Is OWS being killed by OWS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is OWS being killed by OWS?

I think that a lot of what the OWS groups have to say is a good message.
    Make the politicians accountable for their crimes, especially the ones that they made legal just for them. Stop the deregulation that has made it possible for a smaller and smaller percentage of the coutry's wealthy to amass more and more of the resources, etc.
    BUT then you get the fanatics
    Blocking traffic here in Portland on a bridge one day for over an hour
    Taking to downtown streets on another day to block traffic there, again for over an hour in the times when people are trying to get to work
    Blocking the entrances to the docks so that truck drivers and longshoremen can't get to work.
    Let's not forget the MILLIONS of dollars of damage done to public parks when setting up the rapidly dwindling tent cities.

And my personal favorites, the fake news stories, most recently a woman who was supposedly attacked by cops at an OWS demonstration who was, in reality, injured 4 years ago at a labor dispute demonstration, and the fake "get a job" reciept and web site (now taken down after being debunked)

So the question is...is the OWS movement being destroyed by its own fanatics?
    Last edited by Silverharp; 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM.

Originally posted by Silverharp View Post
    So the question is...is the OWS movement being destroyed by its own fanatics?
    Pretty much. I think most people can agree that the rich are going to keep getting richer and everyone else isn't with the way our economy currently works. But things really haven't gotten so bad for the masses that enough people want to do something about it.

The other problem is that who do these protests really hurt? Are they hurting the 1% or are they just pissing off the rest of the 99%? When they block bridges, block people's paths to work, who are they hurting? The average Joe who is just trying to make a living. And that's hurt a lot of their support.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      When they block bridges, block people's paths to work, who are they hurting? The average Joe who is just trying to make a living. And that's hurt a lot of their support.
      here the late night loud protests were in an area mainly populated by college students, the upscale area(where the state governor lives) is maybe a mile away, not one protest.
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Protesting at the rich wold be pointless: They know what they're doing and they're not going to stop.

The protest is to wake the common person out of their stupor and get them to realize how screwed up everything really is. Unfortunately, unless you end up inconveniencing people, the vast majority will never even notice.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          The protest is to wake the common person out of their stupor and get them to realize how screwed up everything really is. Unfortunately, unless you end up inconveniencing people, the vast majority will never even notice.

^-.-^
          Or just don't agree. It's a matter of perspective if a person with a nice house, good car, comfortable job and living trys to tell me how evil the 1% is it doesn't hold a lot of weight because it comes across as

"dammit why can't I have a yacht" especially when that is the kinds of things I hear. Not "they should shoulder more in taxes" or anything but mostly, "why do they get the private jets and the yachts."

Yes some people have legitimate beef but for others it's basically being upset that they have to work for a living and of course people are always considered to be in a "stupor" if they like the way they live.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Here, the "Occupy Pittsburgh" people were seen as a joke. Mainly...because many of them *had* jobs, and didn't even live in the "tent city ghetto" that they'd erected. They'd work their 9-5, spend a couple of hours being with the dirty hippies, and then would return to the comfort of their hotel or dorm room.

The biggest problem with those idiots? They weren't bothering the "1%" at all. Instead, they were harassing people who simply worked at the various corporations downtown. They were bothering the "99%" that they claim to represent. Way to get people over to your side, assholes

Comment

I completely changed the route I take to and from work so that I can avoid the downtown area and the protests because seriously I don't need people screaming rhetoric at me.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Working...
              X