Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccines Forced on Student

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/106926.html

The mom had specifically signed a waiver saying her kid couldn't be given any medical treatment without her consent. Well, the kid was pulled from her class to the nurse's office where she was given four vaccines. Mother was never called.

Now, I think not vaccinating your kids is a dumb thing to do, but you can't just drag someone's kid out of class and start shoving needles in them anyway.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

A slightly less biased account with slightly more detail at Channel 5.

Unfortunately, there's so very little actual data in either report, it's impossible to know what precisely happened.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There's enough information to tell us that they gave her kid four shots without her permission.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

We know that the school had a signed notice saying not to give the teen any medications.

We also know that the clinic gave the girl 4 shots.

While we know that the ball was dropped horrifically, the idea that it was done maliciously has no basis.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This either came down to funding, quotas, or just some overzealous asshat that didn't bother looking anything up. What I'd like to know is if the student said anything about them not being allowed to vaccinate her before they did it.
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
            This either came down to funding, quotas, or just some overzealous asshat that didn't bother looking anything up. What I'd like to know is if the student said anything about them not being allowed to vaccinate her before they did it.
            That's a good question that I didn't see addressed in either of the previous news links.

Either way, had that been me in that child's place . . . I'd be loudly demanding my mother be called immediately. Luckily the school I attended didn't give shots to kids (but then this was back in the 1980's when I was in high school - it's totally different ball game now, so to speak.)

Whether or not the child in question did inform the nurse of anything doesn't diminish the fact that the mother had a signed statement on file with the school requesting her daughter not be given treatment unless she (the mother) gave consent.

I'd say the mother has grounds for a lawsuit against the school and the nurse who gave the vaccinations.
            If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Originally posted by DGoddess View Post
              Luckily the school I attended didn't give shots to kids (but then this was back in the 1980's when I was in high school - it's totally different ball game now, so to speak.)
              They didn't, at least in my area, up until 2006 when I graduated high school. Though I suppose things could have changed in the last five-six years.

Comment

The high school that I attended did offer some vaccines and medical/dental services. I think it depends on the school. My school district was in a very poor area and the services were offered for students whose parents could not afford them.

I do not remember having any vaccines given to me at the school. I think that parents had to sign up in advance for those. The physical and dental exams were mandatory. Every student would be taken in small groups to the nurses office each year. Once for a physical and once for a dental exam. I always thought that was beyond the schools authority. I hated having to undress for a random doctor that I had never met before when I had a pediatrician that I had gone to for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Glados View Post
                  The physical and dental exams were mandatory. Every student would be taken in small groups to the nurses office each year. Once for a physical and once for a dental exam. I always thought that was beyond the schools authority. I hated having to undress for a random doctor that I had never met before when I had a pediatrician that I had gone to for years.
                  Interesting. The only thing like that any school I've been to had was a scoliosis screening in 8th grade. During teeth week (it wasn't called that, but you get the idea) in 3rd grade we did have something with tablets that turn plaque red, but I think we took those home to use.

We also know that the clinic gave the girl 4 shots.
                  I'd say we don't even know that for sure. What we know so far is only that a mom (apparently with an axe to grind against vaccinations) *claims* her daughter was given shots. Unless it's confirmed by someone other than family, I won't actively disbelieve it happened, but will certainly take that claim with a large dose of salt.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If the school didn't give her shots, why all the mystery instead of just saying, "Um, no we didn't. We have no idea what you are talking about."

Comment

Treating it as a hypothetical, using the information provided so far:

The school was in the wrong.

For all the school knows, the child is allergic to what the standard vaccines for (x, y and z) are grown with; and has been given the alternate vaccines for (x, y and z) by her own family doctor.

Or the child is immune deficient, and her family doctor has consulted with the parents and determined that for whatever reasons, this particular kid needs to rely on herd immunity.

Or there is some other medical reason - perhaps the child is temporarily immune deficient, and the child's medical team plans to give the vaccinations in six months or so. Or they already have the vaccinations done. Or they don't want the vaccinations done at this time because of some planned medical intervention. Or something I can't think of right now.

Perhaps there is a family belief that interferes with vaccination, for some non-medical reason.
                      (Personally, I think the empirical evidence for vaccination overrides just about any family belief; but I'll grant that my right to swing my fist ends at your nose. Equally, my right to approach you with a vaccination needle ends at your arm.)

Comment

This story have almost no information to go with it.
                        But hey, hypotheticals!

Another possibility is that the girl isn't against vaccinations like her mother is.
                        She could have very easily forged her mum's signature, hell, I used to do it all the time in school. At this point, the school would have assumed they were given direct permission to vaccinate the girl.
                        Following this possibility, she could have had an allergic reaction that she was not aware she had several days later. This forced her to have to confess to her mother as to what she'd done so she could be taken in for medical treatment.
                        At this point, the mother could have decided that her innocent daughter would never voluntarily go against her wishes, so obviously the school must have dragged her kicking and screaming up to the vaccination booth. Therefore, the school is evil.

I love hypotheticals. The possibilities are endless!
                        "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
                        Josh Thomas

Comment

The second article implies that the mother was not so much against vaccines but upset that she was not involved in the decision. It mentions that it was the HPV vaccine that "touched a nerve". That particular vaccine has had some very bad press and is not a mandatory vaccine for school students.

I am not defending the school here. The child in question is 14 and should know if she is allergic etc. I don't think that the issue the mom has is allergies but that, as a parent, she should be given final say in medical decisions.

I would be furious if any medical treatment was given to my children without my consent. In my case, it would be upsetting just because I would not have the opportunity to ask questions and make an informed decision. I have met too many doctors who push unnecessary treatments. It a hang up of mine.

Comment

From what I gather, it appears that the daughter didn't think it was any big deal; the mother stated, "She comes home, hands me the envelope with the shot record in it that they gave her at school. And when I looked at it I said, 'What is this?' And she was like 'They gave me shots, and they took blood, and they took urine.'"

The reaction the girl had was likely to the HPV vaccination, which has a about a 0.003% chance of causing urticaria (hives). And despite the mother's claim of "more than 100 deaths," that just isn't true. There are only 71 reports of death after vaccination, and only 34 of those were actually confirmed.

Still trying to find more details, but other than primarily anti-vaccine and particularly anti-Gardasil sites, there's not much out there beyond the mother's interview and the school and clinic commenting that they are taking the allegations seriously.

One thing I note is that the mother says she signed the anti-permissions slip, but it's never said to whom that slip was given, while the school notes that they instruct the parents, due to privacy concerns, to give that form directly to the nurse. It's quite possible that this woman or her daughter either gave it to the wrong people or that it never got turned in at all.

^-.-^

Comment

The school might be forbidden to say anything at this point because 1) the clinic did the shots, not the school and 2) HIPPA.

Comment

Working...
                              X