Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Twitter a newspaper, or is it the phone company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Twitter a newspaper, or is it the phone company?

Saw this link from my G+ stream. So it seems someone is trying to sue Twitter for defamation from a single tweet. It also looks like this is after the person sued the author of the tweet.

My opinion: From what I understand, Twitter only steps in when there is a complaint. So Twitter is more like a moderator to help keep the servers running and make sure no one is abusing the system.

Link 1: Is Twitter a newspaper, or is it the phone company?

Link 2: Twitter Sued in Australia for Defamation

Link 3: Man sues Twitter over hate blog

What are your thoughts on this?

Definitely more like the phone company.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If he thinks he's got a leg to stand on, there's gotta be a hell of a lot more than I thought going on...
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

There was a similar case some years ago over here - a UK ISP by the name of Demon got into hot water.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/364261.stm for the end result.

In short, someone posted defamatory statements on a usenet group that Demon hosted. The law treated Demon as a publisher, someone with the ability to monitor every item put up there. However, the real reason they failed in their attempt to throw it out was they had been notified on more than one occasion about how the posts were defamatory and should be removed, and the appelant had proof of this, so they simply didn't act.

If a libellous post were put on CS.com or here, for example, and the person who felt aggrieved contacted us and didn't remove it, we'd be held partially liable for the libel resulting if anything were proved in court as being libellous.

Some UK-based legal background. I think the law may have changed since then over here to take on board the way the Internet works.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

God that's going to be difficult because then it brings in "opinion versus stated fact" argument too.

Simple way to get around Libel.

Don't state something as fact state it as your opinion and then the person can lose their leg to stand on.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

"It's my opinion that you fucked a sheep in the middle of Harrod's front window yesterday evening."

Any competent judge would say that's no defence at all.

I'm also worried that the first thing that came to mind was sheep fucking.

Rapscallion
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm not sure about Australian law, but in the US, things such as forums, blogs with comments, etc, are protected by 'safe harbor' laws as long as it can be determined that they have no control over the content.

I imagine, what with Twitter being essentially a peer to peer comment network, they'd have zero control over the content of tweets and thus zero liability for the content of tweets.

It's the same thing that protects eBay from being successfully sued over Feedback comments, and why they're very specific about what it takes to get a comment removed.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Frankly, sounds like he didn't get as much money as he wanted from the original Tweeter so he's going after bigger game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                  "It's my opinion that you fucked a sheep in the middle of Harrod's front window yesterday evening."
                  Rapscallion
                  That's not an opinion at all.

I am talking something like, "You are a dishonest douchebag" libel

"I feel like you are a dishonest douchebag" Opinion

If you state an event that is always fact but if you state an interpretation of the person as an opinion then it wasn't "definitively" declaring them to be that you were just expressing your point of view and since you made that clear to your readers well it was up to them to make up their own minds.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                    That's not an opinion at all.
                    It's stated as an opinion.

Rapscallion
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                      It's stated as an opinion.

Rapscallion
                      No it's not. Putting the words "It's an opinion" in front of something doesn't make it stated as an opinion.

It's only stated as an opinion if it is a proven fact that someone fucked a sheep in the middle of Harrod's front window yesterday afternoon then your saying in your opinion it was this guy is an opinion.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

No it's not. Putting the words "It's an opinion" in front of something doesn't make it stated as an opinion.
                        Oh. Right.

Don't state something as fact state it as your opinion and then the person can lose their leg to stand on.
                        Rapscallion
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I am sorry let me break it down.

When I say state something as an opinion instead of stating it as a fact I mean that a fact cannot be an opinion period.

You cannot say that Bob is a lying asshole douchebag, or Bob stole the Maltese Falcon, or Bob was the killer.

Now saying that you think bob is a lying asshole douchebag well that's an opinion because it isn't a statement of fact.

Saying, "I think Bob stole the Maltese Falcon" isn't an opinion it's an accusation, "It's my opinion that Bob stole the Maltese Falcon" isn't an opinion it's an accusation

An accusation is along the lines of a fact because it is step one of establishing something as fact.

But like I said you can restate something as an opinion that isn't strictly a fact.

Saying that Bob is a lying asshole douchebag is stating it as a fact but if you say that's what you think of Bob then your admitting it isn't a fact and that there is the possibility your wrong.

You can't make an accusation, saying you think a fact is true, an opinion because you can't make an accusation and say your possibly wrong at the same time.

You can if you make it conjecture and in the same breath admit, "But I could also be wrong and if I am I apologize" By stating something as fact and not adding on layers of "why I could be wrong" if you turn out to be wrong then it's libel or slander given the medium.
                          Last edited by jackfaire; 02-25-2012, 05:19 AM.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

I am sorry let me break it down.
                            My apologies also for doing exactly what you said to do.

Rapscallion
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Is it really so hard to have a discussion on what legally qualifies as opinion in cases of alleged slander without devolving into juvenile taunts?

This isn't the first thread that's dropped to schoolyard-level antics, either, which really brings down the forum as a whole.

Anyway...

Jackfaire's point is valid: You can't say something like, "It's my opinion that you fucked a sheep in the middle of Harrod's front window yesterday evening," and expect the "it's my opinion" disclaimer to get you out of charges of slander. You either have to make a statement supported by facts, or make a statement of opinion that is not something that can be proven true or false. Something that is provable as true or false isn't a valid opinion statement.

Now, if you said, "It's my opinion that you would fuck a sheep in the middle of Harrod's front window," you would be protected. You aren't saying that the person is or is not a exhibitionist sheep-fucker, merely that you think the person is the type who would be inclined to fuck sheep in public.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X