No announcement yet.

Is "Santa Claus" lying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think telling little kids tales about Santa is harmful lying.

Comment

I found out the tooth fairy was bunk when I wasn't getting as much per tooth as some of my friends. So I had to ask why my teeth were only worth a dollar, while I had friends whose teeth were worth up to $20.

Comment

I believed in Santa Claus as a kid and I passed that belief onto my daughter.

Until this year I called her every year as Santa Claus and I have always told her that Santa is the spirit of loving others, of generosity and of giving of yourself.

This year she found out he doesn't go flying around for every kid. She found out I am Santa Claus and that her friends' parents are Santa Claus.

That he is still the spirit of giving.

She didn't get upset with me never accused me of lying and didn't feel betrayed. It's how you present it. Santa Claus is a way to teach kids about being a better person.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I don't recall feeling betrayed or upset when I found out Santa Claus was not real.

If anything, I was disappointed because I enjoyed the story and the rush for the fire place on Christmas morning.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
            Kind of like stopping believing in wrestling actually.
            Pet peeve of mine - saying that WWF/WWE wrestling is "fixed" is like saying that Star Wars is "fixed" - after all, every time I watch it, Luke blows up the Death Star on his second attempt, so it must be "fixed". WWF/WWE is not a sport, it's live theater conducted on a set that resembles a sporting arena. Like virtually all live theater, it's got a script. No, I'm not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
              Like virtually all live theater, it's got a script. No, I'm not a fan.
              The difference being Star Wars was always marketed as being fiction but when I was a kid the WWF was marketed as being real wrestling.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Well, wrestling blurs the lines a bit. They are actors, and the events are loosely scripted. Fights are somewhat choreographed and they know how to fall, take a punch, position the opponent so as to minimize harm. The storylines are obviously, hilariously fake. I mean, if you're a grown adult and you think that the Undertaker and Kane are actually brothers, then you have a problem. If you genuinely believe that Mick Foley is a schizophrenic with three distinct personalities, then you have a problem.

Beyond that, it's more like improv than anything else. There's a loose structure...something like, "Wrestler A talks smack. Wrestler B interrupts. Fight ensues. When ref signals, Wrestler B performs signature move and Wrestler A taps out." Much of the middle is left to the performers, and that's where things get terrifyingly, tragically real sometimes.

Comment

I was personally devastated when I found out Santa wasn't real. I think it might have had something to do with the fact that my older sister flat-out told me the truth when I was still very little, so I wasn't given a chance to prepare myself. Then to hear my parents admit that they'd lied to me all that time? Yeah, I was very disappointed and hurt.

Comment

For my brother and me it was a sort of graduation from little little kid to big little kid to figure out/learn that Santa wasn't literally real.

It's something akin to sending the newbie on a snipe hunt, or out for prop wash, or a left-handed tool...

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                      WWF/WWE is not a sport
                      I strongly disagree.

There are numerous scripted sporting events, including (i.e.: olympic ginastic, ice skating and so-on) Wrestling requires a level of peak physical abillities. It is not only a sport it is an extremely challenging one.

I agree, there is a scenic component, and the non-fight segments are pure theater. But thefight themselves are also an sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
                        There are numerous scripted sporting events, including (i.e.: olympic ginastic, ice skating and so-on) Wrestling requires a level of peak physical abillities. It is not only a sport it is an extremely challenging one.
                        Here's the difference between wresting (the TV kind) and actual sports: the results are scripted. It's acting vs. sports. Sports are a competition. TV wrestling is nothing of the sort. They are actors acting out a script and if the script says you lose, you lose. This doesn't happen in real sports.
                        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                        X