Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racy photo banned from yearbook

Link

A student opted to have her photo taken wearing a shawl for a top. The yearbook will not print the photo due to it being "unprofessional". IMO, the photo is tasteful but does violate most school dress codes. Should the school enforce dress codes on senior photos?

I think that depends on the intended nature of the photos, and of the dress code. And whether the person was told it was inappropriate before or after it was too late to have the photo redone.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's absolutely inappropriate. The fact that they even offered to publish the photo in her senior ad is pretty generous. Honestly, I'd like to have a word or two with the photographer, particularly if she was 17 when they were taken.

Comment

As a professional photographer, I can tell you - nothing in that photo was illegal, and I would be totally comfortable taking that picture even if she was 17 at the time, as there is nothing exposed in a photo like that. If I were in the school faculty, I would absolutely deny that photo as being published in a yearbook or any school associated material, but I have no problems taking that pictures especially if I'm being paid for it.

Comment

The school has a right to enforce the dress code within their own publication. I'm just questioning if she really wants to be "that girl".

Because if they've been willing to allow students to take free shots of themselves for senior pictures as long as they're, you know, appropriate, and she wins her little protest, they're probably going to go to standard shirt and dress pictures for their seniors just to prevent such a turn of events.
          I has a blog!

Comment

Ehh...I'd be leery of letting this one in a yearbook as well. Nothing illegal about it per se, but its definitely sexually suggestive and shouldn't be in a yearbook. But of course, that's something they need to enforce across the board. At my school, the rule for girls was basically "no revealing tops, unless you have big titties".

Comment

Not illegal, but effectively it's very much a case of 'look how much skin I can show off to attract the mate of my dreams." Not a great competition to be in, if you can see it from outside.

Raspcallion
              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Oh, please.

Like Raps said, probably not illegal but completely tasteless unless she's competing in some sort of contest. Very inappropriate for any type of yearbook photo.

I think the first line of the article summed it up best:

Is dressing like a pole dancer protected under the human rights code?
                Articles like this make me glad I didn't have daughters. I'd have kicked her ass. I'd lay money that mommy probably approves and even paid for it, though.
                Last edited by Peppergirl; 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with that photo whatsoever.

Maybe because living in a tropical country, that level of skin-showing is extremely common(and healthy).

However if the school set clear guidelines that this photo does not respec, then they shouldn´t allow it to be published.

Comment

as already said, not illegal. but having read some of the article
                    the teen in question is worried that the school is stopping her freedom of expression? really? she isn't worried that she will be seen as THAT girl the moment that picture is published? Granted it won't be seen as fast as online but it will be seen.
                    Yeah sure go ahead. be THAT girl

however in the school's defense they have the right to enforce the dress code and if she wasn't going to follow it then she should not have agreed to said dress code. From what I get people are more worried about oh no they won't let me post this photo they're not being fair! Instead of hey wait a minute, this may not be a good idea, and respect needed or not the rules of dress are there for a reason
                    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                    Yeah we're so over, over
                    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Ok maybe I am jaded or just being a 'guy' or whatever..but I see nothing racy or wrong with the picture. *shrugs* However, that being said..a school should have the right to refuse to publish a photo.

Comment

Short skirt, topless, with a scarf covering her breasts, posed provocatively.

To put it another way, if it could pass for a cover of Maxim, it shouldn't be in a high school yearbook.

Comment

Get her education out of the way before she gets the chance to decide to be a glamour model, I reckon.

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

It's the school's publication and it represents them. If anything it's not damaging her presentation because she can go elsewhere to publish the photo if anything she's trying to limit the school's freedom of expression.

Comment

Frankly if she's that worried about the school "stifling her freedom of expression", she should buy a web domain and sell that shit legit along with every other smut peddler on the internet.

She's obviously a pretty girl, but has gone to great effort to play up her barely legal teenybopper appeal... seriously, in this "portrait" she's only pigtails and a set of knee socks away from making the front page of "My First Fuck Tape", or some such site. (Is that even a site? I'm not googling it to find out, LOL)

Honestly, the administration is doing her a favor- by blocking the photo from print, they're also blocking god knows how many of her classmates from drawing dicks and other unspeakable things on her face. (And why the FUCK hasn't that occurred to her dumbass parents?!?)
                              Last edited by JuniorMintz; 01-08-2012, 04:28 AM. Reason: Edited to reduce unnecessary babbling. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X