Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell kids the truth about Santa = get in trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, if the teacher wanted to go that route (because at no point does a discussion about the North Pole at that age does not bring up a question about Santa Claus) she could have went into the full truth of it, like the real story of Saint Nicholas and the Solstice traditions. Yes, it means the kids won't believe in the jolly fat man in the red suit anymore, but it doesn't stop a belief in the celebration of Christmas and is a heck of a lot better than flat out saying Santa doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
      Not sure about that. It's a lose-lose situation for the teacher.

Remember this is someone who isn't as emotionally or intellectually advanced advanced as those who are also in the class. Children being children will likely tell them anyway (mainstream class), and the usual vector for not believing in santa comes from ones peers. That means the teacher loses the trust of the teen in question.

Special needs requirements are usually foods to avoid, actions that are triggers, incontinent or not - not does this child believe in santa or not and do the parents want them still to do so.

Answer yes and the other children will do the damage. Answer no and the teacher has no idea what they've been told at home. You canot get away with saying that the teacher would have to discuss it with the parents when asked in the classroom. That would be taken as a 'no'.

I think the teacher was in a shitty position no matter what he or she did.

I'm assuming the reason for saying so was that they were asked.

Rapscallion
      You are right.

I assumed, due to the original article that it was a deliberate action. If the teacher was had the situation thrust upon them(i.e.: someone asking) then it is a lose-lose situation.

I also did not consider other kids in the same age bracket, because my experience with special needs kids/teen were in special classes, not wwith them in the middle of non-special needs kids

Comment

To be fair, it does depend on the circumstances. I think we could do with a bit more background to the instance.

If it was a lesson aimed at dealing with christmas and the mythology, then consideration for the learning disabled should have been made. If it's just a question from the pupil in a class, the teacher's stuffed.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

From what I understand from the reports, the teacher was not asked about the reality of Santa, she merely decried his falseness to the students when they told her that they knew where the North Pole was because that's where his workshop is.

She took an opportunity to use the children's enthusiasm for something to push greater learning and pissed on it.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
            I'm not sure what grade you teach. In a middle school or high school class, I'm sure that's appropriate.

But this instance is 2nd graders. They get a very rudimentary exposure to history and civics in 2nd grade. That kind of "truth" is probably too early for them.
            I'm secondary, yes. But the point still stands. We're discussing a belief. Yes, 2nd graders are too young to be discussing comparative theology. But they're young enough for Santa.

The teacher was doing a lesson on the the geography of the North Pole. With the season we're in, it's natural to assume that children that young would probably bring up Santa. Which means you either a) ignore the topic or b) incorporate it. If b is chosen, then you do so while maintaining factual information like where would it be best for Santa to live if he lives here or have them do geography questions based around Santa's journey. It's still the same premise, just brought down to a different level. The underlying point is that you treat the belief respectfully.
            I has a blog!

Comment

To give background on my related question. My nephew is now 18 years old with the mental capacity of a 5 year old. For most of his school day he is in classes with other teens with his mental range. The only exceptions are for Gym, Health, Music or Art classes.

He was in his art class and the project was to make a Christmas Card for his parents. He drew a Santa on the front of the card. After class, the teacher took him aside and asked him why he drew a Santa. He told her that Santa was going to come and bring him presents. She told him that there was no such thing as Santa. My Sister went to the school today. I do not know what has happened.

Comment

That teacher needs a talking to. It was art class and you were to make Christmas cards? Why wouldn't you draw Santa? He's part of the Christmas motif!

To top it off, the teacher would know his IEP and all that goes with it. She'd know his mental level. That's just wrong.
                I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCallingCardRep View Post
                  To give background on my related question. My nephew is now 18 years old with the mental capacity of a 5 year old. For most of his school day he is in classes with other teens with his mental range. The only exceptions are for Gym, Health, Music or Art classes.

He was in his art class and the project was to make a Christmas Card for his parents. He drew a Santa on the front of the card. After class, the teacher took him aside and asked him why he drew a Santa. He told her that Santa was going to come and bring him presents. She told him that there was no such thing as Santa. My Sister went to the school today. I do not know what has happened.
                  Yeah, in that situation I would most certainly call for disciplinary action.

Maybe nothing severe, but the teacher was callous and insensitive, and needs to be reprimanded.

Comment

If you want to claim magic as an adult, you need to provide proof.
                    Millions of people claim God, without proof. Are they all as dim as children?

I don't claim magic definitively exists. I claim there is a possibility it exists and hasn't been thoroughly investigated yet.

I am an avid reader of The Fortean Times, why do you ask?

To close yourself off to the possibilities of the world- whether it is ghosts, magic, sea monsters, whatever- is sadly narrow-minded in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
                      To close yourself off to the possibilities of the world- whether it is ghosts, magic, sea monsters, whatever- is sadly narrow-minded in my opinion.
                      And non-scientific to mistake a lack of evidence as an evidence of lack.

But that's really a discussion for another thread; we've got yet another one going right now in the appropriate forum.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

But that's really a discussion for another thread; we've got yet another one going right now in the appropriate forum.
                        Yes, feel free to join us in one of the Religion forum threads. Doesn't matter which, they all turn out the same.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
                        X