Father Teaches Daughter Lesson About Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
    Call me crazy, but I don't think daddy dearest would have any problems with picking up that bad-boy and having himself a book club meeting.
    Based on what?
    Facebook is not a diary. It's possible that anything stupid you post will be seen by the wrong eyes. That is a gamble you take when posting stupid shit online.

Comment

For those who didn't bother to read the link I posted, both father and daughter are amused by the rage from both sides over the matter.

They're both cool with how it came down at this point, and are getting an awful lot of amusement out of the wharrgarbl comments being posted on Youtube.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by shroo View Post
        Based on what?
        Facebook is not a diary. It's possible that anything stupid you post will be seen by the wrong eyes. That is a gamble you take when posting stupid shit online.
        Um, based on the fact that he used his l33t hax0r skillz to get around the facebook block to see what his daughter had written? Obviously he figured she had written something she wouldn't want him to see, and he was insanely curious to find out what it was. You think it's a stretch that he'd snoop in her diary? Especially if, say, he came across it's hidden location in her room?

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          He may have *found* it by accident, but that doesn't matter. He *read* it intentionally and knowing it was not meant for his eyes. It amounts to the same thing.
          So what? If it wasn't meant for his eyes, she shouldn't have publicly posted it.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Kids are reasonably expected to be immature. Adults are not.
          Again, so what? If you don't teach them how to act properly, they never will.

Originally posted by firecat88 View Post
          And who's to say that, next time, it'll just be her cell phone or something that gets a few bullets in it? (Yes, I know that's a huge exaggeration, but that guy has shown that he has no problem at all playing the Horrible Overreaction game)
          One last time...so what? So what if it's her cell phone next time? I'm sure, just like her laptop, she didn't pay for it either.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            One last time...so what? So what if it's her cell phone next time? I'm sure, just like her laptop, she didn't pay for it either.
            Actually I think firecat meant what if the dad goes postal and shoots his daughter. Apparently they've made nice about the incident (at least, in front of the cameras they've made nice - dunno if it's actually true, but whatever), so I don't think the daughter has anything to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
              Um, based on the fact that he used his l33t hax0r skillz to get around the facebook block to see what his daughter had written?
              I wasn't aware that using the family pet's Facebook account counted at "l33t hax0r skillz."

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I guess it's different when you grow up around guns, and everyone you knew growing up had a permit and had taken gun safety courses, but would people be any less enraged if he had taken a blowtorch to it, or broken it with a hammer? Of course they would, but because it's a firearm, you get the kneejerk "OMG he's a crazed killer gonna shoot up his family, AAHHH!!!"
                Disclaimer: Not talking about y'all, so nobody burst a vein. Except Smiley, and that's because he's stuck in Utah. That's stress enough, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverharp View Post
                  I guess it's different when you grow up around guns, and everyone you knew growing up had a permit and had taken gun safety courses, but would people be any less enraged if he had taken a blowtorch to it, or broken it with a hammer? Of course they would, but because it's a firearm, you get the kneejerk "OMG he's a crazed killer gonna shoot up his family, AAHHH!!!".
                  Nah, I'd be just as concerned whether he used a gun, a hammer, or a rubber chicken.

Comment

An open letter to the father
                    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                      I wasn't aware that using the family pet's Facebook account counted at "l33t hax0r skillz."

^-.-^
                      In the original video the father mentions how he had just been updating/uploading software to the daughter's computer, and then mentioned how it was stupid of her to think that an IT guy couldn't get around her facebook blocks. Hence, his l33t haxor skillz.

I'm wondering if the pet story is true or not. If it is, then I suppose seeing a giant wall of text would make the father curious enough to read it. If the dog story isn't true, I can also see a parent getting suspicious of their teenage daughter blocking them from facebook, and wanting answers.

Comment

Now that I've had some time to think about this one. I think I can understand why the father did what he did but I don't think it was the right course of action. There are so many other ways to teach her a lesson that don't involve destroying property. Okay, it may have been his property but still.

I'm guessing that he is probably divorced and the new wife and the daughter don't exactly see eye to eye.....

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

They're both cool with how it came down at this point, and are getting an awful lot of amusement out of the wharrgarbl comments being posted on Youtube.

^-.-^
                          HE says they're both cool with it.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by shroo View Post
                            Personally I liked the guy's style.

If she learns nothing else from this experience she will, hopefully, at least have a better understanding that you can't hide anything online and more often than not it will come back to bite you in the ass.
                            Having a journal wouldn't have helped.

He found her post because he logged into her Facebook page when on her computer so he could snoop.

If he is so concerned about teaching her personal responsibility then why is he the one installing the software?

Controlling much? I have met and lived with parents like this. He wants to be God.

If the girl was a friend of my daughter's then my daughter would no longer be allowed over at her house out of my very real fear that this guy has anger control problems.

My daughter has said she hates me to my face when she was pissed off unlike this guy I realize my daughter is human and that it wasn't meant as disrespect but as a way to express that she is upset.

This guy didn't accidentally stumble over anything he went looking for it.

I also note he never refuted one of her biggest complaints and the only part of her letter that even came close to disrespectful of her parents which was being made to fetch them stuff a trait many parents seem to develop.

Most of her letter was complaints about feeling like too much was asked of her.

If people really think this girl should get in trouble for venting to friends and expressing her thoughts and feelings in a safe environment. Like he pointed out she set it to private it isn't just that she blocked her parents she blocked anyone but select friends of hers.

Him looking for this is the equivalent of a parent planting a hidden camera for your kids slumber party and then punishing them when they talked about boys.

As adults we object to these kinds of uncalled for invasions yet our kids are supposed to accept them as a way of life? Bullshit.

Hey if your kid is showing signs of drug use or anything you should actually be concerned about fine check it out.

If the worst you find is that hey guess what when your kid gets mad at you they actually need to talk about it to their friends then be smart and let it go.

After all wouldn't it suck if your boss fired you for venting to your friends.
                            Jack Faire
                            Friend
                            Father
                            Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Silverharp View Post
                              Disclaimer: Not talking about y'all, so nobody burst a vein. Except Smiley, and that's because he's stuck in Utah. That's stress enough, I know.

Hell, I have to support this father's actions. Do I agree with shooting the laptop? Hard to say, I can think of a lot of better things to do with the laptop, but if he bought it, it's his to do as he pleases. I waste money on movies and video games, he wastes money on putting bullets into electronic devices... who am I to judge, we're all wasting money on something.

As far as reading the post, a lot of people are saying he should have just ignored it. Well, lets change the situation some, lets say someone posted a facebook post about how much their company sucked and how stupid their manager is and "vented" to the public about it, what do you think would happen to that employee? They'd be fired in a heartbeat and no one would be arguing over how unfair it was or how it wasn't meant for the employer to be seen. If you don't want anyone to find something, don't put it on the internet.
                              Now, he may have read her private diary, but we don't know that for certain. All we know is that she posted the family's dirty laundry on facebook, she potentially (make that most likely) exaggerated , she had done this before, and she was told if she did it again she would lose the laptop. How many here (and on CS) have complained about parents who coddle their kids and don't follow through with discipline?
                              As far as how bad she has it, oh even if she is being 100% honest (which I doubt), then she is in for a very rude awakening when the real world (which she will be entering in two to three years) when she is expected to do all those chores (and more) and not only not get paid for it, but actually PAY to do it (the Chlorox company does not provide me bleach out of the kindness of their heart, same goes with Comit, Windex, and all the other fine companies I have to buy supplies from). Hell, her parents are paying her, they have given her free food, free rent, and most likely free medical care for her entire life so far. The agreement I had with my mother was that I didn't have to do chores if I was willing to pay 1/3 of the household expenses and buy my own food (hell, she'd still throw in the healthcare). The whole having to go to bed at 10... welcome to adulthood, except if you are going to college and working, at 10 you will be tired enough to go to bed, but you won't be able to because you still have more work to do. This girl needed a real healthy dose of reality, which whether or not we agree with the father's methods, is exactly what he provided her.
                              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                                As far as reading the post, a lot of people are saying he should have just ignored it. Well, lets change the situation some, lets say someone posted a facebook post about how much their company sucked and how stupid their manager is and "vented" to the public about it, what do you think would happen to that employee? They'd be fired in a heartbeat and no one would be arguing over how unfair it was or how it wasn't meant for the employer to be seen. If you don't want anyone to find something, don't put it on the internet.
                                Again he didn't find it by going online. He found it by going through her computer to her face book page because she didn't air this to the public. She aired it to her friends and only her friends.

What your looking for is, "What if your boss hacked your face book account saw you wrote a private message bashing the company and fired you for it"

She could have written this in a diary her dad still would have found it and still would have had the same reaction.

He is trying to control her thoughts. She didn't actually do anything wrong.

That's why this is so messed up. She didn't go running around to the world screaming "My parents are pieces of shit" She didn't even say that in the letter.

The only part where she even insulted them personally was the one part the dad didn't address. She complained about having to do chores. Seriously if my parents had ever punished me for that I would consider it seriously messed up.

He is punishing her purely because she vented her frustrations. What is she supposed to do tell her friends, "I love my dad he is a god and the most awesome person and they never ever upset me."

People see Internet and they think, "Oh no privacy there" yet the same people complain about assholes hiding behind anonymity. Take out the internet say he overheard her and her friends talking about their parents at a slumber party where again only her friends are hearing this and he would have reacted the same.

In your boss analogy if the post was public the boss would explain how what the person did tarnishes the reputation of the company. This guy's whole gripe was his daughter's attitude.

Obviously since he never said she doesn't do them she does her chores. So he isn't punishing her for not doing them he is punishing her for being upset that she has to do them even though clearly she didn't berate him to his face for it.

He isn't looking for respect he is looking for fear.

Yes if my boss started hacking my account and looking at my private posts I would call it unfair and messed up if I got fired for it.
                                Jack Faire
                                Friend
                                Father
                                Smartass

Comment

Working...
                                X