Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for confrontation

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...or-case-fired/

TL;DR Retired marine confronted a man for bragging about things he supposedly did in Iran including killing children and being awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. She was fired for the confrontation. He was given 1 yr probation and community service for Stolen Valor..

Personally I have many friends and a few family members that serve today and know what people do to earn those honors. If I ever heard of someone bragging unjustly about their "service" yes I would confront them just as she did by asking questions to see if there was more to the story and she got a raw deal from her employer's

What do you all think?

She was an event planner and hostess to what amounts to local dignitaries; it's outside the scope or allowance of her job to confront assholes she happens to be serving, even politely, so it's not at all surprising that she might be let go over the affair. I don't blame her for doing what she did, but I don't really blame her employers, either, all things considered.

However, I'm glad the lying shit got convicted for being a lying shit.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It creates an ethical question I guess: if you hear something that you shouldn't that results in a criminal offence (or military offence in this case), is it your duty to ensure that the person is held responsible?

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        However, I'm glad the lying shit got convicted for being a lying shit.
        Lying asshole didn't get nearly what he deserves.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Perhaps not, but he got the stated punishment, which is all he can really be given.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Did she actually confront him or just report him? Maybe I skimmed the article too quickly.

If she actualy confronted him on the job and made a scene, then she probably deserves to get fired. If she got fired for later reporting it to the FBI, she needs to torch that business.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
              Did she actually confront him or just report him? Maybe I skimmed the article too quickly.

If she actualy confronted him on the job and made a scene, then she probably deserves to get fired. If she got fired for later reporting it to the FBI, she needs to torch that business.
              I read through the article. It looks like the guy was making all these claims, and she was suspicious, so she asked him a couple questions, being Marine Corp herself. After the second or third question, he told her he wasn't answering anymore saying "I know what you're doing and i don't like it"

She turned his own words on him saying "I know what YOU'RE doing, and I don't like it." She then reported him to the FBI, who were already investigating.

I'm torn. Yes, it was unprofessional, that one line, but other than that, she was simply asking questions because she was, at first, in AWE of the man, since she'd rather meet a medal recipient than a movie star, then she was suspicious.

On the other hand, I AM a military brat and people like that piss me off, as I think it belittles what service men and women go through to earn those medals. I am glad it is illegal to falsely claim being a recipient, and I only wish the punishments were harsher.

Further, I'm impressed she's taking the highroad after being fired. She doesn't want anything more to do with the case. She refused to go to the sentencing, the Supreme Court hearing about the case, and she's refused every lawyer who has called asking her if she wants to sue her former employers. She did what she thought was right, was fired, and moved on, having found another job. I find that admirable and impressive. I don't think I could be that polite or professional myself, I'd probably be raising hell in my own way.

Comment

My guess is he complained to her employer that she was harassing him and they fired her before the truth came out.
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I'm not sure what to think about all of this. I don't think she should have gotten fired but then again, I don't agree with the Stolen Valor Act. If Mr. Alvarez was trying to use that for some sort of financial gain, then I think that would fall under the category of fraud. If he was using it to puff up his chest, he could get away with it for a while until someone in the know confronted him about it. With all the crap that does go on, I think the FBI has better things to do with their time.

But wow, 25 years in Marine Recon with a stint in Delta too....Never mind that Delta is an Army unit. I'm surprised he wasn't a SEAL to boot.

Comment

Stolen valor is a despicable thing.

Kudos for the lady.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                      I don't agree with the Stolen Valor Act.
                      The military are worshiped here. Hence why people get upset about pretenders.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Me neither, from what I've read about it. It's one of those things where I think "So it's ok to lie about ANYTHING ELSE, but lie about military service and go to jail?" Seems extreme.

I think anyone who lies about the military is a douchebag, but I think anyone who lies about the tour they did as bass player for metallica is a douchebag too. Let's just make lying illlegal, or not illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                          The military are worshiped here. Hence why people get upset about pretenders.
                          I get upset about people pretending to be in the military too but I don't think there should be a law against it. Now if someone goes through the effort to make themselves a military uniform and uses it for personal gain, that should be fraud.

Comment

It was actually struck down as unconstitutional (which it is) back in 2010, three years after the incident took place.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              It was actually struck down as unconstitutional (which it is) back in 2010, three years after the incident took place.

^-.-^
                              Good. Usually when people pretend they were in the military, they aren't satisfied with something like, "Oh I was a desk clerk at Elmendorf Air Force Base" or "I was an Aviation Mechanic on the USS Enterprise". They go for stuff like, "I was one of the SEALS that brought down Bin Laden" or "I was an Army Ranger" or one of the higher profile positions. When they do that, they tend to be alot more transparent than they think they are. Also, it seems like it ends with them getting awarded a Silver Star or Bronze Star or something. So around normal people, they can get away with it but when they start running into either people who were in the military or people who study the military, their stories start to fall apart.....And hell, if they want to live that lie, I guess I'm fine with that until they start using it for personal gain.

Comment

Working...
                              X