Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graffiti punishment=castration?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226300861326

What a douchebag. How on earth does castrating someone prevent them from going out and doing it again? if anything, they'll be more likely to WANT to do it again since they won't have to worry about getting hit between the legs.

Also what about females? Cut off their breasts?

Making that sort of statement while holding that sort of position is rather akin to telling the world that you aren't qualified to hold that sort of position. >_<

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Where does it say he was proposing this as an actual punishment?

(Meanwhile, if that *were* the legal penalty, the purpose wouldn't be to stop that particular person from doing it again, but to 1) punish them for having done it in the first place and 2) serve as an example to others. Both are legitimate purposes of punishment, and both would be served by that severing. And no, I don't think it's a good idea.)
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Making that sort of statement while holding that sort of position is rather akin to telling the world that you aren't qualified to hold that sort of position. >_<

^-.-^
        The fact that he is a politician indicates that he is unqualified to be one.

Comment

Castration for graffitti?!! That's just asinine. I can understand for pedophiles and rapists but for graffitti?!! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!
          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

I remember being disgusted at the tags all over Manhattan Bridge while I was in NYC. I'd be in favor of making taggers clean up the filth they created, while the regular bridge painters get paid to stand there and laugh at them. Or perhaps put them in the stocks with signs around their necks saying "i defaced a 100 year old landmark. Don't be an asshole like me", and providing a bowl of markers for passers-by to tag those taggers with.

But castration? That's just ridiculous.

Comment

Punishment should be proportionate to the crime. This is really, really unbalanced
              A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Well he is a vet.. he's used to cutting off balls all day

In saying that, the man sounds like a Grade A Douche, but he wasn't suggesting it as an actual legal punishment. Comments made in jest, and may be in poor taste yes, but serious.. I doubt it!

*Oh Lord, I just defended a politician. I think I need a doctor!*
                You're Perfect Yes It's True.. But Without Me You're Only You!

Comment

I think the comment was made more in frustration than anything. I know how he feels, I've had my property tagged and tagged and tagged. I was getting heat from the city and county, neighbors and "community" leaders to do something about it. I'd clean it off and the next day it was back. I put up security cameras (good cameras at that) turn the footage over to the police and they would do nothing with it. So yeah I got frustrated. There was times if I had my hands on him I would have strangled him to within an inch of his life. Eventually the city threatened to fine me $50 a day when the graffiti was present, never mind the fact the police wouldn't investigate. I finally hired a retired federal agent to track this kid down, he explained the facts of life to him.
                  Business is expensive enough as it is but having to spend extra money to clean and/or paint over some little bastards "artwork"??? No, if takes getting his balls cut off to get his attention then it's his own fault, he knew when he started he was doing wrong. He doesn't deserve compassion, if he doesn't want to be punished then don't break the law. If you're gonna break the law then at least be a man and take the punishment and stop being a pussy.
                  Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Does anyone else see the inherently comical commentary of "being a man" over a punishment of emasculation?

I keep trying to explain to people that you can imply that someone is a gutless coward and a pathetic worm without being misogynistic about it.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                      Business is expensive enough as it is but having to spend extra money to clean and/or paint over some little bastards "artwork"??? No, if takes getting his balls cut off to get his attention then it's his own fault, he knew when he started he was doing wrong. He doesn't deserve compassion, if he doesn't want to be punished then don't break the law. If you're gonna break the law then at least be a man and take the punishment and stop being a pussy.
                      Hans't anyone ever thought of giving the offender a can of paint to repaint the wall?
                      edit:
                      Originally posted by Amanita View Post
                      I remember being disgusted at the tags all over Manhattan Bridge while I was in NYC. I'd be in favor of making taggers clean up the filth they created, while the regular bridge painters get paid to stand there and laugh at them. Or perhaps put them in the stocks with signs around their necks saying "i defaced a 100 year old landmark. Don't be an asshole like me", and providing a bowl of markers for passers-by to tag those taggers with.

But castration? That's just ridiculous.
                      Yes someone has.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                        Does anyone else see the inherently comical commentary of "being a man" over a punishment of emasculation?

I keep trying to explain to people that you can imply that someone is a gutless coward and a pathetic worm without being misogynistic about it.

^-.-^

And that's the best you got??? It was not my intention to be misogynistic as I was operating with the thought that the female of the species would have better sense than to do something like this. Obvisously I was mistaken.
                        Of all the vandalism I've delt with over the years very very little has been caused by women-folk. Perhaps you need to dial back the gender sensitivity a little and then "maybe" you'll stop reading sexism in where it was certainly not intended. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting.
                        Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

And that's the best you got???
                          I'm sorry, I thought this was supposed to be a mature discussion of various topics and not some schoolyard level genitalia-waving battle. Apparently one of us is on the wrong forum.

It was not my intention to be misogynistic as I was operating with the thought that the female of the species would have better sense than to do something like this.
                          That may not have been your intent, but that is the intent of the language you used; it specifically indicates that being a man is to be desired and being thought of as a "pussy" (aka womanly) is to be avoided; purely sexist language and a shortcut for the lazy and/or simplistic.

And then you go off in the other direction with your "female ... would have better sense."

^-.-^

Comment

First off, let me state that I would not support this measure if it were suggested for serious consideration.

Nonetheless, I tend to find myself wanting to be nonchalant towards harsh punishments. Sure, we can fret about how the "punishment should fit the crime," and I guess it should. But on the same token, don't commit the crime and you won't have to worry about the punishment to begin with.

For example, one time back in high school, one of my classmates skipped one of her classes. As punishment, the vice-principal gave her five days' closed lunch. Background info: At my high school, the 11th and 12th graders were allowed to leave school during lunch. By giving her closed lunch, the vice-principal was forbidding her from going out to lunch for five days. She whined about how that punishment was too harsh for "just skipping ONE class." I thought to myself "Well, maybe so, but if you hadn't skipped class, you wouldn't even be in this boat to begin with. Think of that next time you want to ditch."

http://www.fratching.com/showthread....ight=graffitti

There's a thread I posted a while ago about a kid in my city who was given a year in jail for graffiti. People thought that was too harsh, and maybe it was, but if this goober could have just put the friggin spray can down, he wouldn't be spending a year of his life in the slammer. Though I think a better solution would have been to make him clean up some of his "artwork" (it's not art, btw).

Comment

Working...
                            X