Legality of intersection cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    If you can prove that the light in question does not stay yellow for long enough for someone going the speed limit to safely come to a complete stop prior to the light turning red, then do so and get it fixed.

If you just thought the light would stay yellow longer even though you could have stopped, then suck it up and stop doing that.

^-.-^
    You seem to have concocted the notion that I've gotten such a ticket. I have not... but I *have,* on occasion, had a light turn red before I got through the intersection when stopping, while *possible* had I known it was that short, would have required really slamming on the brakes the instant it turned yellow. Which, of course, would have been unsafe, especially had anyone been behind me; that's why the yellow exists in the first place, to prevent that. Thankfully there wasn't a camera, nobody stopped me, and they aren't intersections I've had reason to use regularly; I don't even remember for certain which they were.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Unless the law is radically different where you are, the light turning red before you "get through" is irrelevant. It's only what color it is when you enter that matters.

Also, I made no assumption that such a ticket had been issued; I just stated that there was a remedy and any complaints about such would not have merit.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

See for me I see the "They are just out to get me" Mentality all the time.

"It's not my fault I broke the law it's the cops fault for busting me for it what gives him the right to do that'
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post

I find more controversy regarding red light cameras comes from the following:
          - Using law enforcement as a way to raise revenue.
          - People being mistakenly cited as having run a light when they were making a turn.
          - Causing people to speed more as they try to beat the yellow to avoid a ticket.
          - People slamming on their brakes suddenly to make sure they stop before the red and avoid a ticket.
          I don't know how much money goes to the Government in the US, but in the UK the amount of profit that is raised in the UK from safety cameras is less than the income tax of Simon Cowell.

Issues 2 & 3 can be solved with correct driving technique, namely good observation and planning.
          The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

Comment

Originally posted by crazylegs View Post
            Issues 2 & 3 can be solved with correct driving technique, namely good observation and planning.
            As far as issue 2, I think he was talking about making a legal right turn at a red light. In the U.S., if you come to a red light, you don't have to wait for it to turn green if you're making a right turn, unless there's a sign that says otherwise (i.e. "No turn on red.") Basically it's treated the same as a stop sign -- you come to a complete stop, and then you can go as soon as it's clear. Some people seem to forget the part about coming to a complete stop, or yielding to those who have the right of way, but that's another rant.
            --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
              As far as issue 2, I think he was talking about making a legal right turn at a red light. .
              Apologies - I meant 3 & 4.
              The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

Comment

Working...
              X