Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take the "cross" off of Hot Cross Buns

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/n...-1226237414167

Short version: Catholic Priest wants the cross taken off of the Hot Cross Buns, because of the fact that they are traditionally eaten on Good friday and they are being sold all year around (due to customer demand)

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that this Priest needs something of actual important to worry about.

Comment

What the...?

Did he just wake up one morning and go "Yep. This is what I'll screw with today."

Let me know when he starts preaching against the selling and consumtion of pork.

Comment

Some one is after a promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          My thoughts are that this Priest needs something of actual important to worry about.
          Agreed. If he doesn't like them, no one's forcing him to buy them.

I despise control freaks like him.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

But then they wouldn't *be* hot cross buns, would they? I mean, unless you ticked them off.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Easter Eggs I see a short term demand for
              Kinder Eggs I see all year round, yet iir Cadburys cream eggs and or the mini eggs are seasonal too, f easter, some people like eating egg shaped chocolate whenever (not me I remember taking a dislike to cream eggs in the 80's when I'm sure they were yearly).

I'ts just a bun that happens to have a white cross on it (and called hot cross bun) yes a cross is a religious symbol, but it would still taste as good if it was a hot swastica bun or hot star of david bun or hot titty bun.

Fruits used to be seasonal, but with tinkering and biodomes/fancy greenhouses, you can grow tropical fruits in the artic all year round, when I was a kid I really loved water melons and asked why we only got them when we did, "They are not available the rest of the year" or something like that I was told, yes I would loved water melon any time, but as it was not ripe it was not to be.

Again as a child, my mum used to make pancakes whenever she fancied them, but NEVER on shrove tuesday aka pancake day (or dont forget the pancakes on jif lemon day*)

*not to be confused with the jif cleaning brand that renamed themselves Cif, probably due to one too many trips to A&E due to the wrong jif on pancakes.

Comment

Actually, the mini eggs are available Year Round now. There was a big advertising campaign last year promoting that; and they've been putting out "Christmas Mini Eggs" for years before that so they could start putting the mini eggs out in Septemberish.

As for the OP, that priest has too much time on his hand. I like Hot Cross Buns, and frankly I don't give a damn about what they signify any more. Food is food; if it is important than the time/place it is eaten should be a factor in how it is considered too. (Look at the Croissant Roles advertising Pillsbury has been doing lately; saying "These are the croissant roles you enjoy over the holidays; these are the ones you enjoy every day")

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post

I agree.

This man has way too much free time on his hands.

How big is this priest's church?

How many parishioners do they have?

Are there any poor or homeless people in the area he could be collecting food or clothing donations for?

Doesn't he have confessions to listen to, or people with problems and in need of advice?

(Then again, I'm not sure he's somebody I would want to take advice from. He seems to be a little skewed in the head.)

Honestly, how little work does he have to do that he can afford to spend time on something like this?
                  "Well, the good news is that no matter who wins, you all lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                    it would still taste as good if it was a ...hot titty bun.
                    BWAHAHAHA!!!

I'm guessing that's true.
                    Raps?
                    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I was wondering about the Cadbury eggs; there was a huge box of them in the Christmas candy at Walmart the other day, and up to that point I'd never seen them except around Easter.

(Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately looked at another way, the chocolate oranges appear to be Christmas-only. INFINITELY better than Creme Eggs.)
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Well Tesco's have started to creap their easter displays in here in the UK too

Comment

Down here they have already put out the Hot Cross Buns in fruit, fruitless and choc-chip (a bakery chain have also started to put out Mocha Hot Cross Buns-for those in Canada, the chain is called Cobs Bread, for those in Ausland and New Zealand, the chain is Bakers Delight).

One of the supermarkets has also started to put out the miniature packets of Easter Eggs, but that's all as far as Easter displays go. Soon places will be putting out the Australia Day stuff as well.

I think the priest is just trying to gain some notoriety, given that nobody has had an issue with Hot Cross buns until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                            BWAHAHAHA!!!

I'm guessing that's true.
                            Raps?
                            I'm dieting. Not sure I should experiment due to potential adverse effects on my waistline.

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm mad that my co-opted religious symbol is so popular more people want more of it?

What? >.>

Comment

Working...
                              X