted the health department to determine the best and most food-safe way to store her insulin while she was working, and they told us we could store it in our walk-in cooler provided we installed a small shelf away from all food and only her insulin was allowed to be stored there.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                  Most of the items are related to the preparation of food.

The "not taking orders properly" is the managers way of getting money back when he appeases a Sucky Customer.

The others are ways of getting money back if food costs unexpectedly eat into your profits.

Bull flipping shit. I'd be handing in my apron and looking for another job.
                  1. Ive never worked in fast food of any sort, but I can imagine people making up bs left and right to try to get free stuff. So Unless all calls and transactions are recorded and then reviewed by both manager and employee before any pay is docked I can guarantee this will be abused.

2. Like the owners ordering to much food and it goes bad? Or taking orders fomr people that have stiffed them in the past.

3. True that.

Comment

Since I'm guessing it's not a two way street, I would say hell no. I agree with you people with so many people abusing the generosity of the store, it is the workers that will get shafted by sucky customers.

Comment

as was brought up in a another post there:

Jet Pizzas corp responce

2 things:

first this "list of fines" is NOT santioned by Corp (must be a franchise operation).
                      second too many "fines" and the employee's wage is dropped below minimum wage which is illegal.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post

first this "list of fines" is NOT santioned by Corp (must be a franchise operation).
                        second too many "fines" and the employee's wage is dropped below minimum wage which is illegal.
                        I would suspect that they won't be a franchise anymore

ETA: Someone in the comments pointed out "Yeah, like the manager is going to stand up and admit it".
                        Last edited by fireheart17; 12-15-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

That's a dick move to be honest. I can understand a write up or reprimanding for certain offenses and depending on the severity of it but to dock somebody's pay? That's bullshit.
                          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

i've been at C-Store for ten years, but I'd have damn well quit a long time ago if this sort of policy were in effect. No way in HELL can this be legal, and eve if it is, it's bullshit plain and simple. I'll bet they're wondering why their staff is leaving and they can't find any new ones to replace them, too!

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                              1. Ive never worked in fast food of any sort, but I can imagine people making up bs left and right to try to get free stuff. So Unless all calls and transactions are recorded and then reviewed by both manager and employee before any pay is docked I can guarantee this will be abused.

2. Like the owners ordering to much food and it goes bad? Or taking orders fomr people that have stiffed them in the past.
                              I've worked in fast food (Roy Rogers and a pizza delivery chain). At Roy's, we had a dick manager who wouldn't let the employees eat the left over food. We even had to pay for our sodas (and soda is cheap; it's the cups that are expensive). But he frequently helped himself to sandwiches and drinks whenever he got hungry.

At the pizza place we often did food exchanges with McD's when things were slow. We'd swap for equal the value in food. They'd tell us what they wanted on the pizza, and we'd order the combo meals (usually sans the drinks). We also would eat pizza's that didn't cook right, or that the carry out customer never came in to pick up, or that were rejected by a sucky customer because we didn't deliver in 20 minutes or less and they wanted a fresh one for free. For awhile there, I saved a considerable amount in food costs because of the free eats.

Then the owner cracked down and put a stop to all of that. Fair enough; we were being paid a wage to work, not to eat the inventory. But we ended up tossing a shitload of food after that; bad pies didn't stop happening because of a proclamation.

I imagine whoever made up that fine list figured his employees wouldn't dare complain in this economy when jobs are harder to come by. The other downside to a bad economy is employers feel freer to abuse their workers figuring they won't risk losing their jobs over a complaint.

Hasn't stopped me yet from walking from a jerk boss.
                              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X