No announcement yet.

"The Grey"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that wolves can be trained, but not made into pets; most animals with a measure of intelligence can be trained. Cheetahs are wild animals too, but they've been trained for hundreds of years.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by draggar View Post
      Yes, things like this have never been addressed before.

http://www.goodnewsforpets.com/Articles.asp?ID=824

Nope, never.
      Since a majority of that article had nothing to do with the points I made, I'm assuming you wanted to point me toward this quote:

On the talk show circuit promoting the movie, Sykes said, “The humane people there and the animal trainers said, ‘Now, don’t worry, this wild animal will be just fine. Just don’t look at the animal.’ I just kept looking away. I wasn’t going to have some animal say to me, ‘Are you looking at me?”

A couple things:

1. Was the animal on some kind of leash? How were the trainers controlling it? What safety precautions were put in place?

They sure as shit didn't just put a wild animal in front of an actor and simply say, "By the way, don't look at it." The animal could tear out the actor's throat in seconds.

2. The above quote mentions that there were trainers present. Well, you said in your first post that The Grey didn't have any trainers on set. If The Grey didn't have trainers on set, then the article you linked to HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SITUATION. It doesn't address anything I said - it's mentioning how another movie used animal trainers and handlers during scenes in a movie.

Wild animals without trainers =/= Wild animals with trainers.

I still say the idea that the crew would put their lives in danger by gallivanting with wild wolves (and no safety precautions - since The Grey didn't explicitly list them, they must not have existed) is idiotic.

Originally posted by draggar View Post
      As for if it was diseased - how much "diseased" meat is sitting on the grocery store shelf? How much "diseased" meat to hunters eat from their kills? How much "diseased" meat is fed to animals?
      I don't know, how much diseased meat is sitting on the grocery store shelf? I would assume the answer is "not much, if any at all." Cause there are these things called 'safety precautions' and 'food laws' that companies have to abide by in the US. If they don't, they can suffer heavy fines or even jail time, if the infraction is serious enough.

I would also hope that hunters would realize that it's dangerous to kill and eat anything you see in the woods, and would therefore take precautions. (Here's a list of them, in case you were curious.) I wouldn't be surprised if there were hunters out there who ate bad meat and became sick from it.

The point is, you're taking a gamble if you eat wild game, so you have to do so with extreme caution.

As for how much diseased meat is fed to animals, I have no idea. I know that there are cattle farmers somewhere in the world who feed infected cow meat to their cattle (and thus another Mad Cow epidemic is born), but I'm hoping that practice isn't prevalent.
      Last edited by Seifer; 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
        Who wants to watch "Cannibal Holocaust?" =D
        Who hsan't?!

Comment

I hadn't heard of this movie until I saw this post last week, so I was surprised to see an interview with Liam Neeson over the weekend where he was promoting it, and then a preview at the movies a day later.

In all honesty, I couldn't see Liam participating in a movie that would do something like this. I can see him eating meat someone had in their freezer, but if there was any kind of actual animal cruelty on set, I don't think he'd stick around.

No I don't know him, but I do know he has a long successful career and reputation to protect, why would he risk the horrible publicity that would come from something like this? He certainly doesn't need the money, and he's not just starting out and needs to take whatever roles he can get.

In the interview, he said that there were some trained wolves for the shots of the wolves running, but they used animatronics and CGI for the shots up close.

As for IMDB not listing trainers etc, IMDB can barely keep their actor credits straight, let alone worry about people as low on the chain as the trainers.
          You're Perfect Yes It's True.. But Without Me You're Only You!

Comment

There were trainers on set any time there were animals anywhere NEAR the actors, but any close up scenes were animatronics with a little CGI overlay.
            Also, a lot of movies use wolf half breeds since full blooded wolves tend to get...cranky...when some two leg tries to tell THEM what to do. Is messy.

Comment

and though I haven't seen the movie, I did take the time to read "the movie spoiler's synopsis" and it does kind of prove to not judge based on the hype, (the scene in the trailer of Liam neeson breaking bottles to fight a wolf hand to hand, is the final scene of the movie)two wolves are killed, the rest are simply defending their den,(7 survivors of the crash and only three die from the wolves defending their territory, the rest are killed by injury or the elements) and it's explained early on that's why they're attacking, NOT because OMG WOLVES ARE EVIL! And Liam neeson's character is just trying to get out of the den area, not slaughter wolves by the hundreds.

Ottway is the first to awaken and finds the remains of Hernandez strewn across the camp. This makes matters worse because the wolves killed Hernandez, but didn't eat any of him; this was a territorial kill.

They listen as dozens of wolves surround them, but don't attack. A loud shriek of pain and growling erupts from one direction. Ottway recognizes the sound of the Alpha wolf being challenged by another male, and says the Alpha won.

Ottway tells them that this is the Omega -- the banished wolf who attempted to dethrone the Alpha, and lost. He attacked Diaz out of desperation of social acceptance.
              full synopsis can be found here
              Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 02-19-2012, 04:30 PM.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
              X