Don't Read That Book Out Loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
    "Happy Birthday" is actually in the public domain.
    Not unless things have changed recently. That's why you never hear "Happy Birthday" sung in restaurants or in tv/movies/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
      Not unless things have changed recently. That's why you never hear "Happy Birthday" sung in restaurants or in tv/movies/whatever.
      Too much to quote and paste in here, so just read the link from Wikipedia
      Last edited by crashhelmet; 03-19-2012, 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

And that, right there, is a highlight of everything that's wrong with our ever-lengthening copyright system.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Huh, I could have sworn it was public domain. Or maybe I translated 'should be' to 'is' in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            And that, right there, is a highlight of everything that's wrong with our ever-lengthening copyright system.

^-.-^
            Here in .au, there has been a copyright court case that was covered quite thoroughly.

Who here hasn't heard the song, Down Under, by Men at Work? Quintessential Aussie Rock.

Well, in 1932, a woman working for the Girl Guides wrote a song called "Kookaburra lives in the old gum tree". Pretty famous song, and is played around the world to this day.

A <redacted> who owns Larrikin Music bought the rights to the song in the 90s, and proceeded to sue Men at Work for a gigantic slice of all the royalties of their song Down Under, because it has 11 notes that come from Kookaburra.

The court eventually ruled that Men at Work owed 5% of their royalties from the time Larrikin purchased the copyright, instead of 50% from when they first released the song.

Comment

Working...
            X