Girls Don't Need Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls Don't Need Guns

This ridiculous bassackwards logic was applied to me earlier when it was discovered I'd been looking at guns at the sporting goods store.

Mind you, the person who chastized me for it was a guy, who has their own personal supply for the damn zombie apocalypse, and they don't even hunt or target practice with them.

Apparently, I don't "need" a gun. And when I tried to explain why I want one and feel I need one, at the very least for the target practice and experience and that it's my constitutional right as a non-criminal mentally healthy person to have one, all I got for an answer was "Mmmmkay."

No, I don't live in a ghetto and I'm not some inbreed who likes to shoot squirrels at random. I want to take safety courses required for conceal/carry and I want to spend time with my brother learning to be a good shot, and I hope to God to never ever need the gun for reasons other than target practice. But no, I don't "need" a gun. Even though the person who said I didn't need one, has many of their own.

You don't live in the ghetto? Everyone knows that the only dangerous places are ghettos! No one ever gets attacked in the nice parts of cities or suburbs or rural areas!

Do I feel most people need guns? Definitely not.
    Do I feel people should be able to defend themselves with one if necessary? Yes.
    Do I feel people should be able to protect themselves from a tyrannical government? Yes.

Not sure where being a man or woman comes into any of those questions.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Because I guess some people think they can do as they want or have whatever they want, but others cannot, and can't provide valid reasons why, just snarky remarks to your answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Not sure where being a man or woman comes into any of those questions.
        ^ That right there. Whilst I may not precisely agree on the exact particularities, I fail to see what gender has to do with the right to defend oneself.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
          Because I guess some people think they can do as they want or have whatever they want, but others cannot, and can't provide valid reasons why, just snarky remarks to your answers.
          The thing that gets me is shouldn't the sexist viewpoint be that you do need a gun because you're a girl and thus too feeble to physically defend yourself? You should have thanked him and told him while its nice of him to realise you could kick his ass in a fight, you'd still perfer not to have too. ;p

Comment

You flatter, GK.

Perhaps this person is worried because their mother is an avid sportswoman and a better shot than he is.

Comment

Perhaps this person is worried because their mother is an avid sportswoman and a better shot than he is.
              Guns are the ultimate redneck male phallic symbol. So that would mean admitting his mom handles a dick better than he does. Thus, I think we may have discovered the Freudian source of his problem. >.>

Comment

This ridiculous bassackwards logic was applied to me earlier when it was discovered I'd been looking at guns at the sporting goods store.

" a gun. Even though the person who said I didn't need one, has many of their own.
                Sounds like someone with issues. You don't have to justify your desire for a gun to anyone. I'm happy to hear that you want to take safety courses to learn how to handle your future purchase safely. That's something anyone who owns a gun should do, and should be required by law to do IMHO.

Guns can be a lot of fun. I have 2 rifles and a shotgun, as I've mentioned before, and I've gotten hours of pleasure from them in target shooting. I've used them to scare off would be burglars, too.

Do I nneeeeeddd them? Possibly not. I have an alarm system in my house, and I've learned some basic self defense.

But they are fun.

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                The thing that gets me is shouldn't the sexist viewpoint be that you do need a gun because you're a girl and thus too feeble to physically defend yourself? You should have thanked him and told him while its nice of him to realise you could kick his ass in a fight, you'd still perfer not to have too. ;p
                Ooops. Computer screen full of donut.

Guns are the ultimate redneck male phallic symbol. So that would mean admitting his mom handles a dick better than he does. Thus, I think we may have discovered the Freudian source of his problem. >.>
                Damn! Twice in one thread. What a way to wake up on a Sunday. Thanks, GK
                Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Sounds like he just doesn't want one aimed at his misogynist ass.

Comment

Guns are the ultimate redneck male phallic symbol.
                    I thought the ultimate redneck male phallic symbol was a 1979 Camaro up on blocks in their front yard?

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                      I thought the ultimate redneck male phallic symbol was a 1979 Camaro up on blocks in their front yard?
                      No, thats the ultimate redneck male Status symbol. It proclaims one a "Alpha" redneck.

Comment

Clearly this man is threatened by an empowered female.

Hes just scared because he knows you will have better aim than him.

Comment

Seriously the first thing that came to mind after reading the thread's title:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uIVkhtU1Ls#t=8m57s
                          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

There are guys out there who get limp and emasculated at the thought of a woman being his equal. These people have a world view that women are either helpless victims or they are threatening bitches. They also think women with guns (or any other comparable thing) are just trying to "be men...how pathetic."

These men are to be (at best) pitied.

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
                              No, thats the ultimate redneck male Status symbol. It proclaims one a "Alpha" redneck.
                              The ultimate bogan symbol (Australian version of a redneck) is a Holden Commodore, not necessarily up on blocks though.

Comment

Working...
                              X