No announcement yet.

No transplant for little girl with mental retardation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For blood donation, there are all sorts of disqualifications. Is there a similar list for organ donors? I haven't found one, though I admit I haven't been looking very long.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

FDA controls the rules. So...probably. If you've got any STDs or blood carried pathogens (Hep B and stuff), I'm sure you're out.
      I has a blog!

Comment

I was thinking more about the cases where you don't have anything wrong with you, but are still barred from donating blood. Having had gay sex, spending time in a foreign country, that sort of thing.

Actual presence of disease is, of course, a perfectly rational reason not to accept a donation.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

While I agree with the gay sex one (although technically they ask about any unprotected sex period too...), the foreign country thing does make sense. I asked once. Reason is that if you get the human form of mad cow which was spreading during the time periods they ask about, you may or may not actually develop the disease for years. But you could still transmit it by giving blood or such. So since they can't test for it...they just block you.
          I has a blog!

Comment

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that none of them were reasonable, and I certainly didn't want to derail the thread.

Comment

My fault, misread your post.
              I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
              X